PDA

View Full Version : HEM Unstable? and help with new Database

Leeco
11-16-2009, 07:24 AM
I am constantly having issues with Holdem Manager since purchasing this product a few months ago. Is it considered an unstable product?

The latest problem is that I have received some sort of error on trying to open the application, and then after that screen I am now being told to tell HEM where to find the database by entering in details in the Database Control panel below. These fields are pre-populated with postgres items but when I then press connect I then get asked for Database name etc. Can you please tell me why I cant open the application normally, and what I should do to correct the problem and be able to use this frankly expensive but troublesome product? These error messages and subsequent instructions are not at all user friendly and how the average user is supposed to have a clue what this means I have no idea.

Thank you

netsrak
11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately a software system like Holdemmanager has a lot of complex tasks to do
- importing hands from different pokerclients
- controlling Huds for different pokerclients
- managing hands and stats in the database (Postgresql)
- reports etc. for the user interface.

This makes it more complicate to run that for example a textprocessing software.

From your description i think your Postgresql is not running. This is usually caused by a Windows update or a firewall setting and is very often solved by a simple computer reboot.

If this doesn't help please come back and give us some more details about the error message or add some screenshots.

Leeco
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
I wish the issues I constantly face with this software were as easy to resolve as turning my machine on and off. I also have plenty of complex applications they do not cause me any problems.

I do not have the first error message any longer, but I have attached the messages I get now when I try to launch HEM. The first then leads to the second when I click connect.

Thanks

fozzy71
11-16-2009, 12:14 PM
I dont see any attachments.

Please reproduce the problem and post a screen shot - http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

To attach it to a thread in the forums, look below the post reply button when you start a new thread and you'll see a manage attachments button. Click this and attach the file.

If it is postgresql connection issues:

This is usually a firewall or windows update issue.

First try to reboot. If that doesnt help delete the \postgresql\8.x\data\postmaster.pid file, if you see it.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

Please try following all of these FAQs, step by step:

1) http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34
2) reinstall the same version of postgresql, using the same \data folder - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=177
3) http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8261

If that doesn't help you will probably have to reinstall PostgreSQL completely and reimport your hands.

Leeco
11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
I have of course already rebooted and as i said above it did nothing. I have reattached the screen shots again. I have not updated anything since I last used the application

fozzy71
11-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I dont see the problem in those pictures. Simply select the DB name, choose the Set as Default option, and then Start Holdem Manager.

Leeco
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
The problem is I got an error message that then took me to these two screens. I did as you said and now my holdem manager is totally empty of all data. Are you suggesting this is normal? Does this mean I have to try and reimport all my archived data? Does this mean all my leak buster history is lost?

fozzy71
11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
That holdem manager database is empty? Did you have to type in a new DB name? If so it appears your DB was lost somehow and you will have to import your archives and/or request your hands from your site's support.

Did you reinstall postgresql? How large is your current \postgresql\8.x\data folder?

What errors did you receive originally? What anti-virus and firewall do you use?

Leeco
11-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Yes unfortunately I have lost everything, and I need to reimport all my files again if I decide to use Holdem Manager going forward rather than simply swap to Poker Tracker to see if that is more stable as I cannot keep having these issues. I am not able to rely on HEM to work consistently, and I have experienced 3 major issues in the brief time I have owned the product.

In my brief experience I do not consider the product to be stable, but perhaps I am alone with these issues.

I'll have a think about what to do next and get back to you if I decide against the PT option.

Thanks

fozzy71
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
You never told us what the original error was but I assume it was a connection error. These problems are caused by firewall and anti-virus conflicts typically, and you may see some of the same issues with any software that uses postgresql for a database.

Leeco
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
I am honestly not keeping the first error message secret, I just dont know what it said exactly as the box popped up and then went straight to the screens I posted.

I don't understand why a connection issue would wipe my whole database, and I would expect to be able to use Norton with Holdem Manager without losing all my data or without having the risk of losing all my data without warning. I have the windows firewall off as it prevents you using some poker software, and Norton told me I had the necessary protection. I have not installed any updates recently and everything was working OK (since the last major HEM issue which needed me to install a HEM patch) until yesterday.

Thanks