PDA

View Full Version : AP hud problem while playing 5+ tables

bazclef
09-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Hey dudes,

Great software. However I'm getting a pretty severe issue when I play more than 4 tables at Absolute Poker.

It's a bit tricky to explain but basically some or all of the poker tables frequently freeze. When frozen if I try to move the table around it's like the frozen screen is being drawn over the top of the active table beneath. While this is happening I can still click buttons on the active table (but I can't see them due to the frozen overlay).

I'm playing using a dual monitor setup, with 4 tables on a VGA monitor and usually 2 tables on the laptop screen. The AP client and HEM clients are both on the laptop screen, usually minimised.

I'm pretty sure it's HEM that causes this as when I close it down the tables all instantly work fine again. When 6 tabling without HUD I don't get any problems.

Thanks for your help,
Baz

EDIT: Running 1.06.03b

morny
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Try doing the following:

1) Update your graphics card drivers (V.important)
2) Move your opacity slider in Hud Options > Player Prefs and Hud Options > Table Prefs completely to the right
3) Click force onTop in Hud Options > Table Preferences (If this dosent help please turn it off afterwards although youll need to restart hm for it to take effect and then restart when you turn it off)
4) Disable Multiple Panels if its unecessary
5) Start > Control Panel > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defrag

Let me know if this improves things and also whats your specs

bazclef
09-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey,

I've tried all of the options you posted above but unfortunately still get the problem. :(

My laptop is a Celeron 1.73ghz, 1gig ram, built-in gfx running windows XP.

Cheers,
Barry

morny
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
Them specs are pretty borderline and id imagine LAG would be a constant issue with any decent amount of programs open, i assume your running windows XP as Vista would probably struggle with them specs. With RAM being so cheap these days id definetely recommend upgrading to 1.5-2gb ram as you should see a difference. Ive tried running a few tables there myself with HM running and have no problems, in fact i can have 16 tables open on ipoker without much problems although id never be able to play that amount:D

bazclef
09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Yea HM works fine for me on iPoker, can have loads of tables running.

Managed to 5-table tonight on AP with only a few glitches, so it's looking up... might have to upgrade or site change or something though.

Cheers for the help.

Romeo83
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I have the same problem on Betfair

I can run 12 tables with hud on Pokerstars and it's supersmooth, but on Betfair if I open more than 4 or 5 it gradually starts to freeze and slow down worse and worse.

The software itself doesn't lag, if I close HM, everything works perfect again.

morny
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Have you tried the suggestions above, do they make any difference. I know from reading forums that alot of people are complaining with how buggy/laggy and crashy the betfair software is but i dont play there so i cant be sure

Romeo83
09-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Yes, I have tried all of those suggestions. It fixed the extended deskop flickering, but not the lag and freezing.

Betfair software is not laggy/buggy/crashing, it's one of the better softwares out there. But using HM hud on betfair tables slows down the computer really really bad.

gymchamp
02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Morny/Romeo,

Just wondering if a solution was found for these Betfair problems. My issues are exactly the same as Romeo's.

Having significant lag with HEM playing on Betfair. When I add more than about 5 tables (I usually play 9) I experience lag. 9 tables is very slow. The Betfair software is not the problem since I can play easily as soon as I close HEM. It must be something with the way HEM reacts with Betfair. I have no problems playing 10+ tables with HUD on Stars.

I updated my graphics card and followed every single point in both these FAQ's http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=162 and http://208.109.95.123/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?topicid=43&faqid=141 and I also did as Soepgroente suggested for changing the flicker free option in Config http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?t=1303&page=6 yet everything is still slow.

I'm running a brand new Dell Studio XPS, Core I7 920, Vista 64bit, dual hard drives in Raid 0 and an Radeon 4850 graphics card so I doubt that the issue are my computer specs.

