PDA

View Full Version : Can't install PostgreSQL

soulsbyc
10-25-2009, 10:17 PM
I know there are other posts about this problem, but i have spent hours trying to fix this and would like some specific help.

I have followd the PostgreSQL Installation Guide, but when it starts installing I get the error:

"Failed to run initdb: 1!
Please see the logflie in 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\tmp\initdb.log'.
Note! You must read/copy this logfile before you click OK, or it will be automatically removed."

That log file says this:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

I don't know how to find the event log, so no idea what that says.

Please help! I really want to get HEM, but cant get past this. The other problem i have now is that since i already installed HEM my 15 day trial will be running out as i try to resolve this. I uninstalled HEM again, but not sure if this will stop my trial expiring?

netsrak
10-26-2009, 05:23 AM
Which operating system?

You have administrator rights?
UAC is switched off?
Try installing Postgresql 8.4 which has a smarter installation: http://www.enterprisedb.com/getfile.jsp?fileid=689

soulsbyc
10-27-2009, 01:15 AM
Im using windows vista, and have UAC off.

I assume i have admin rights, how do i check this? I only have one user set up on my computer.

I Have tried installing 8.4, but i get a completly different problem, one that i have had in the past with installing other software.

It starts installing, saying "Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable"

Then i get an error message saying something along the lines of:

"Error 1935. An error occured during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC.ATL,ttype='win32',version='8.0.50727 .762"publicKeyToken="1fc....

(by the way, how can i post images from my clipboard on here? this would be much easier that typing out the messages...)

Any ideas what the problem is here? I have looked up this error before and have not being able to figure ot out.

netsrak
10-27-2009, 06:51 AM
You should use a imagehoster like www.imageshack.us for posting image links.

I have never heard this error message before. The failure is in a Microsoft system component.

You can try to search and download the Microsoft redistributable package from the Microsoft sites to see if it makes a difference.