PDA

View Full Version : HEM freezes everytime I try to run it after latest update

YoungSkywalker
03-16-2012, 06:09 AM
Topic title pretty much speaks for itself. Not sure what to do... Anyone else have that problem?

netsrak
03-16-2012, 06:44 AM
The latest update runs a database update in the background. Depending on your database size this can last some minutes to hours during which the program says "not responding". Just let it run until its completed. Its not frozen, its just busy.

YoungSkywalker
03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Oh, okay, didn't realize that. Thanks for a quick response.

YoungSkywalker
03-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Okay, so now I know what the heck is on, I simply don't have enough free space on my C-drive, where I store my PostgreSQL databases... Cannot really delete anything there (since it's basically filled with those dbases and Win 7, not much more space left for anything else...), so my question is: can I somehow move all of that Postre stuff? And how to do it? I have no clue how to even touch it without screwing my databases up :/

jamie
03-17-2012, 07:07 PM
I got the following massage after I wait 10 minutes to start HM1.

"An error occured while updating your DB (Big pots support): A timeout has occured. If you were establishing a connection, increase

Timeout value in ConnectionString. If you were executic a command, increate the CommandTimeout value in ConnectionString or in

your NpgsqlCommand object.

Please close down any programs accessing the database and relaunch HM."

netsrak
03-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Okay, so now I know what the heck is on, I simply don't have enough free space on my C-drive, where I store my PostgreSQL databases... Cannot really delete anything there (since it's basically filled with those dbases and Win 7, not much more space left for anything else...), so my question is: can I somehow move all of that Postre stuff? And how to do it? I have no clue how to even touch it without screwing my databases up :/
See this: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition

I got the following massage after I wait 10 minutes to start HM1.

"An error occured while updating your DB (Big pots support): A timeout has occured. If you were establishing a connection, increase

Timeout value in ConnectionString. If you were executic a command, increate the CommandTimeout value in ConnectionString or in

your NpgsqlCommand object.

Please close down any programs accessing the database and relaunch HM."
Reboot your computer and try again, make sure you have enough free space on C: for running the update.
If its not working downgrade to 1.12.09 again and create a new empty database and select this empty database as default.
Reinstall the 1.12.10 upgrade, the database update should now run flawlessly with the empty database. Reimport all your hands from the archive folder (default c:\hmarchive).

jamie
03-18-2012, 07:15 AM
See this: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/Move+Database+to+Another+Hard+Drive+or+Partition

Reboot your computer and try again, make sure you have enough free space on C: for running the update.
If its not working downgrade to 1.12.09 again and create a new empty database and select this empty database as default.
Reinstall the 1.12.10 upgrade, the database update should now run flawlessly with the empty database. Reimport all your hands from the archive folder (default c:\hmarchive).

I got 170 GB on C:, I think that space have to be enough. I try the other way, thanks for quick response.

olliepower
03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Is the issue resolved now?

jamie
03-20-2012, 04:56 AM
I install the .09 version, export the old database, started a new one, after install .10 and it worked. Thx again

Didn't work with the new update. Thx microgaming

Salamando
03-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I have a very large database with around 7 years of data in it. I get the same timeout issue. Exporting and creating a new database is not my preferred option because not all my hands exists in the current HMArchive on this machine, and if I use the postgreSQL backup/restore, I assume the schema wont match after this .10 DB update? Maybe it would work anyway, I don't know the details of the .10 DB change. I don't want to get any errors and miss hands, and it takes a very long time to export all to text file and re-import. Is it possible to get the DB changes as an SQL script I can run in pgAdmin so it doesn't try to do it via HM1 when I load up .10 for the first time? (If it's something simple like a column addition ) Are there any other alternatives?

Patvs
03-23-2012, 03:03 AM
To prrevent the timeout error

You can try editing the PostgreSQL.config file in the PostgreSQL/8.4/data folder:

Change
#authentication_timeout = 1min # 1s-600s

to

authentication_timeout = 10min # 1s-600s

--

shared_buffers = 512 MB
work_mem = 128MB
maintenance_work_mem = 512 MB
effective_cache_size = 1024MB

And reboot

ryytis
03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
To prrevent the timeout error

You can try editing the PostgreSQL.config file in the PostgreSQL/8.4/data folder:

Change
#authentication_timeout = 1min # 1s-600s

to

authentication_timeout = 10min # 1s-600s

--

shared_buffers = 512 MB
work_mem = 128MB
maintenance_work_mem = 512 MB
effective_cache_size = 1024MB

And reboot

What program do I need to be able to edit the file? If I try to open it, it just says that windows cant open the file because it doesn't know the program to use or something. My database is prolly about 1million hands and I have tried to start Hem 4 times now after updating but it always gives me the error of time out. Even right after rebooting. :(

EDIT: NVM, looks like u can just use notepad lol, my bad.

