PDA

View Full Version : "postgres" icon appears when I start my new computer

shuman
12-25-2009, 12:00 AM
After installing HEM and PostgreSQL on my new computer, a "posgres" icon now appears alongside my own "administrator" icon when I turn on my computer before I log in to Windows via clicking on my "administrator" icon.

>>Should this "postgres" icon be there?
>>Could it cause any problems?
>>If so, is there a way I can remove it?

Thank you.

PunkAss
12-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Apparently, postgres uses the new "postgres" user account to start the service. If you delete the user account, the database cannot start and HEM will not be able to connect to the database. The new user account is a part of the postgres install and okay.

However, it annoyed the crap out of me (OCD?) to have another user account on my computer, so i deleted it anyways and made changes to...

administrative tools -> services -> right click on PostgreSQL Server 8.4 -> Log On Tab -> Click on Local System account

So far so good but...

my question to HEM is, is this okay or am I going to suffer any performance hit?

btw, using Postgres 8.4 on Windows 7 and running 1.10 beta 5.

Patvs
12-25-2009, 10:58 AM
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/377-log-automatically-startup.html

PunkAss
12-25-2009, 05:15 PM
well, i dont want auto login as it's a laptop.

shuman
12-25-2009, 06:03 PM
If I don't set my Windows 7 to automatic logon and I select my "administrator" icon to logon instead of the "postgres" icon, will PostgreSQL 8.4 still work correctly on my computer?

Or, do I always have to select the "postgres" icon every time I logon?

Patvs
12-25-2009, 06:21 PM
-you never have to SELECT the postgres user

-always login with your NORMAL account name

-The SQL server will then still work just fine

-Only certain SQL installations (8.4) cause the stupid dual login screen where there suddenly are two users

-There's no need for that login screen.. (I prefer Windows to boot straight to my desktop) There are no performance differences either way. So use the link above if you want to get rid of the login screen.

shuman
12-25-2009, 11:29 PM
Yeah, you're right. No need for the login in my case. I'll follow the advice in the link.

Thanks.

shuman
12-26-2009, 04:08 AM
So, I followed your provided link and changed my NORMAL account name to automatic login for Windows 7.

>>Do I also need to change the POSTGRES account name to automatic login?

BTW FYI, I re-started my computer after changing to auto-login for my NORMAL account name and the stupid login screen appeared again, but then my password would not work and I couldn't login. I tried several times then finally called Sony support. Guess what? I had to command the computer to re-install factory settings of Vista, so all the downloads I've made the last couple days from this site, and more frustrating and time-consuming, my Windows 7 upgrade, have to be re-done.

The support member I spoke with says it's pretty common for people with new computers with Vista or Windows 7 to have this random login problem. He said it has nothing to do with my changing to automatic login and that nobody has yet to call support reporting that the same login problem has happened for a second time on the same computer.

Also, I didn't know there was such a thing as a recovery password disk, so I never even thought to create one. I now know that having such a disk will allow me to still login WITHOUT having my password or if my password's not working. So, I guess a password recovery disk is number one on my agenda when this is all back up and running.

I love computers:)

Forgot to ask...

Before all the ridiculousness above, I tried to "Stop Server" on PostgreSQL 8.4 just to see if it would work for the future when I try and de-fragment using Defraggler or Smart Defrag, and an error message appeared in the black popup window. I can't remember exactly what the error message said, but the same message appeared when I tried to "Start Server" as well. The only thing I could do was click "continue" and the popup window closed, or I could click "x" to close the popup window myself.

>>Should this error message be occurring?
>>Did I download something incorrectly (PostgreSQL 8.4, HEM, etc)?

Not sure what to do if something is actually wrong.

Patvs
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM

No, Server should STOP when you click STOP.. and start when you START without any errors. DOS prompt should come on and only state: succesfully stopped/started server. No idea what's causing this.

fozzy71
12-26-2009, 12:34 PM
I prefer to simply hide the postgres user logon option.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-user-accounts-from-the-logon-screen-in-windows-vista/

Forgot to ask...

Before all the ridiculousness above, I tried to "Stop Server" on PostgreSQL 8.4 just to see if it would work for the future when I try and de-fragment using Defraggler or Smart Defrag, and an error message appeared in the black popup window. I can't remember exactly what the error message said, but the same message appeared when I tried to "Start Server" as well. The only thing I could do was click "continue" and the popup window closed, or I could click "x" to close the popup window myself.

Not sure what to do if something is actually wrong.

It was most likely a simple status message for you.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/fozzy71/HEM/support/hm-stopsqlserver.png

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/fozzy71/HEM/support/hm-startsqlserver.png

shuman
12-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the link Fozzy. I think I'll do this if the "postgres" login icon causes me any problems.

I also figured something out this time when I had to re-upgrade to Windows 7. After my computer was reset to its original factory settings with Vista, when the login to Windows screen appeared, I ONLY created an icon with my name and NOT with a "recommended" password too. So, I was able to login and get to the desktop WITHOUT giving a password, and now my computer goes straight to the desktop every time I turn it on because I NEVER gave a password at the login screen.

