PDA

View Full Version : HEM startup error message

heroinDREAMS1943
04-04-2012, 05:57 PM
I do have the most updated version of HM1, and i also did a reboot and tried it again to the same result.

When i double click HEM an error message pops up saying "The following error occurred when trying to open the database. Failed to establish a connection to..." After pressing OK on that screen, a blue screen pops up that says connect to postgre sql. After pressing connect there, it says a connection couldnt be made and asks me if i would like to attempt to start the service. After saying yes it then says it started the service please try again.

I cannot get past these error messages, HEM will not boot up past these.

How do I fix this please? Why does this continue to happen?

Patvs
04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

heroinDREAMS1943
04-13-2012, 03:51 PM
This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it. And reboot.

If that doesn't help you will have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely

I cannot get this to work, but saying I need to re install isn't fair. I started another database just two months ago (at HEM's tech support request) and now I have to do it again? Why is it that your software is so unreliable and subject to crashing so often?

I'm sure this could be easily fixed by the Tech support guys such as yourself. Can I be scheduled for Teamviewer tech support session? I'm sure you guys could fix this in a few minutes

Patvs
04-14-2012, 05:08 AM
You won't lose the database, if you reinstall PostgreSQL and it detects the old database.

Install 8.4.11 from PostgreSQL: Welcome (http://www.postgresql.org). (it will update the existing PostgreSQL installation and attempt to start the service again)

Turn on the secondary Logon. The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Check your hosts file:
http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182

heroinDREAMS1943
05-07-2012, 05:50 PM
You won't lose the database, if you reinstall PostgreSQL and it detects the old database.

Install 8.4.11 from PostgreSQL: Welcome (http://www.postgresql.org). (it will update the existing PostgreSQL installation and attempt to start the service again)

Turn on the secondary Logon. The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Check your hosts file:
http://holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8182

OK, trying this once again after 3 weeks. The frustration amounted so i quit. So upon trying again and attempting to install the 8.4.11 version of PostgreSQL, it asks me to provide a password for (postgres)

I have zero clue what this is. Help please? Is there seriously any way I can have a teamviewer appointment to have someone fix this for me? I had it once done once before.

I'm still befuddled by how often this program decides to crap out and stop working. Unbelievably frustrating.

Patvs
05-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Password is: postgrespass.
If it doesn't accept that, delete the postgres user first:
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

heroinDREAMS1943
05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Password is: postgrespass.
If it doesn't accept that, delete the postgres user first:
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

Wow, ok well I did just that. All of that. Everything together I was told in previous posts also. Got it to install and everything. Then upon starting up HEM, I received the same exact error message as I had prior. I even went back and attempted to turn on the secondary logon/start the service and received another error message.
"Windows could not start the postgresql-8.4 service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

And I also went and checked my host files as I was told to do in a previous post in this thread as well. Nothing at all has worked. Help please.

Patvs
05-08-2012, 11:14 PM
PM sent