PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who can't get PostgreSQL to start

rtgoad
09-13-2008, 08:07 PM
I know getting the database to start has been an issue with a few people. After spending about 10 hours messing with settings, uninstalling programs, removing firewalls and avg, I've found the solution. More than likely, if the only problem you are experiencing is starting the database, the issue lies in your ethernet card. I have a killer ethernet card, which is used to reduce latency for gaming that unbeknownst to me made it impossible to connect to postgre with my previous settings. I plugged my ethernet cord into the built-in motherboard port and the database started instantly. Following this I went to my killer card settings and noticed it was in application mode, which one would think would be the proper mode for running the database. I then changed it to gaming mode which didn't work, and then went back to application mode. After going back to application mode the database actually started without conflict.

Ultimately, if you have a special card try the one built into your motherboard, if that doesn't work mess with the different settings/modes on your alternate card. I didn't realize some modes on specialized cards have built-in firewalls which could possibly cause postgre to not start.

Hope this helps those of you that are having this problem. gl

morny
09-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Ok Thanks for this RT, glad you got it sorted. Ill recommend this to people who have similar problems.

Btw how did you access the card? System > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right Click then Properties on the netwrok adaptor?

Mine didnt have them settings you mentioned but then again i dont have this problem

rtgoad
09-14-2008, 03:21 PM
My card actually has an icon in the task tray on the bottom right of the screen. But I'd assume you'd be able to edit options under device manager as well.

improvedfelipe
09-07-2010, 03:29 AM
HI, i am having issues and I cant get it to work, it installs until the last second and then it tells me that it cant install the POSTGRE SQL . I disabled my wireless card and I am using the cord to connect thru the internet and it is still not working, anything else i can do? i ve prob spent like 9 hours working onthis and CANT get it to work, it is driving me CRAZYYYY.

netsrak
09-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Please give us more details about your system.<br />
<br />
Which Postgresql version are you trying to install?<br />
<br />
Please try 8.4 from <a href="http://www.postgresql.org" target="_blank">PostgreSQL: The world's most advanced open source database</a>. If that doesn't work try 8.3.<br />
<br />
If you still have problems please give us the detailled error message.