I can't be sure if what you show are the messages I got when I tried to "Start server" or "Start server" for PostgreSQL 8.4. For some reason I think it said "error" somewhere. Anyways, if it happens this time after I download HEM, PostgreSQL, etc. I will make a post with the exact popup message.

Thanks guys.

shuman
12-27-2009, 03:00 AM
I've attached a single snapshop of the 2 separate errors. Each occurs when I click Start > All Programs > PostgeSQL 8.4 > Start Server or Stop Server

>>If you know why these errors may be happening, could you please advise me what to do to fix them?

>>Could these errors cause problems if I try to use HEM and auto-import while playing poker?

PunkAss
12-27-2009, 03:10 AM
thx for the registry hack to hide the other account. i wish i knew it earlier.

does it matter that i've deleted the postgres account and changed the service to logon using the local account? i suppose postgres made it use another account for a reason... i'm paranoid that i might suffer some performance issues. took me days to import insane amount of hand histories however and i'd rather not have to reinstall/reimport. can i just recreate "postgres" user, give it a pw of "postgrespass," and change the service to log on using the postgres account again?

any info on if i really need to change it back?

fozzy71
12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
I've attached a single snapshop of the 2 separate errors. Each occurs when I click Start > All Programs > PostgeSQL 8.4 > Start Server or Stop Server

>>If you know why these errors may be happening, could you please advise me what to do to fix them?

I am not sure, but my guess would be you need to give pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe administrator rights, like you do for the 3 HM files.

>>Could these errors cause problems if I try to use HEM and auto-import while playing poker?

I don't think so, assuming HM/SQL are working properly. Does HM connect to the DB and launch properly?

thx for the registry hack to hide the other account. i wish i knew it earlier.

does it matter that i've deleted the postgres account and changed the service to logon using the local account? i suppose postgres made it use another account for a reason... i'm paranoid that i might suffer some performance issues. took me days to import insane amount of hand histories however and i'd rather not have to reinstall/reimport. can i just recreate "postgres" user, give it a pw of "postgrespass," and change the service to log on using the postgres account again?

any info on if i really need to change it back?

It currently logs in to your own local account, automativally? And HM/SQL work properly as it is? I wouldn't mess with a good thing, if it is all working OK. That 'postgres' user it creates, should not be logged in to for playing poker. You want to continue using the same windows account you had used before you installed HM or SQL.

shuman
12-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Does HM connect to the DB and launch properly?

Yes, HM launches properly, but I'm not sure if it connects to the database properly since I have not yet transferred any hands to this new computer or imported any new hands.

PunkAss
12-27-2009, 03:21 PM
It currently logs in to your own local account, automativally? And HM/SQL work properly as it is? I wouldn't mess with a good thing, if it is all working OK. That 'postgres' user it creates, should not be logged in to for playing poker. You want to continue using the same windows account you had used before you installed HM or SQL.

yes, i'm using my own account (only one on the computer since i deleted postgres account). i noticed that postgres service wouldn't start after i deleted it and was giving me some login error, so i tried configuring the postgres service to login using the "local account."

all seems to be working okay... but paranoid. there must be a reason wjy postgres 8.4 is configured to start its service using a secondary account. i have a huge database and i need all the performance tweaks i can get, and some times i think it's importing a tad slow.

btw, does import speed in HEM degrade with larger database?

shuman
12-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I am not sure, but my guess would be you need to give pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe administrator rights, like you do for the 3 HM files.

I gave the above 2 programs the same administrator rights, and the same 2 popup errors still occur when I try to "Start" or "Stop Server" in PostgreSQL 8.4.

>>Any idea what to try now?

Maybe I will try auto importing in HM and see if it works. If the server errors don't cause any problems, I can live with them. I just know that I read you should "Stop Server" before you defragment your hard drive, so I'm not sure if these errors would cause a problem when I try to defragment.

netsrak
12-28-2009, 07:46 AM
If HM starts without errors your Postgresql Service is running fine. The 2 commands you are referring too are only needed for troubleshooting when the Postgresql service stopped working. The message means that you are not running them as administrator - right mouse click -> run as administrator. As as workaround you can also start / stop the Postgresql service via control panel->administrative tools -> windows services (or sth. similar).

But for now just start importing hands - it should work because the postgresql service is started automatically with your computer.

shuman
12-28-2009, 08:42 AM
The 2 commands you are referring too are only needed for troubleshooting when the Postgresql service stopped working. The message means that you are not running them as administrator - right mouse click -> run as administrator. As as workaround you can also start / stop the Postgresql service via control panel->administrative tools -> windows services (or sth. similar).

I was able to find the workaround, so that's good.

I have one more idea though on how to try and fix the 2 error popups that keep occurring when I click Start > All Programs > PostgreSQL 8.4 > Stop Server or Start Server. I have already set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe and now \postgreSQL\8.4\bin\pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe to all be started as administrator by clicking on each file > right-click > Properties > Compatibility tab > Privilege Level > "check" Run this program as an administrator > OK

**But, for each of the above 5 .exe files what if I also now click below my already "checked" Run this program as an administrator and click on "Change settings for all users" > Compatibility for all users > Privilege Level > "check" Run this program as an administrator > OK???

**Could this extra administrator right fix the errors?

Thank you.

netsrak
12-28-2009, 12:00 PM
Should be no problem.