Please HELP! Thanks,
Ken

morny
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I dont really have an other solutions since youve tried everything, id be willing to log on and play around with some settings if you want me to but giving all that is already tried i think a solution is unlikely but email me if youd like me to try morny@holdemmanager.net

My thing about betfair been buggy was taken from this thread which i was looking at when i was thinking of joining them http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055443700

thegreatjohan
11-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Morny....I have the same problem playing on pokerstars. I have struggled with it a lot and I recently came to the realization (99% sure) that this only happens when I am using some sort of dual display (i.e. connecting a monitor to my laptop, and possibly having dual monitors on a desktop. I play full time and have been using my laptop only lately and havent had this problem (exactly as OP described). A couple of days ago I played with a monitor plugged into my laptop and I got the problem again. Thoughts?

fozzy71
11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Morny....I have the same problem playing on pokerstars. I have struggled with it a lot and I recently came to the realization (99% sure) that this only happens when I am using some sort of dual display (i.e. connecting a monitor to my laptop, and possibly having dual monitors on a desktop. I play full time and have been using my laptop only lately and havent had this problem (exactly as OP described). A couple of days ago I played with a monitor plugged into my laptop and I got the problem again. Thoughts?

This is a very old thread, and Morny no longer works here.

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

Under Vista and Windows 7 make sure UAC is disabled http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=73 or else you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. Windows 7 you MUST set all the executables to always run as admin.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

Make sure your video card drivers and windows auto updates are fully updated. Make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (or later for w7) installed.

*If that doesn't help, please answer these questions, and post the answers in a new thread. - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=174

WarrenD
11-23-2009, 03:41 AM
I have the same issue and a friend of mine said it was because the integrated graphics card built into my laptop couldn't handle the software (apparently Absolute/UB since those are the only 2 sites that cause trouble.)

RollBuilder
11-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Hello all,

I have some ideas about problem, the problem is second monitor working in dualview.

I tested two computers (with nvidia 275gtx and some radeon), on both machines i have the same problems. On both machines was instaled newest drivers and all was done as morny said in first post.

For example, when I played 10-14 tables (cascade or tile) in absolute without hm hud I have about 5-10% usage of cpu (20-40% of 1 core). When I start hm hud mainclient exe uses all 100% of one core. I do not why, but it is. This is in dualview. When I turn off second monitor in control panel everything working a lot of faster. mainclientt uses only 5-155of cpu. Booth comupetr have win xp sp3, newest dx 9,0c, netlibraries 3.5 and all upgrades, raid 0 etc.

There are some conflict with dualview. When I using dualview, I cant play cascade 10-20 tables on pokerstars or absolute, but absolute are much slower. :( On 1 monitor all is ok.

Some persons said that this is to slow computer. I do not think so. This is some software conflict when dualview are using (nvidia and ati). I have core quad, raid 0 10k rpm drives, nvidia 275 video, 4gb ram, xp sp3 - this is speed demon computer and i have problems like on old notebook.

Please look on display alghoritmms when dualview are using. I can do some logs and send for help i it is needed. :)

fozzy71
11-25-2009, 11:17 AM
I have forwarded this thread to the developer for a reply.

Mike chops
11-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I am sorry I don't know there's too much we can do. We don't draw directly to the screen in any of the HUD code. It all goes through windows libraries and graphics drivers. I'd be fairly sure the dualview problem isn't widespread. You could try switch the hardware acceleration on and off and playing with the screen depth (i.e 8, 16, 32-bit)

thegreatjohan
12-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I have consistently had this exact problem only when playing with some sort of external display on my laptop. I was using just my laptop on stars the other day (no external display) and was able to 24-table with 8ish observer tables open with no issues at all. I got home, plugged into the 50" plasma I just bought to grind on, and I experienced the freezing issues that I always get when I use an external display when I only had 6 tables open (stacked on top of each other). My brother experiences these problems too. I've read about this issue in other posts and I think it's something that needs attention. Halp?

