PDA

View Full Version : Installing postgresql

guaranteed_ho
09-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I am trying to install the software and have only gotten to the Database Control Panel and it says I need to download "postgresql-8.3.msi to begin the installation". When I go through the process to get this I only have the option of opening (postgresql-8.3 or postgresql-8.3-int). I try to open the first one and it ask what language and I click English and then after a few seconds I get this "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package.)

I am stuck at this point and need help to get this installed.

fabio
09-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Please email me at fabio@holdemmanager.net to arrange a Teamviewer session so i can help you.

gotcha55
03-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I am only able to access postgr-8.3-int also. When I open it goes strait to installation maintenance. I try to modify and it takes me to installation options. I try to browse to get it setup in a C:/ folder but it gives me error code 2864.

morny
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Sounds like youve a version already installed, please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and try uninstalling PostgreSQL then reinstalling it

gotcha55
04-06-2009, 04:06 PM
I have looked at the the FAQs and the setup. Here is where I get the instruction.

STEP 1 - Download Setup Package from Postgres Download if you haven’t already done so.

STEP 2 - Unzip the contents of the zip file on to your desktop and then double click on postgresql-8.3.msi to begin the installation.

When I unzip the file it doesnt give me a 8.3.msi file. There are only 8.3 and 8.3-int along with Readme, setup, upgrade and vcredist_x86.

I am not sure what else I can say since this is just the second step of installation

morny
04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah click on one of those and that dosent work try the other one

gotcha55
04-06-2009, 04:35 PM
OK. I was able to get is started, but had a problem when I came to this step...

STEP 9 - You should now be at the Initialize Database Cluster screen. Change the information highlighted in red.

- Change Encoding (Server) to SQL_ASCII

- Change Encoding (Client) to SQL_ASCII

- Enter postgrespass for the two password boxes

It should look like the following screen when you are done.

I clicked next but it gave me this error....

The specified data directory is not empty.

If you have an existing database with the same major version number, you do not need to initialize a database cluster.
If you have an existing database with a different major version you need to backup your old database and create a new one.

morny
04-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Its telling you there is already an old database there, do you have an old database from PT or HM previosuly installed. If not or you dont care about them then go to C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3 and delete the data folder and continue on

If youve another HM database there you want to connect to then just untick Initialise database structure near the top and continue on

gotcha55
04-06-2009, 06:52 PM
OK. I deleted the data folder. It took me to enable procedural languages where PL/pgsql is checked. I just clicked next to see if that was the last step and it took me to the enable contrib modules with adminpack checked.

Neither of these are on the postsql setup guide. Am I missing something? Or need a different guide page?

gotcha55
04-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I just saw this line....

STEP 10 - Click “Next” on all of the remaining screens until you get to the Stack Builder screen.

jukee-
05-20-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi!

I got problem when I tried to install this. all went well, escept step 10. I Putted those ACSII things in step 9 and then I clicked Next, and I got this:

The PostgreSQL data directory must be on an NTFS formatted volume.

If you wish to install the data directory on another type of partition (which is not recommended, and is supported) you must initialize the database cluster manually by running initcb.exe.

SO HELP MEE!!!!! I DON*T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

morny
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Please see this FAQ http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=71

gotcha55
05-28-2009, 02:39 PM
I am installing this on my laptop and the stack builder brought me to a screen that is asking me to "select the applications you would like to install" There is a list of categories to chose from, but I don't remember doing this on PC.

stretch00
05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
If I remember correctly you do NOT need to use the stack builder.Go back to the install SQL 8.3 FAQ

Please view the FAQ below before posting questions.
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx (http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/../faq/afmmain.aspx)

stretch00
05-28-2009, 02:58 PM
YUP says right at the bottom of that FAQ to UNTICK STACK BUILDER

stretch00
05-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Can you go backwards in that installation to un-tick launch stack builder