PDA

View Full Version : installing HEM and PostgreSQL on a new 64-bit Windows 7 laptop

shuman
12-24-2009, 03:23 AM
How to Install HEM and PostgreSQL on a new PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under Vista and Windows 7 make sure UAC is disabled http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=73 or else you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select "Run as admin" from the popup menu. Windows 7 you MUST set all the executables to always run as admin.

I'm a little confused. Before downloading HEM or PostgreSQL on my new PC, is it necessary for me to disable UAC AND set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator? Or, is it sufficient if I only set all the executables to always run as admin?

Also, in the link above, two of the final steps (5 & 6) that are shown is what it looks like in Vista, correct? Just want to make sure because in my Windows 7 it shows a vertical bar that I think I can slide all the way down to turn UAC off.

Thanks.

Patvs
12-24-2009, 11:10 AM
No need to turn off UAC, if you properly give admin rights to
\holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe

Pics in guide are VISTA... it looks different on 7.

shuman
12-26-2009, 04:40 AM
How to Install HEM and PostgreSQL on a new PC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under Vista and Windows 7 make sure UAC is disabled http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=73 or else you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select "Run as admin" from the popup menu. Windows 7 you MUST set all the executables to always run as admin.

I'm not sure I properly gave administration rights to \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe on Windows 7. I went to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\ and right-clicked on each of the 3 .exe files and selected "Run as admin" for each. Each time I did so, each of the programs opened.

>>Is this all I need to do?
>>Is there something else I need to do to set the executables to ALWAYS "Run as admin"?

Also, I read a tip that said disabling UAC may increase performance of Windows 7.
>>But, could disabling UAC allow something/someone to harm my computer?

Thank you.

Patvs
12-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Right click the 3 files--> select PROPERTIES (not Run as Admin).
In the properties find the "run program as administrator", select that--> click apply--> and it will always run the program as administrator.

User Account Control is turned off by default on XP. Turning it off is only harmful if you randomly open .exe files without knowing what you're opening. Especially attachments in emails or downloaded files. UAC will warn you twice: when opening a .exe Windows doesn't recognize. This is especially annoying on VISTA (when UAC's default setting is HIGH and the main reason why people HATE VISTA) On Windows 7, the default setting is LOW (so not OFF, but LOW) and it won't be very annoying. Computernerds, who don't ACCIDENTLY open a program, always turn if off.

fozzy71
12-26-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm not sure I properly gave administration rights to \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe on Windows 7. I went to C:\Program Files\RVG Software\Holdem Manager\ and right-clicked on each of the 3 .exe files and selected "Run as admin" for each. Each time I did so, each of the programs opened.

>>Is this all I need to do?
>>Is there something else I need to do to set the executables to ALWAYS "Run as admin"?

No

Under Windows 7 you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe to be started as administrator. Run the windows explorer (start > computer) and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right-click Properties the executables and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Also, I read a tip that said disabling UAC may increase performance of Windows 7.
>>But, could disabling UAC allow something/someone to harm my computer?

Thank you.

Yes, and Yes