PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars note window losing focus bug

suzzer99
12-28-2009, 12:22 PM
(Sorry for the x-post - I didn't see this forum.)

Hello, this is a really weird bug. Basically if I try to make a note on a player (in the standard PS note window) right after a hand, something happens where the table resets. Focus is moved from the note text window to the note dropdown above. So now I am typing in the dropdown and lose whatever I typed. I then have to select the player again and finish the note.

I have isolated that this only happens when the HEM HUD is running. I think something happens when the HUD resets after a hand. I play SNGs if that makes a difference.

This might not seem like much but when you 12-table and are trying to take notes it can really slow you down. Since most notes occur after a hand, this happens constantly. Right now this note problem is my biggest bottleneck.

Thanks.

fozzy71
12-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Try using keyboardredirect.ahk. It will maintain keyboard focus on whatever window your mouse cursor is over. If you click and start typing in a chat/note window, no other windows can steal focus.

http://overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/KeyboardRedirect

suzzer99
12-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks Fozzy. I'm pretty sure I've already tried that script. But I will try it again to make sure. The problem isn't other windows stealing focus, it's the focus moving from the chat text box (where you type) to the chat dropdown (where you select the player). This always happens in-between hands, I think when the HUD is doing some kind of reset or when it displays the cards from the previous hand.

fozzy71
12-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Oh, then it must be Pokerstars' fault. :rolleyes:

suzzer99
12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Not sure what you mean here. But I have tested this and I'm pretty sure it only happens when the HEM HUD is running.

Do this: Start typing a note right as the hand is ending, with the HUD running. When the table resets the focus should switch from the note window to the note dropdown (where each player's name is listed, just above the text window). Now shut of the HEM HUD and do the same thing. You can keep typing between hands and never lose focus.

fozzy71
01-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Not sure what you mean here. But I have tested this and I'm pretty sure it only happens when the HEM HUD is running.

Do this: Start typing a note right as the hand is ending, with the HUD running. When the table resets the focus should switch from the note window to the note dropdown (where each player's name is listed, just above the text window). Now shut of the HEM HUD and do the same thing. You can keep typing between hands and never lose focus.

I was being sarcastic. ;)

Now that you gave some detailed instructions I will try and reproduce this.

B-Money
01-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Suzzer99,
Got your email and I checked this out.

First thing I did was make sure things work like you say they should without HEM open. Unfortunately every time it was my turn to act, the PS note system moved it's focus from the notes to the name. This also happened after a hand was over.

If I'm not understanding this correctly, let me know, but the behavior you describe happens without Holdem Manager even open.

GL,
-B

suzzer99
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Ok I'm confused as heck right now. I honestly can't tell the exact conditions needed to reproduce this. It could be some combination of HUD, AHK and PS and only under certain conditions.

What I am pretty certain of is that the root cause is that PS does move focus from the note box to the note name dropdown when you act. The screenshots below show what happens. In the first screenshot the focus is still in the note text box (you can't see the blinking cursor in the screenshot), but trust me it's there. Now in the second screenshot as soon as I act, the focus is moved up the note dropdown, which you can tell because it's highlighted in blue. This is just PS running w/o HEM or the AHK script.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6908/01022010100439.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7623/01022010100456.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

So this is kind of a bug. But it really doesn't matter too much because the user expects to have to click back into the note box after taking action anyway. And most of the time you want to take a note it's after a hand, not while you're still active in one. So, sadly I think that means good luck getting this anywhere near the top of the PS bug priority list. :( Although it really is dumb that you can even type in the note dropdown. The annoying thing about that is that if you accidentally type a few letters, you have to reselect the person you wanted to take a note about.

I am still trying to replicate exactly what set of conditions cause the focus to jump to the note dropdown when you're trying to type a not after a hand. I think something in AHK might be clicking something on the table causing the focus to jump. I know it happens when you bust because clicking on the bust alert that pops up (either manually of with AHK) causes the note focus to jump. But I know it's not only when you bust, because with the debusitifer I only have 5 seconds to leave a note, and I can remember plenty of times having to come back to the note box and leave long notes, and not feeling like I had to rush.