PDA

View Full Version : A connection to PostgreSQL could not be made

Grrrs
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
I have postgres and holdem mananger on another partition , and today i reinstalled my windows( who was in a diferent partiotion) and now i recive that messege. Help pls and fast :)

netsrak
11-25-2009, 12:29 PM
You need to reinstall Holdemmanager and especially Postgresql too. They have processes / configurations in the windows partition.

Grrrs
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
i reinstall postgres , hem i didn`t but i don`t think reinstaling hem will do some good. When i want to connect to the database server from pgAdmin it tells me this

Server doesn't listen
The server doesn't accept connections: the connection library reports
could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
If you encounter this message, please check if the server you're trying to contact is actually running PostgreSQL on the given port. Test if you have network connectivity from your client to the server host using ping or equivalent tools. Is your network / VPN / SSH tunnel / firewall configured correctly?
For security reasons, PostgreSQL does not listen on all available IP addresses on the server machine initially. In order to access the server over the network, you need to enable listening on the address first.
For PostgreSQL servers starting with version 8.0, this is controlled using the "listen_addresses" parameter in the postgresql.conf file. Here, you can enter a list of IP addresses the server should listen on, or simply use '*' to listen on all available IP addresses. For earlier servers (Version 7.3 or 7.4), you'll need to set the "tcpip_socket" parameter to 'true'.
You can use the postgresql.conf editor that is built into pgAdmin III to edit the postgresql.conf configuration file. After changing this file, you need to restart the server process to make the setting effective.
If you double-checked your configuration but still get this error message, it's still unlikely that you encounter a fatal PostgreSQL misbehaviour. You probably have some low level network connectivity problems (e.g. firewall configuration). Please check this thoroughly before reporting a bug to the PostgreSQL community.

Grrrs
11-25-2009, 12:36 PM
i tried all the metods from FAQ about this problem and neither works for me

fozzy71
11-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Did you move your old database? is it still on a different partition? Did you pick the existing data directory when installing postgresql again?

For reinstalling SQL to the same DB, follow these steps:

1) Uninstall PostgreSQL from the Windows Control Panel.
2) If you are moving the DB to a different drive/partition, manually cut or copy the \Postgresql\8.x\data directory to it's new location.
3) run the command - start > programs > accessories > command prompt > right-click > run as administrator

net user postgres /delete
4) reboot.
5) Install the same version of PostgreSQL as your current DB using these instructions - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=177
6) If you have moved/installed your DB to a non-default location, please make sure to change the 'Data Directory' path during the installation.