PDA

View Full Version : Completely New

prime
12-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Wasn't sure if this was the right place for this so apologies if not.

I wanted to know about using the software in an environment with 6 players all on the same network.

Can we all share the same database? I have read through the FAQ and can only find info about sharing a database using a USB drive.

I want to host the PostgresSQL database on a server type computer and allow all the local computers to connect to that database.

Could someone point me in the right direction of where i can read more about this?

Any help appreciated.

Prime.

Patvs
12-23-2009, 07:32 PM
You can share a database.. and it's technically possible, but
the pokerrooms officially don't allow it:

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/8201-online-poker-full-tilt-poker-suspends-brian-townsend

prime
01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Not really sure i asked that right.

I want each user to have their own database as they currently. So when a user opens Holdem Manager they select their own database which is stored on the shared DB Server.

But is it possible for all the databases to share info? So if player A in our office has played player Z before who is not part of our company and then Player B in our office plays another completely different game/tournament against Player Z can he see the history which was taken when play A played against Player Z?

If so how is this done?

I hope this explains what im looking for a little better. Apologies if not! Please let me know and i will try and explain again!

Thanks again for any help in advance.

Patvs
01-04-2010, 11:58 AM
-A 6 users... each with their own database on a separate server. And it doesn't matter which computer player A is using, he'll be able to access his database on all of them.---> This is ambitious... but possible.

-B Databases to share info? Again officially this is NOT allowed.. but it is possible. However merging SQL databases using pgAdminIII is not possible, so you need a completely different creative solution to keep all the databases synchronized. (for example Microsoft Mesh, which synchronizes all the HHArchive and/or Handhistory folders)

-C My main concern would be....: the whole concept of remote postgres is: one user who has 2+ computers who wants to be able to access one database. In your scenario..... the situation will come up, that 2-6 players want to play at the same time, which will be a terrible burdening on the server harddisks. (causing all sorts of lag issues, no matter how fast the connection of the local network is)

prime
01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
-A 6 users... each with their own database on a separate server. And it doesn't matter which computer player A is using, he'll be able to access his database on all of them.---> This is ambitious... but possible.

I already have this setup and working.

-B Databases to share info? Again officially this is NOT allowed.. but it is possible. However merging SQL databases using pgAdminIII is not possible, so you need a completely different creative solution to keep all the databases synchronized. (for example Microsoft Mesh, which synchronizes all the HHArchive and/or Handhistory folders)

Think i may have to pass on this ifits first of all not allowed and second of all difficult to administer.

-C My main concern would be....: the whole concept of remote postgres is: one user who has 2+ computers who wants to be able to access one database. In your scenario..... the situation will come up, that 2-6 players want to play at the same time, which will be a terrible burdening on the server harddisks. (causing all sorts of lag issues, no matter how fast the connection of the local network is)

We are running the postgres databases on a PROPER server. Not a workstation acting as a server. The server is running two seperate raids. Raid 1 on the system partition and 4 disks in a raid 10 for the data. It also has a Dual Core Xeon processor. (Dual Core Intel® Xeon® E3113, 3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

The server also has 8GB of ram installed as its 64 bit. (server 2008)

I am also currently ensuring the whole network is running through gigabit switches. Our last process will be to update all workstations to run gigabit network cards.

I'd be surprised once the network is fully working if its still slow. Unless im missing something?

Thanks for any help so far!! Any other info you think i may find helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Patvs
01-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Unless im missing something?

Forget I said anything... :-)
That is a proper server!
I thought you had an old Pentium 90 laying in a corner of your basement, and thought you could create a new purpose for it.