PDA

View Full Version : Lost all my hands?!?!?

4entourage
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM
So I formatted a PC and restored my database with "PGADMIN" and the "10-20-09.backup" database file.

It shows all the right players (about 150,000) and takes up about 80 gigs but it has NO hand histories - and shows NO stats or anything for my Alias?!?!??!

I still have the working one on the laptop so I wanna know what I did wrong since I still have the possibility to fix it

fozzy71
10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
backup/restore is never 100% guaranteed to work right.

This is why it is so important to keep your archived/processed files, and occasionally export the DB to text files.

80gb? How much of that is in the \data\pg_log? That can all be deleted and logging can be turned off.

You want to make sure you backup your Processed/Archived hand histories, your entire \config folder, and your exportednotes file. http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=119. I usually just copy my entire \Holdem Manager directory.

Make sure you export your tournament summaries: Tourney > Results > Dataview > All Hands > Right-Click > Export Tourney Results and Summaries.

I would also make sure you manually export the database to hand history text files:

HM > Options > Database Management > Connect > Export Hands

How do I export or import hands into and from Holdem Manager? - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173

Make sure you copy that folder as well as the other stuff I mentioned.

This helps to insure that if anything goes wrong with the backup/restore, you can manually import the exported files to rebuild.

4entourage
10-21-2009, 10:19 PM
backup/restore is never 100% guaranteed to work right.

This is why it is so important to keep your archived/processed files, and occasionally export the DB to text files.

80gb? How much of that is in the \data\pg_log? That can all be deleted and logging can be turned off.

You want to make sure you backup your Processed/Archived hand histories, your entire \config folder, and your exportednotes file. http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/?f=119. I usually just copy my entire \Holdem Manager directory.

Make sure you export your tournament summaries: Tourney > Results > Dataview > All Hands > Right-Click > Export Tourney Results and Summaries.

I would also make sure you manually export the database to hand history text files:

HM > Options > Database Management > Connect > Export Hands

How do I export or import hands into and from Holdem Manager? - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=173

Make sure you copy that folder as well as the other stuff I mentioned.

This helps to insure that if anything goes wrong with the backup/restore, you can manually import the exported files to rebuild.

The logging is off (PC_LOG folder is not even 1 meg... but the first folder in the list is base which is 85 gigs.... ???

netsrak
10-22-2009, 03:37 AM
80 GBs means you have about 10 Mio hands in your database.

If you cant see them: is it possible that you created the new database not with the same coding as the old one. Default was SQL_ASCII some versions ago. But current versions use UTF. Please check this. If it differs create a new database with the correct coding and restore the backup again.

4entourage
10-22-2009, 05:35 PM
80 GBs means you have about 10 Mio hands in your database.

If you cant see them: is it possible that you created the new database not with the same coding as the old one. Default was SQL_ASCII some versions ago. But current versions use UTF. Please check this. If it differs create a new database with the correct coding and restore the backup again.

So I was gonna try what you said. I erased PostSQL---re-installed it. I went to create a new Database in HEM so that I could restore it again--- but when I go to make the new DB and chose ASCII instead of UTF I get this error message:

[img=http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/5149/errormessage.th.jpg] (http://img97.imageshack.us/i/errormessage.jpg/)

netsrak
10-23-2009, 06:06 AM
choose template0 instead of template1

von_Sjaak0z
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I think i found the solution to this problem.

I formatted my pc as well, and all i had left was a backup.

When I restored the backup, I only saw the players, but no hands at all. However the hands are present in the database. So I think there is a problem with predefined views or other kinds of db stuff.

Anyway this is what worked for me.

1. Export all your hands in holdemmanager (YES on ur newest install, which seems to miss the hands), you will see that the hands will be exported as they should!.

2. Import these hands, this will create the stuff which is missing, some sort of link between the records and the gui.

3. Wait till its done, you will see it says all hands are duplicate, however after this, you will have access to your hands again :)

grtz Sjaak0z

EDIT: It seems only my own hands are avail now... guess I'll just build my db fresh

4entourage
10-23-2009, 11:38 PM
I think i found the solution to this problem.

I formatted my pc as well, and all i had left was a backup.

When I restored the backup, I only saw the players, but no hands at all. However the hands are present in the database. So I think there is a problem with predefined views or other kinds of db stuff.

Anyway this is what worked for me.

1. Export all your hands in holdemmanager (YES on ur newest install, which seems to miss the hands), you will see that the hands will be exported as they should!.

2. Import these hands, this will create the stuff which is missing, some sort of link between the records and the gui.

3. Wait till its done, you will see it says all hands are duplicate, however after this, you will have access to your hands again :)

grtz Sjaak0z

EDIT: It seems only my own hands are avail now... guess I'll just build my db fresh

So this process doesnt restore all the hands like you thought?

von_Sjaak0z
10-24-2009, 06:05 AM
So this process doesnt restore all the hands like you thought?

Well it most definitely restores all your own hands. So your statistics are accessible again. For some players I did get some hands, but not nearly as much as I had.

So no it doesnt work 100% completely, the strange thing however is, that the hands are in fact in the database, some connection between them and the GUI seems to be missing. Maybe some indexing or something, maybe we can get a response from one of the programmers?

fozzy71
10-24-2009, 09:06 AM
I personally never use or recommend this backup/restore method. I see way too many horror stories about missing hands or other issues. This is why saving the original/archived hands, and exporting the DB to text files, is so important. I obviously dont have an 80gb DB though, to have to import. :(

4entourage
11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
but from the beginning I never had it set to "Archive Hands"

What can I do now - so that all my hands in the database are archived so I can then back that folder up - or is it too late since I didnt do it from the beginning????

netsrak
11-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Did you do the restore we talked about before?
Did it work?

If it doesn't work look for the folder c:\hmarchive. You can import the hands from there again.