PDA

View Full Version : HUD - Player Preference - New config error

Lingson
11-03-2009, 08:43 PM
When creating new config, I put "sng01" (without the " symbol) and it gives me and error stating only a-z, A-Z and 0-9 can be used, which I did. Somehow it didnt recognize the number as legal character. When it is named "sng" instead, no error happen.

_Loki_
11-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Lingson

I did an experiment & tried a few names:

sng01 not allowed
sng0 not allowed
0 not allowed

sng1 becomes "sngone"
sng3 becomes "sngthree"
1 becomes "one"
12 becomes "onetwo"

It is my guess that...

A] FINAL config names can only be letters
B] it recognises digits 1-9 WHEN ENTERED, but turns them into letters
C] it doesn't accept 0 (zero)

Michael

_Loki_
11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
If you want more than one sng config why not name them as follows?

sngA
sngB
sngC

etc

Michael

Lingson
11-04-2009, 06:16 AM
That I cant name it the way I want, and have to change the naming isnt a problem for me.

Since this is a bug (because the program said it accept character 0-9), Im just reporting this bug so the developer can fix it.

And as a programmer myself, I understand that sometimes there are limitations about how the program save the names. But I dont think that adding one extra field for the displaying name would be difficult. But for the user, having a more explainable name would be better instead of having to use abbreviations. How the program save the variables/names, the user should be left out of it.

And about importing HUD configs, the name is hardwritten in the config, and mostly its "default". So when I import it, it will ask if I want to overwrite the default. In my experience with programming, doing those kind of hardcoding would be dangerous for changes. For example, it should ask the user the name of config to save when we import a config, but since the name is hardcoded in the config file, user cant do that.

Its saved in an XML format. How hard could it be adding a new field for Display Name?

fozzy71
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
That I cant name it the way I want, and have to change the naming isnt a problem for me.

Since this is a bug (because the program said it accept character 0-9), Im just reporting this bug so the developer can fix it.

I have forwarded this thread to the developer for a reply.

And about importing HUD configs, the name is hardwritten in the config, and mostly its "default". So when I import it, it will ask if I want to overwrite the default.

It sounds like you made a minor error when creating/exporting these layouts. You should never export the default config. If you have already edited the default HUD, and it is your only HUD config, you should make a new one and name it differently (it uses the selected HUD as a sample to clone from). Then export that HUD, Close HEM, delete your current prefs.xml to restore the default HUD, and then import your newly named HUD you just exported. Now you can set the Default HUD toa site you never play and set your custom HUDs for the applicable site on the Use For: tab.