PDA

View Full Version : Postgres 8.4?

El Helado
12-26-2009, 06:42 PM
I tried to search for the thread but it appears that this forum have problems searching for numbers or so, because nothing showed.

I heard postgres 8.4 is faster and better and now that I run win 7, someone told me that I should get that. Is that true? Will the same guide work? Is there any performance benefits using this newer version?

EDIT; Google was better but in this thread (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/showthread.php?t=12925) there wasnt a clear answer. Is it faster or will it just cause more problems :S? Should I pick 8.3 or 8.4 :S?

Patvs
12-26-2009, 07:22 PM
It's definitely not faster. Unless you have a dual Xenon processor.

But the SQL team did do tons of updates in 8.4 (they're already at 8.4.2)
An example of a few 8.4.1--> 8.4.2 updates:

There are 48 bug fixes in this release, many of which apply only to version 8.4, and a few of which are specifically for Windows. While these are generally fixes for minor issues, among the changes are:
*Prevent hash index corruption
*Update time zone data for 9 regions
*Fix permissions-related startup issue on Windows
*Prevent server restart if a VACUUM FULL is killed
*Correct cache initialization startup bug

So if you're doing a FRESH install please pick 8.4.2. (and keep upgrading the SQL whenever an update comes out)
If HEM is running FINE for you (on 8.3) and you have a large database, don't try to move your database to 8.4. It's too much of a hassle with the reinstall and reimporting.

El Helado
12-26-2009, 07:42 PM
It's definitely not faster. Unless you have a dual Xenon processor.

But the SQL team did do tons of updates in 8.4 (they're already at 8.4.2)
An example of a few 8.4.1--> 8.4.2 updates:

There are 48 bug fixes in this release, many of which apply only to version 8.4, and a few of which are specifically for Windows. While these are generally fixes for minor issues, among the changes are:
*Prevent hash index corruption
*Update time zone data for 9 regions
*Fix permissions-related startup issue on Windows
*Prevent server restart if a VACUUM FULL is killed
*Correct cache initialization startup bug

So if you're doing a FRESH install please pick 8.4.2. (and keep upgrading the SQL whenever an update comes out)
If HEM is running FINE for you (on 8.3) and you have a large database, don't try to move your database to 8.4. It's too much of a hassle with the reinstall and reimporting.

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah i exported all hands so its fresh. Nice! Know i know :).