PDA

View Full Version : Beta or "Offical Release"

Lunatic973
12-30-2009, 06:25 PM
This might be a dumb question but what's the safest, or suggested version to always run? I always thought that beta meant the version was untested and may not have all the bugs worked out. Am I correct? And if this is the case, am I going to have less bugs with the "official version"?

fozzy71
12-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Most of the time you are fine with the latest release version, but the first thing we always suggest anytime you have an importing or HUD problem, is to update to the latest beta. You can always downgrade versions if you found a bug in the beta that you didnt like. Sometimes it becomes necessary for you to run a beta version, if a site updates their hand histories, we will usually update the beta version, but not the last release version. At that point, you need to use the beta version. We are working on implementing the auto update system finally, so it shouldnt be much of an issue for too much longer.

Lunatic973
12-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Great, thanks for the response. Just updated from 1.09 beta 40 to the new 1.10 beta 6, it went very smooth, no problems. I like the new interface, as it's slightly different but not so much that it would take time to get used to.

Didace
12-31-2009, 10:14 AM
if a site updates their hand histories, we will usually update the beta version, but not the last release version.
Please stop doing this.

I have no interest in being a beta tester.

I know sometimes it's hard to avoid - like last summer when PS and FT made major changes - but minor changes should be put in the official release. After all, it is the "Official Release".

Patvs
12-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Are you serious??

First of all you're no beta tester.
Every beta before it's released, is released as an alpha release, and fozzy/fabio/netsrak/roy/patvs etc test it.

Secondly, whether we call the release 1.10 beta 6 or 1.10.06 FINAL makes no difference. Whenever ANY poker room decides to change something:
-change something in their handhistories...
-in their software
-adds a new type of SNG/MTT/cash type (recently: run-it-twice, ante, SUPER TURBO MTT, etc.)

...HoldemManager needs to update. So why would you refuse to update to the latest version?

Didace
12-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Are you serious??Yes.

First of all you're no beta tester.
Every beta before it's released, is released as an alpha release, and fozzy/fabio/netsrak/roy/patvs etc test it. I understand the difference between "alpha" releases and "beta" releases. Do you?

Secondly, whether we call the release 1.10 beta 6 or 1.10.06 FINAL makes no difference. Whenever ANY poker room decides to change something:
-change something in their handhistories...
-in their software
-adds a new type of SNG/MTT/cash type (recently: run-it-twice, ante, SUPER TURBO MTT, etc.)

...HoldemManager needs to update.Of course it does. I'm saying make the updates needed to keep up with the site changes to the "official" release.

So why would you refuse to update to the latest version?Because I read the beta release thread and see all the problems users have that are caused by the new features (you know, the ones in "beta" testing). Why would I willingly subject myself to that if I don't need to? Yes, once you get pretty far into the new version it seems to be stable. But you never know when one of the new features will be tweaked and cause problems.

I don't want to make it seem like this is a major complaint. HEM is a great product and a great value with superior support. I recommend it to anyone that asks. I've read where things are being worked on that will make it less user intensive for updates. I'm waiting for the day that I don't need to constantly check these forums before making a decision to update that may or may not cause me problems. I'm also hoping that when this is done I won't need to "roll back" because the update contained new "beta" features that broke what was working.

fozzy71
01-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Of course it does. I'm saying make the updates needed to keep up with the site changes to the "official" release.

All this would be is the exact same updated beta version we release, with a different name. It would be a waste of time to only add the new hand parsing to the last official release, or to try and strip out all of the updates since the last official release, so that it only has the new hand history parsing update. Our 1.09 Official Release, was the exact same release as our 1.09 Beta 43. We cant make it official, unless it was a beta first.