PDA

View Full Version : Article 2 - Defending the blinds

husker
09-11-2008, 07:30 AM
The report says that if you have a value of less than -75.0 for this stat you are better folding. Does this figure refer to the bb/100?

I've got a bb/100 of 94.74 here do I've got a feeling something isn't right.

morny
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
If you folded every time some attempted to steal your blinds assuming it was an even amount in the BB and SB you would lose 0.75bb on average each time (1bb + 0.5bb / 2) and since 100bb/100 is an average of 1bb on average per hand then losing 0.75bb on average would equate to 75bb/100.

Well go more into detail on blinds later in the series but to defend you must 3bet and if your picking good spots to 3bet then this should be showing a decent profit since 3betting is so profitable. If its not profitable then your picking the wrong spots to defend and need to analyze that part of your game.

husker
09-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Seems I'm okay then :)

etay0330
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Got a question regarding the filter used in Defending the blinds section.
If someone limps in mp or ep, someone on the button raises while you're in the bb or sb and you decide to play, that's not exactly defending a steal attempt because it's not exactly a steal attempt is it? Or does HM look at that raise on the button as steal attempt?
If it's not suppose to be a steal attempt, that filter doesn't work then. I have a couple of hands that I can see that fits the above mentioned criteria. If HM looks at that raise as a steal attempt then the filter is fine I guess.
Can you clear this up for me or anyone who has the same question please?

morny
10-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes this is still a steal attempt, he opens raises on the button and this would certainly be an attempt to use his position to steal both the limpers dead money and the blinds.

chuckk
11-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes this is still a steal attempt, he opens raises on the button and this would certainly be an attempt to use his position to steal both the limpers dead money and the blinds.

I am confused on the steal calculation. Above you say that if there is a limper and button raises it's considered a steal. Now in the stat description steal definition is "Steal
When someone raises from the CO, button or Small Blind when the pot is unopened."

Isn't first limper considered open limping and the pot is now opened via a limp? Or is a pot only opened when there is a raise?

morny
11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah opened refers to open raise not limping

Al1
11-11-2008, 12:32 AM
What about "Raise First" stat if there is a limper then?

morny
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Im pretty sure its the same as long you raise first, if you notice inconsistencies let me know and ill see if Mike can check it out