PDA

View Full Version : my stats

ornycjv
10-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I am about to upgrade to Windows 7 on my laptop. My laptop is my primary poker computer and I have over 35 GB of HHs. The main reason I am reformatting is due to space issues. I have 105 GB hard drive and it is getting very full. I need to purge unnecessary memory and I figured reformatting was the way to go. I am not planning on importing all my HHs after upgrading but I would like my HHs for my actual screen name. Is there anyway to isolate and export/import only my HHs and not my entire database? Thanks so much!!

fozzy71
10-30-2009, 08:34 PM
First, you should start by turning off logging, deleting log files, and vacuuming your current DB. Then you can purge any hands that dont belong to your alias, and purge any observed/mined hands. Then you export your DB to text files, after purging. When you import those hands into the new DB it should be significantly smaller and with fewer total players (assuming the purges were fruitful for your DB).

Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

- Start > My Computer > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, or C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, if you have 64 bit Vista. Delete all files in that folder. And it might be a good idea to empty your recycle bin at that point, or use a 3rd party utility like CCleaner to clean up all your junk/temporary files. You want to do this before you get to the vacuum and defrag process.

You should regularly purge mined hands in your database, after purge vacuum / full analyze the database via pgadmin.
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=107
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163

If you have hands imported that dont belong to your alias, make sure your alias is accurate and complete, and then purge any hands that dont belong to you.

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=152

ornycjv
10-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks Fozzy, sounds like a lot of stuff. I'll give it a try tomorrow!

fozzy71
10-30-2009, 09:57 PM
It is a bit wordy, but it shouldnt be too difficult if you take your time and follow the steps. If you have any questions or problems please let me know.

ornycjv
10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm trying to turn off the logging collector but my screen doesn't quite look like the screen shot you posted and I don't see an area for turning off the log collector. Here is what mine says: Any ideas?

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
redirect_stderr = on # Enable capturing of stderr into log
# files
# (change requires restart)

Also, mine is under C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\data\postgresql.conf. if that matters as your example above didn't have the 8.2 in it.

fozzy71
10-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Change this line:

redirect_stderr = on # Enable capturing of stderr into log

to this:

redirect_stderr = off # Enable capturing of stderr into log

ornycjv
10-31-2009, 04:03 PM
Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration

I have to go start>program file>postgreSQL>8.2 as I don't have 8.3 and my 8.2 is a seperate folder after opening postgreSQL. Not sure if that made any sense, hopefully it did. When I open 8.2, my options are
>bin
>data
>doc
>jdbc
>lib
>Npgsql
>pgAdmin III
>share
Installation Notes.rtf(word doc)
OpenSSL License.txt

I don't see reload configuration anywhere, am I looking in the wrong place?

fozzy71
10-31-2009, 09:15 PM
A simple reboot reloads the config file. You are browsing windows explorer, and I was directing you to the Start Menu > All Programs, not C:\Program Files.

You should be all set now if you edited the config and deleted the log files.

ornycjv
11-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for all your help so far fozzy! I think I am about ready to go. I have the logging off and was able to vacuum and then purge all mined hand other than my own. I realize doing this will allow me to still see mined statistics just not the hands. I had planned on deleting all hands other than my own by using the purge hands option. This erases all mined stats as well as hand histories, correct?

If I decide to export my DB now without doing that last purge, will all my mined stats show up on my HM after reformatting and importing?

Also, how much more memory can I open up by doing the last step? It said I had 3.2 million hands to purge before. Isn't it only remembering stats right now and not HHs anyway, would I open up that much more memory.

Sorry to ramble but if I could maintain my stats that would be awesome although my primary concern is memory issues with my laptop.

Is there anything special I have to do in order to export to a text file?

Again, thanks for all your help, I think I'm on the last step and about ready to reformat.

fozzy71
11-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all your help so far fozzy! I think I am about ready to go. I have the logging off and was able to vacuum and then purge all mined hand other than my own. I realize doing this will allow me to still see mined statistics just not the hands. I had planned on deleting all hands other than my own by using the purge hands option. This erases all mined stats as well as hand histories, correct?

Correct, and any hero hands that dont get filtered out by the purge options. Make sure all your site names are on your selected alias.

If I decide to export my DB now without doing that last purge, will all my mined stats show up on my HM after reformatting and importing?

No

Also, how much more memory can I open up by doing the last step? It said I had 3.2 million hands to purge before. Isn't it only remembering stats right now and not HHs anyway, would I open up that much more memory.

The actual purge process should regain you some space. It could purge 3.2 million hands? Are you sure you selected your alias? Your DB has a lot of mined hands?

Is there anything special I have to do in order to export to a text file?

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173