PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete or startup postgres

IwantBorokov
12-28-2009, 07:15 PM
When I open HM, database control opens and I have to try and connect to postgres (this has been this way ever since I put HM + postgres on my external HDD and it has been working like this for over a monthà). However when I get the dialog box displaying the following text: A connection to postgresQL could not be made. Would like to have HM start the service for you? and I then click yes I get the following dialog box: Sorry, HM was unable to start the service.

I have already tried to remove HM using add/remove software in control panel however when I try to do so I get the following error: The folder path 'Holdem Manager' contains an invalid character.

How can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Patvs
12-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Don't reinstall HEM.
Focus on the "connection that cannot be made" which is a PostgreSQL issue.

go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and restart the PostgreSQL Service

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. If you have Vista and the checkboxes are greyed out and you can't select it, please turn UAC on, reboot, and then set the files to run as administrator.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

--

IwantBorokov
12-29-2009, 05:47 AM
I am using win XP, AVG anti-firus, and the std windows firewall.

When trying to start the service manually I get the following error:

Could not start the PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3 service on Local Computer.

Error 21: The device is not ready

I have tried to execute every step in the last link you gave me however when I try to uninstall postgres I get the following error: The folder pgadminIII contains an invalid character.

Patvs
12-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Install PostgreSQL 8.4.2 on port 5433.
Open dbcontrolpanel.exe, change the 5432 to 5433--> connect--> create a new UTF8 database.

IwantBorokov
12-29-2009, 06:17 AM
will I be able to maintain the info in my current database?

Patvs
12-29-2009, 06:42 AM
If you want to use the old database, the SQL 8.3 server must be running and must be able to connect. If it won't connect (your current problem): you must eliminate the program that's blocking the connection: usually a Firewall or Antivirus program, or maybe the lack of a important Windows update, or a change to postgreSQL.conf was made.

A simpler solution (technically it's not a solution, but it will enable you to use HM again) is to install SQL 8.4.2 on a different port 5433. If you opt to go that way, your old database will remain in tact,... but 8.4.2 will NOT be able to connect to it (as 8.3.x and 8.4.x are not compatible with each other) so you'd have to create a new database and reimport all your hands. If you have less than 1 million hands, that's what I should do.