EDIT2: Is the changed text missing the # in front of it on purpose?

EDIT3: Well looks like I can't save the file at least on notepad. It says the file cannot be created and then wants to save it as a .txt file.

Geeeeez this is so hard for someone that doesn't know this shit. Should have just waited for the update that has zoom hud too... Now I can't even start hem and it's all for nothing cos I just read that this doesn't help in Zoom Hud.

Salamando
03-31-2012, 01:26 AM
I have a very large database and this bigpot update never completes. I've managed to trace the schema changes by creating a dummy 12.09 database, then editing the .config file and setting DB trace on. I then updated the .config to have this new test DB as the default, and loaded HM1.

Then from the dbtrace.log I've managed to extract the schema / data changes. There's a bunch of SELECTs in between each of the changes, so I can only guess the schema changes are conditional based on what's already in your database, so the script for me might not be the same as the script for you.

Everything up to the ALTER TABLE at the end runs really quickly, it's the schema changes to pokerhands that's killing it. I'm now running as an individual SQL file in pgAdmin, and is running fine with no timeouts. I'll wait an see if it all works and HM1 loads properly with this database.

Salamando
03-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Great success!

It worked with this method. The schema changes took around 5 hours in pgAdmin. There were no issues changing to this database now under version .10, and it didn't attempt to do the changes again when starting up. If anyone is interested or needs to use this method I can provide the SQL script I used. Use at own risk and backup your data etc etc...

Patvs
03-31-2012, 07:55 AM
EDIT2: Is the changed text missing the # in front of it on purpose?

EDIT3: Well looks like I can't save the file at least on notepad. It says the file cannot be created and then wants to save it as a .txt file.

The missing "#" is on purpose.
If you remove it, it will use that line.
If the # is there is will ignore the line (and use its default)

Open notepad as administrator.
Or save it to desktop--> delete the original file--> and move the file from desktop to the folder

ryytis
03-31-2012, 08:32 AM
The missing "#" is on purpose.
If you remove it, it will use that line.
If the # is there is will ignore the line (and use its default)

Open notepad as administrator.
Or save it to desktop--> delete the original file--> and move the file from desktop to the folder

I can't tick the "open as administrator box" because it says that the program is part of windows or something :S

So I save the .txt file to desktop and then delete the original file and transfer the .txt file from desktop to the folder? Is it better to transfer the original file somewhere safe if it doesn't work with the .txt?

EDIT: And btw does it matter that I have 8.3 and not 8.4?

Patvs
03-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Instead of deleting the original, either rename the file, or move it to another folder.

Editing the file is the same for 8.3 and 8.4.
Though it's likely the chance of these time out errors are smaller if you use SQL 8.4 or 9.0.

ryytis
03-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Instead of deleting the original, either rename the file, or move it to another folder.

Editing the file is the same for 8.3 and 8.4.
Though it's likely the chance of these time out errors are smaller if you use SQL 8.4 or 9.0.

Ok I was able to change all the lines as supposed to and booted my computer and checked that they were still changed in the .conf file but when I start HEM it still gives me the timeout error after about 30mins.

Zzzzz :( What next?

Patvs
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Run dbcontrolpanel.exe and create a new database.
Startup HoldemManager with the new database.
Switch back to the old database.

If you then get the same error, reimport your hands into the new database.
(either by running a import from folder on your archive folder, or by exporting the hands from the old database: dbcontrolpanel.exe--> --. connect--. select old database--. set it as default--. export hands)

Spec
09-05-2012, 04:26 AM
I did the update to 1.12.10b without knowing that we would need as much space as the original db to make the update, so I'm stuck now with the problem described bu other users.

My DB is several years old and has more than 500 Gb, which includes not just my hands, but millions of data mined hands which files I don't have (I do regular backups and I was not not expecting a problem like this). My disk is 1T and basically full so I have absolutely no way of having enough space to do this update.