netsrak
12-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the info, i'll forward it to the developers. Possibly this further information helps them to find a solution

thegreatjohan
12-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Any update on this issue? Something to add to it: I was able to play with my tv as an external monitor for a session with ~20 tables stacked and didn't experience any of these freezing issues on my tables. I played another session the next day, and when I got to 15ish tables open it started the freezing problem again. If I close tablemanager, the problem instantly goes away. If I relaunch my hud, the problem instantly reappears. I never have this problem when I play on only my laptop monitor. I only get the problem when I use an external display (monitor or tv as a monitor). I started pre-fetching hands a little bit ago so it would display my hud on observer tables that I wasn't sitting at. I was suspicious that this might be contributing to the issue, so I turned it off, and still had the problem so this is not it. I am not positive on this, but I feel like this issue is more likely to arise if I have more tables I'm observing (not playing at) open. Example: I would be more likely to get the issue if I was playing 10 tables and had 10 observer tables open than if I was playing at 20 tables and had no observer tables open. Also, one last thing that might make this problem more likely to arise is if I have tables open where everyone but me left. When I stack tables, these busted tables get lost in the stack and I don't notice them until I see myself sitting alone at a table in the Stars lobby. Either one of these things might have some correlation with this external display issue, so might be good places to investigate.

WarrenD
01-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Here is my experience with the screen freeze issue....

Sometime in November I had to restore my laptop to it's factory settings. Before that point, I could run HEM on PS with ~20 or so tables (seems like it did lock up with more..but maybe it even handled 24) and on FT I was able to 16-table with the HUD going. On AP/UB, any amount over 4 tables or so and the screen would freeze up on my laptop. On my home desktop computer this didn't happen. A friend of mine suggested that the problem was the integrated graphics card in my laptop and obviously something to do w/ APs software. This was not much of a problem. As far as I know, I had never updated any of the drivers on my laptop (Lenovo R61).

However, the issue became more of a problem after I restored my computer settings. I just assumed that doing this would improve the performance, not that that's why I restored the settings. Ever since though, the screen began to freeze-up at PS after I opened ~10 tables. I updated my drivers w/ no improvement. I disabled my Norton Software and now manually end any processes associated with it as well as any other programs I don't need every time I start my laptop ("rrservices.exe" etc even though with these programs open my CPU Usage is like 6-10% max). But doing this allows me to use the HUD on 16-18 tables. The same thing happens when I use PT3 also. I just assume it's a hardware related problem (though it's odd that I could open more tables before restoring the settings) and it's not a big deal, but thought this might be useful.

thegreatjohan
01-12-2010, 03:12 PM
I am also using a Lenovo R61. Could be coincidence could but significant, not sure. Could we please get some sort of response on this issue?

fozzy71
01-12-2010, 08:04 PM
This is from the HUD developer:

I am sorry I don't know there's too much we can do. We don't draw directly to the screen in any of the HUD code. It all goes through windows libraries and graphics drivers. I'd be fairly sure the dualview problem isn't widespread. You could try switch the hardware acceleration on and off and playing with the screen depth (i.e 8, 16, 32-bit)

We will be testing this internally to try and reproduce it.

Mike chops
01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I tried adding a monitor to my setup. I didn't see a difference in performance.

thegreatjohan
01-14-2010, 06:50 PM
update: playing on the tv, i had the problem again. I usually use the alt+tab command to switch between stacked tables. When I did this, I couldn't see the new table that pops up. I realized during the last session that I can drag the top table to the side, and none of the other tables are affected (meaning if I close the affected table, I can continue to play without problems on the other tables) It seems like something goes haywire with 1 table only, and it obscures the other table until I either move the bad table to the side or close it. Hope this helps.

thegreatjohan
02-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Is this issue being ignored? I am starting to look into other products as a replacement for HM.

bazclef
02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
doesn't happen any more for me.

WarrenD
02-18-2010, 11:52 AM
My laptop drive was partitioned into drives C & D, by default, for whatever reason. I installed AP/UB on the D drive which was was set to 'no page filing.' I went in and changed the page filing size to: min 1k MB max 3k MB (as was set on Drive C). That helped initially with other software/graphical problems I was having at the Cereus sites. I was also able to get HEM up and running without any freeze-ups (major improvement) although my HUD never managed to appear (Table manager was running and it recognized all of my tables). I didn't really take the time to play around with my player preferences configuration and since some of the software glitches started showing up again I changed the page filing size to mn 3k, max 3k. I haven't had the time to see how much of an improvement this ended up being, but just thought I'd mention the whole Virtual Memory/page file sizing thing since this might help.

This (http://www.ehow.com/how_2282429_increase-virtual-memory-windows-xpincrease-virtual-memory-windows-xp.html) explains how to adjust your virtual memory.