PDA

View Full Version : Can i install postgreSQL on external hard drive?

zzx22
12-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm thinking of having my entire poker environment in an external hard drive so that it is portable and I can play on any PC. However, is it possible to install PostgreSQL in the external hard drive instead of only the data files? Will it be slow if I'm running more than 12 tables when Holdem Manager is run from the external hard drive? Thanks in advance!

fozzy71
12-10-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm thinking of having my entire poker environment in an external hard drive so that it is portable and I can play on any PC.

??? Are you talking about installing HM and your Poker clients there also? I don't think you will be able to plug that into a new PC and start using your programs that were installed via your machine.

Installing the postgresql data folder there is no issue, but I would not recommend you install HM or poker clients there.

However, is it possible to install PostgreSQL in the external hard drive instead of only the data files?[quote]

Yes, but it is only going to work when plugged into the original machine. If you use these directions to put your data folder there you can move the data folder between different PC's that each have HM and Postgresql installed on them.

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=101

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=154

[quote] Will it be slow if I'm running more than 12 tables when Holdem Manager is run from the external hard drive? Thanks in advance!

As I stated before, I don't really recommend HM or other programs be installed on an external. If you have separate internal drives that will give you the best performance. If you only have a single drive you can partition it and install HM and Postgresql, and other programs there. This will protect them if you ever have to reformat your C partition. Then you can backup/synchronize your internal drives/partitions with your external drive as a backup of your internal data. This is much safer than having everything on an external. They are slower than internal drives and much more prone to damage (being dropped, etc).

Having your DB on the external will mean slower import speeds and slower searches, etc. It will possibly mean performance lag while playing multiple tables also. HM is loaded into memory when running and doesnt really use much HD performance. Your OS and SQL DB are busy using the HD's.

zzx22
12-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks fozzy. Seem like I have no choice but to install all these in both PC and laptop. In this case do I get 2 HM license keys or can I use the same license key for both?

Patvs
12-11-2009, 01:21 AM
You can use the same key for both... just pick PC#2 when using the key on your second computer.