Question 1:
My last backup was done on August 31st. Is there any way I can revert to a previous HM1 version and restore this backed up database ? (I'm not sure which version I had before but looking at previous messages I suspect that it was 1.12.09)

If possible, what is the best way of doing that ?

Question 2
I have 2 small analysis databases which were already updated to 1.12.10b without problem. If now I revert back to a previous version because of the main database, will these still work ? If not any way of making it work ? (I don't have backups of these small databases)

Question 3
I have a lot of personalised reports. Will these be affected ?

Salamando
09-05-2012, 05:36 AM
Question 1:
My last backup was done on August 31st. Is there any way I can revert to a previous HM1 version and restore this backed up database ? (I'm not sure which version I had before but looking at previous messages I suspect that it was 1.12.09)

If possible, what is the best way of doing that ?

I had to do this a few times. I just used one of the earlier install files for HM1 and installed over the top of my old HM1 version and it reverted to the previous. I'm not sure where download files for the previous versions are, but one of the forum guys should be able to tell you. I was lucky as my downloads folder still held the previous patch...

However, I can't comment on your backup / restore. I always was forced to use the pgAdmin dump backup and restore functions, because the HM database functions never worked for me. If you did it the same as me, and used pgAdmin, then it's easy, just create an empty database and restore from your backup file in pgAdmin. Load your (now previous versioned) HM1 and connect to your database.

If you used the HM1 backup/restore wizard, have to check with someone else, I'm not even sure how those backups are stored.

Question 2
I have 2 small analysis databases which were already updated to 1.12.10b without problem. If now I revert back to a previous version because of the main database, will these still work ? If not any way of making it work ? (I don't have backups of these small databases)

Yeah I wondered this as well. It could, but I wouldn't place money on it. If the DB's are small you could maybe try exporting all hand histories as they are now just in case you go back a version and they don't work, at least you could make a new DB and re-import the hand histories.

Question 3
I have a lot of personalised reports. Will these be affected ?
If those reports are data in the tables, then I'm guessing no, as far as I understand (could be wrong) the changes were only schema changes - but check all this with the official HM1 guys - I'm just another user who had big issues with this change as well, and had to run-around trying to get it work because I didn't want to be stuck on an old version forever.

netsrak
09-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Q1: here are older releases: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/426/Download+Links+For+Past+Builds
Q2: yes, they will work with older releases
Q3: they will not be affected, reports are saved as files in the folder c:\porgram files\rvg software\holdemmanager\reports

Spec
09-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Q1: here are older releases: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/426/Download+Links+For+Past+Builds
Q2: yes, they will work with older releases
Q3: they will not be affected, reports are saved as files in the folder c:\porgram files\rvg software\holdemmanager\reports

I was able to find out that I had the version 1.12.09 before this failed update.

I downloaded that version and reinstalled. All sounded normal except that the pre fetch is broken in version 1.12.09.

In another topic http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/181601-i-cant-see-hud-stats-when-observing-table-waiting-big-bling.html] (http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/181601-i-cant-see-hud-stats-when-observing-table-waiting-big-bling.html) you said:

Prefetch/HomeGames is broken in 1.12.09 (as a result of PokerStars' change in the handhistory formatting)
Prefetch fixed in: Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files (http://www.filedropper.com/hmupdaterelease-1) (and in the NEXT official public build)

Is there any way I can get again the quick fix file ? The link is broken. This is a temporary solution until I'm able to buy a bigger disk and install the 1.12.10 from scratch.

Patvs
09-05-2012, 10:00 PM
You'll need a 1.12.10 build for prefetch.
Either use 1.12.09 without prefetch, or consider using a smaller database in 1.12.10 with only recent hands + prefetch.

Spec
09-06-2012, 07:37 AM
If I install 1.12.10 can I make a restore of a DB backed up with 1.12.09 ?

Patvs
09-06-2012, 10:45 PM
No, 1.12.10 uses a different database structure.
You must either update your 1.12.09 database (database update on such a large database will take days).
Or reimport hands into a NEW database in 1.12.10.

Spec
12-03-2012, 03:50 AM
I have a big disk now and ready to move to the new version / structure of HM1. Will the reports I created in 1.12.09 be deleted or they are preserved ?

Patvs
12-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Custom report stats / reports are preserved.

Latest HM1 update is: http://www.holdemmanager.com/Downloads/HmUpdate_Release_1.12.11_21Nov12.exe