PDA

View Full Version : Saving Space

Tanner1277
10-24-2009, 03:26 AM
I have very many hands in my PostgreSQL database, is there anyway to reduce the size of all the hands or delete the files without anything being lost in HM or it disrupting it's normal operation?

fozzy71
10-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Logging:

I would suggest you turn off logging on your new SQL installation as well as these other performance improvements - Top 10: HEM performance increase tips

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog

File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

- Start > My Computer > C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, or C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\data\pg_log, if you have 64 bit Vista. Delete all files in that folder. And it might be a good idea to empty your recycle bin at that point, or use a 3rd party utility like CCleaner to clean up all your junk/temporary files. You want to do this before you get to the vacuum and defrag process.

You should regularly purge mined hands in your database, after purge vacuum / full analyze the database via pgadmin.
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=107
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163
and you can delete all files in the postgresql subfolder data\pg_log.

If you plan to have more hands in your database, and fear you might run out of space, you could move the postgresql installation to a different partition/drive:
http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=101

and check the performance tips from the link in my signature.

Tanner1277
10-31-2009, 12:07 AM
How long will it take to purge a lot of observed HH's on a slow single core PC? When i try to purge the hands nothing seems to happen, but HM does easily become non responsive if i try multi-task at that time.

fozzy71
10-31-2009, 01:29 PM
It depends on the size of your db, machine performance, and the amount you are trying to purge. It could take anywhere from a few minutes to more than hour if you had a massive DB.

Try purging a much smaller date/hands range to start, if your machine is not very hi-performance.