PDA

View Full Version : Recommend different poker stats software, please

Chris42163
12-25-2009, 10:46 AM
While the analyzers with this program are second to none, upgrading is difficult and requires that I get on the forums to search through countless threads in order to figure out why this software isn't working. Now the HUD isn't working with pokerstars again, and I'm tired of trying to figure out what's wrong with my stats software when I really just want to play poker. Most of the times that I try to use the program, I am unable to because of some minor bug. It frustrates me, and it affects my game play. Basically, I'd rather just have no program at all. Then I would just play poker and enjoy my free time. I honestly think that because I've become intollerant of this software and don't want to waste the time to fix it instead of playing, that it is making my game worse instead of better.

Why can't the developer figure out a way to automatically update the program like every other program I own does? Then I wouldn't have to worry about deciphering the latest problem.

I really think this is a good program, but it's not useful to me if it adds stress before I start playing. Not to mention, there's no way to know that it won't work until I sit down at a table and it just doesn't. Since I play for fun, I'd rather have a program that works more than half the time I try to use it. Anyone have a recommendation for software that automatically looks for updates, please?

thanks,

Chris

Patvs
12-25-2009, 09:06 PM
HoldemManager works fine if Windows is updated and properly setup.
99% of HEM problems are Windows related. (even the PostgreSQL problems are Windows related)

Mostly because users have crazy Firewall, User Account Control, and Antivirus settings. (almost as if they're paranoid their computer is under a constant virus/hacker attack)

If HoldemManager causes you too much stress, may I recommend PokerTracker 3 and Merry Christmas to you too...

The Minder
12-25-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm going to support Chris a little in this one.

He's right in that the analysis features in HM are far superior to PT3, but it's the glitches that drag HM down. Whenever there's a new release (the small steps, not the integer ones), HM throws out some great new functionality and a bunch of backward steps. I can't remember the last time I had a clean update.

This latest step, beta 5, broke the HUD on Pokerstars for me also. Why should it do that? It also resulted in hands where there was an ante or SB/BB (in the tourney section) now being coloured red. This colour change didn't happen in the ring game hands, just the tourney section. If I didn't know better I'd think RVG was using this forum as version control.

Yes, I know this is all part of beta software, but with all the changes going on with the poker sites we (the customers) need to be with the beta and not the established version.

As to the security aspects of Windows causing problems with HM. Don't forget, people here are accessing gambling sites and probably funding those activities with credit card or bank account details. With all the insidious stuff on th internet these days they have every right to be paranoid about anti-virus/firewalls/etc. As a producer of software into that environment, it's RVG's responsibility to deal with those compatibility/security issues. A task I think they did pretty well during the last false positive scare.

Nonetheless, HM is still in front of PT3, just.