PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to postgresql problem

ben_pz
11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
hi, when i go to connect to postgresql on the database control panel it comes up with an error message saying 'connection error: access to the path 'c:\program files (86)\RVG software\holdem manager\config\holdemmanger.config' is denied'
I have no idea what this means or how to get past it.
Any idea?
Also if its any help i am using windows 7.

mmcinally
11-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I have the same problem

Windows Vista SP2
Logged in AS administrator (not running program as administrator)
Clean install + Update
Tried to uninstall - delete the entire Holdem Manager folder
and again: Clean install + Update

I have attached a screenshot of the error.

Please HELP! I cannot use my laptop!

fozzy71
11-10-2009, 07:59 PM
hi, when i go to connect to postgresql on the database control panel it comes up with an error message saying 'connection error: access to the path 'c:\program files (86)\RVG software\holdem manager\config\holdemmanger.config' is denied'
I have no idea what this means or how to get past it.
Any idea?
Also if its any help i am using windows 7.

Under Windows 7 you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe to be started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executable's and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

I have the same problem

Windows Vista SP2
Logged in AS administrator (not running program as administrator)
Clean install + Update
Tried to uninstall - delete the entire Holdem Manager folder
and again: Clean install + Update

I have attached a screenshot of the error.

Please HELP! I cannot use my laptop!

What firewall and anti-virus do you use?

Please set the files to run as admin. If UAC is currently off, turn it on and set the executables to run as admin, and then you can turn it back off if you prefer.

Under Vista and Windows 7 make sure UAC is disabled http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=73 or else you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab. Windows 7 you MUST set all the executables to always run as admin.

mmcinally
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Microsoft Windows Vista is the worst operating system I have ever used.

I have now spent 4 hours un-installing and re-installing Holdem Manager to get it working the way I want, and it refuses to install correctly in Windows Vista.

I have turned off all firewall and virus programs while testing.

I CAN sucessfully install and run Holdem Manager as a regular user with UAC on.

However, I have other programs I use while playing that I have to run as administrator user. So, the only way I can effectively play is logged in as the administrator.

It seems that there is a permissions problem with the config file (and likely other files) being owned by a regular user.

Does anybody have any other ideas?

Should I turn off UAC?

fozzy71
11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Microsoft Windows Vista is the worst operating system I have ever used.

I have now spent 4 hours un-installing and re-installing Holdem Manager to get it working the way I want, and it refuses to install correctly in Windows Vista.

I have turned off all firewall and virus programs while testing.

I CAN sucessfully install and run Holdem Manager as a regular user with UAC on.

Right, but you most likely need those 3 files running as administrator.

However, I have other programs I use while playing that I have to run as administrator user. So, the only way I can effectively play is logged in as the administrator.

You should be able to do the same thing by setting that option on the compatibility tab for those programs executable.

Should I turn off UAC?

I do, but I find all the UAC warnings whenever I run a program far more annoying than the UAC is Off warning. Setting that option on the compatibility tab should be the same as turning off UAC.

mmcinally
11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Problem solved

It was not firewall or anti-virus software

It was not making all 3 programs running as administrator (they were)

It was not even UAC (well, sort of)

I was correct it being a wonderful Windows Vista permissions issue. In a reasonably technical fashion:

1. Right click on HoldemManager\Config\Holdemmanager.config
2. Click properties
3. Click security tab
4. Click edit
5. Click add
6. Click advanced
7. Click find now
8. Find the user you are logged in as
9. Click OK
10. Make sure all the boxes read / write / edit for that user

That solved my problems. Apparently being an administrative user in Vista isn't enough to have root permissions.

deepfried
03-10-2011, 08:54 AM
i had the same problem in xp.

to solve goto your holdemmanger folder and rightclick properties.

then uncheck the 'read only' checkbox. then click apply to all files and subfolders.

Lunatic973
01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Why in windows 7 do I have to go and select the dbcontrolpanel file everytime, and select "run as adminstrator." I figured once I selected it, I wouldn't have to do it again.

netsrak
01-02-2012, 06:07 AM
You need to change this setting in the compatibility tab of the file properties.