PDA

View Full Version : Qs about purging Observed Hands

Chips8
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm running 8.2.

I get a daily datamine of 40K hands. It takes about 25 mins to import them, then 10 minutes to purge them but 2+ hours to vacumm/analyze the DB afterwards even if I do it manually. The vacumming slows everything on my computer.

1) Do I have to vacuum the DB afterwards or can I do it once in a while?

2) How often do I have to reindex the DB?

Related Qs:
3) Also, I should only have 1 DB but I notice in my pgAdmin III tab, I have 3 DBs listed: HoldemManager, PTPGSQL1 + postgres. Is that normal?

4) Also, I'm currently indexing my DB and in the "Proceses" tab in my Task Manager,, I have "postgres.exe" running 3 times using about 824K, 761K + 16K memory each! Is that normal too? thx-

fozzy71
11-20-2009, 05:09 AM
I'm running 8.2.

I get a daily datamine of 40K hands. It takes about 25 mins to import them, then 10 minutes to purge them but 2+ hours to vacumm/analyze the DB afterwards even if I do it manually. The vacumming slows everything on my computer.

1) Do I have to vacuum the DB afterwards or can I do it once in a while?

I am not sure what the ideal number of hands to wait is, between vacuums. I usually suggest people do it once a month cuz it's easy to remember. Most people only play and import 30k -100k hands a month. I would maybe suggest you vacuum once a week, or every two weeks, and see how it goes. If the vacuum isn't dramatically longer, you can probably wait a bit more. If the vacuum takes a significantly longer time, dont wait as long for your next vacuum.

2) How often do I have to reindex the DB?

The reindex does not need to be done every time you vacuum. I would suggest you do that every 2nd or 3rd vacuum.

Related Qs:
3) Also, I should only have 1 DB but I notice in my pgAdmin III tab, I have 3 DBs listed: HoldemManager, PTPGSQL1 + postgres. Is that normal?

Do you have any poker tracker products installed? When you open HM > Options > Database Management > Connect, does it show 1 or 2 DB's? The postgres is normal, with no HM database created. The HoldemManager is probably your current/default DB. If that is the only DB listed in the Database Control Panel, then I would assume that PTPGSQL1 is something specific to your 8.2 version installation.

4) Also, I'm currently indexing my DB and in the "Proceses" tab in my Task Manager,, I have "postgres.exe" running 3 times using about 824K, 761K + 16K memory each! Is that normal too? thx-

Yes, it is normal to see even more than 3 processes running when importing or running database queries. When running a vacuum or reindex, or doing things like a database export thru the Database Control Panel, the memory will often climb to about 1.6gb assuming you have 2GB+.

Chips8
11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Do you have any poker tracker products installed? When you open HM > Options > Database Management > Connect, does it show 1 or 2 DB's? The postgres is normal, with no HM database created. The HoldemManager is probably your current/default DB. If that is the only DB listed in the Database Control Panel, then I would assume that PTPGSQL1 is something specific to your 8.2 version installation.

Under databases, it lists: "PTPGSQL1 (Poker Tracker)" and HEM as the "Default Database."

So, I don't mind deleting my old PT database to save space. How do I do that?

Also, do you have any tips to reduce the processes running in Task Manager? I have about 42 when I start up. thx-

fozzy71
11-20-2009, 12:25 PM

Under databases, it lists: "PTPGSQL1 (Poker Tracker)" and HEM as the "Default Database."

So, I don't mind deleting my old PT database to save space. How do I do that?

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=21

Also, do you have any tips to reduce the processes running in Task Manager? I have about 42 when I start up. thx-

No, I am not really savvy when it comes to general windows performance tips.

I have 98 processes running right now, while multi-tasking and am using 3.25 GB. :p

For HEM and SQL performance improvements:

I would suggest you do the majority of the things in this thread: http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11194

Some of the most important things, imo:

- Remove the WinnerName, WinnerCards and WinnerWon from the Options > Hands View Column Selecto
- Turning off logging and deleting existing logs
- Vacuum/Full/Analyze, then Reindex - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163
- Defrag last and make sure you stop the postgresql service before you defrag. I personally use Smart Defrag.
- Do a Cold Boot (Shut Down > Start) before you use HM again