PDA

View Full Version : External HD HELP

TxHLDM_BlkOps
12-25-2009, 02:57 PM
Can any1 help me out, I have HEM and I dont want my HH cluttering up my HD so i was wondering if some1 can suggest something. I have a Seagate 250 gig External HD with a encrypted file feature does that help?

1. Is it even possibe to set up my HH to be sent to a External HD?

2. Is there a way to set up HEM to automatically pull my HH from a external HD?

3. I have a HD with 200+ gigs standard w/ my laptop and it has some stupid backup feature pre installed which has like 10 gigs locked up, I tried deleting the program was unsuccessful, can any1 help?

I would very much appreciate any feedback that is offered!

_Loki_
12-25-2009, 05:59 PM
3. I have a HD with 200+ gigs standard w/ my laptop and it has some stupid backup feature pre installed which has like 10 gigs locked up, I tried deleting the program was unsuccessful, can any1 help?

The backup feature probably lives on a separate partition ?
You may also have an additional hidden partition

I recommend that you download PARTITION WIZARD to analyse your HDD, change partition sizes or even remove partitions. BUT DON'T DO ANYTHING SERIOUS UNTIL YOU HAVE POSTED MORE INFO ON YOUR...

OS, Laptop model & OEM

FREE 'Home Edition' V4.2.2 http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

I'm using a beautiful old XP laptop that Sony ruined with their garbage security, backup, 'free' programs features - it took me some time to figure out how to get back SAFELY all the wasted HDD space

I bet your OEM have supplied no programs on disc ? no boot disc ?
All that stuff is usually located on an OEM partition

Thread carefully & post more info

TxHLDM_BlkOps
12-25-2009, 11:51 PM
The backup feature probably lives on a separate partition ?
You may also have an additional hidden partition

I recommend that you download PARTITION WIZARD to analyse your HDD, change partition sizes or even remove partitions. BUT DON'T DO ANYTHING SERIOUS UNTIL YOU HAVE POSTED MORE INFO ON YOUR...

OS, Laptop model & OEM

FREE 'Home Edition' V4.2.2 http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

I'm using a beautiful old XP laptop that Sony ruined with their garbage security, backup, 'free' programs features - it took me some time to figure out how to get back SAFELY all the wasted HDD space

I bet your OEM have supplied no programs on disc ? no boot disc ?
All that stuff is usually located on an OEM partition

Thread carefully & post more info

Its a Gateway :( M-Series6823 running Windows Vista Home edition 32 bit w/ 250G HD and 1G DualSSdr ram with 10G locked up in a recovery feature called Spare Back Up. (I soo need to upgradethe Ram) any suggestions on a set? I wanna jump to 4 G Ram

_Loki_
12-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Hi TxHLDM_BlkOps

'SPARE BACKUP' REMOVAL:
I am seriously un-informed about Vista (I'VE STUCK WITH XP FOR NOW - until HEM delivers a LINUX VERSION :) so I don't know how to help you, but have you tried this way of removing 'Spare backup' ?
http://support.gateway.com/s/software/misc/A20579-001-001/A20579-001-001si3.shtml

MEMORY:
I can't help you with memory

GOOGLE FOR:
Tweaknow powerpack 2009 (if it works with Vista) & partitionwizard are worth a look, but use carefully. Tweaknow has a good disc usage analyser - you can figure out which bits of your software to dump
Also IObit Smart defrag & Revo uninstaller
All four of these are FREE & very good
Also google "blackviper" - it will show you how to reduce your windows services

Also I suggest you Bump/Repost your original Q1 & Q2 - I guess they've not being noticed ?

fozzy71
12-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I answered 1 and 2 on twoplustwo.

yes, and yes

Simply tell your poker site to save the hands there (totally unnecessary imo) and then setup the \hmarchive on the external.

Your \HMArchive is likely not in your \Holdem Manager directory. We normally suggest you use C:\HMArchive, but you may have put it anywhere.

To verify the location: Options > Configure Auto Import Folders > Edit > Archive Folder: ___________________

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=56

The thing that takes up the most space is your postgresql database, not the hand histories.

Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

- Start > My Computer > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, or C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, if you have 64 bit Vista. Delete all files in that folder. And it might be a good idea to empty your recycle bin at that point, or use a 3rd party utility like CCleaner to clean up all your junk/temporary files. You want to do this before you get to the vacuum and defrag process.

You should regularly purge mined hands in your database, after purge vacuum / full analyze the database via pgadmin.
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=107
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163