PDA

View Full Version : Beta DL suggestion

_Loki_
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
In the spirit of improving the HEM product... When I DL a HEM beta update it's always around 14MB & takes 30 minutes on my rubbish 56kbps connection. I don't understand why these updates are always so large

** QUESTION 1:
Is it to do with the architecture of the HEM program not being modular in some way ? (can you see I don't understand software ?)

** QUESTION 2:
Is there a plan down the road to simply have a system of SMALLER HEM auto updates ?

** SUGGESTION:
I only play on PokerStars at the moment & I only play 6max NLHE cash so...
Couldn't each HEM user have their own DL settings page pop up before they DL ?
[So that we users can deselect bug fixes for sites & games we DON'T play & for HEM features that we DON'T use]

** BTW some annoyances:
The updates more-or-less ALWAYS *lose* one or two of my settings - I often have to...

re-hide some tabs
re-enable autorate
Change Archive Duration from '15' to my preferred value

Merry Christmas !!!

Patvs
12-25-2009, 11:14 PM
-1 56kbps?? Today.. I was doing teamviewer with some HEM users. I noticed they didn't have any Windows SERVICE PACKS installed, so I instantly closed teamviewer.... and instead of manually installing a VC++ update, .Net Framework Service Pack, I just told them to upgrade Windows themself first.

VISTA: SP1 is 450 MB (English), SP2 is 350 MB (English).

If you need the ALL LANGUAGES version (because your Windows is NOT in English, they're 1.5x as big. So a Turkish HEM user had to download over 1 GB or basic Windows updates.

I don't think the 14 MB HEM updates are large.. I don't know where you live.. because I know in some South-American and African countries 56k6 is normal (and fast).. but you should consider getting faster internet if possible.

-2 They won't get any smaller. We will have an auto-update soon, which informs you when you're not using the latest version.

--

About your annoyances.. that's a good point. I often have to re-hide some tabs myself after a update. Will forward that to developer.

_Loki_
12-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Hi Pat thanks for your detailed & interesting reply

However I am struggling to understand all that you write - I am the car driver who can fuel his vehicle, but leaves the engine & brakes to mechanics :)

... I don't think the 14 MB HEM updates are large..

C:\Program Files\RVG Software = 42Mb so 14Mb seems large to me by comparison - it's 33% of 42Mb
I don't understand software programming concepts & so here a couple of very stupid questions...

QUESTIONS 1 & 2:
Is most of each download some kind of 'installer' program & only a small part of it is the actual changes?
If 'YES' can't the 'installer' be permanently on my HDD & HEM just sends the changes ?

... VISTA: SP1 is 450 MB (English), SP2 is 350 MB (English).
... So a Turkish HEM user had to download over 1 GB or basic Windows updates.
EXAMPLE:
M$ has an online installer that pulls down only the components that are needed
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en
EXAMPLE:
Reduce Download Size of Java Applications
http://www.excelsior-usa.com/java-download-size.html#jigsaw
QUESTION 3:
Why can't I just DL the PARTS of the updates relevant to my game & not DL the rest ?

I don't know where you live.. because I know in some South-American and African countries 56k6 is normal (and fast).. but you should consider getting faster internet if possible.
I live in the UK. In the second largest city. Broadband implementation is patchy in the UK. I am looking at copper wire ADSL, but providers are interested in selling fibre packages with TV blah blah. I am working on it. 56kbps is fast enough for my needs MOST OF THE TIME

We will have an auto-update soon, which informs you when you're not using the latest version.
Good

About your annoyances.. that's a good point. I often have to re-hide some tabs myself after a update. Will forward that to developer
Thank you.

Patvs
12-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Microsoft has very small patches if you need a specific update. At the same time they have 500 MB Service Packs. (which are IMPOSSIBLE to download if you have a slow internet connection)

"The RVG Software = 42 Mb so a 14 Mb update (33%) is large." This may be the weirdest statement I've read in some time.

"My harddisk is only 100 GB. I download 200 GB a month. (200%) Therefore I download a lot." Yeah... I guess I download a lot. In fact my internet service provider gave me a warning because I download more a day, than the average user does a month. So what? It doesn't mean anything.

--

With each HEM update: only a few files are actually updated. Since Holdemmanager.exe and HMhud.exe are always replaced, the update is at least 8 MB. The installer is less than 200 KB.

You can't download part of the update, because the update already is the smallest it can be. Full Tilt / PokerStars update their software twice a month:
each update also requires you to download 15 MB. How do you manage?

_Loki_
12-26-2009, 06:34 PM
"The RVG Software = 42 Mb so a 14 Mb update (33%) is large." This may be the weirdest statement I've read in some time

I wasn't aware it was weird when I wrote it. I've learnt in life that not being afraid to ask questions pays off in the end - I'm not worried about appearing dumb. It was written so I could learn something & understand software a little better

With each HEM update: only a few files are actually updated. Since Holdemmanager.exe and HMhud.exe are always replaced, the update is at least 8 MB. The installer is less than 200 KB.
This I understand & it makes things clear to me. Thank you

You can't download part of the update, because the update already is the smallest it can be
Ditto

Full Tilt / PokerStars update their software twice a month:
each update also requires you to download 15 MB. How do you manage?
I have PS update turned off. I run an update of EVERYTHING important once a month using a 3rd party download manager. At the same time I download any interesting freeware I've come across in the month & perhaps half a dozen poker vids. This can take 15 hours in all :)