PDA

View Full Version : Postgres questions/port number

Chairman Wood
10-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't really know how this things work so excuse me if these are kinda scattered:

I'm trying to install HEM Omaha on one of my computers. I've followed the steps concerning postgres and all. I have postgres on my computer from when I installed PT3. It is version 8.2. I thought that if I just downloaded 8.3 from the site here and went along that I would just update the software. I'm having some difficulties though.

1. Probably before I go ahead with this I should probably ask if I should do anything other than just downloading 8.3 and going from there since I already have 8.2 ( although I've seem to forgot the database names and passwords, can anyone give me any information on how I can recover them?) Also, can or should I just get 8.4 anyway?

2. I'm getting an error messaging when I am trying to install 8.3. It says "The port number entered is already in use. Please specify a different port." I did a forum search for that specific message and I was told just to reboot the computer. I did and still have the same problem when I try again. I could change the port number like it said but I wanted to avoid later problems. What can I do?

3. Can I still use postgres 8.2 with omaha manager and if so should I or should I just update all. How can I update to 8.4 without losing all of what I have in 8.2. Sorry I'm a moron about these things.

Thank you.

fozzy71
10-20-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't really know how this things work so excuse me if these are kinda scattered:

I'm trying to install HEM Omaha on one of my computers. I've followed the steps concerning postgres and all. I have postgres on my computer from when I installed PT3. It is version 8.2. I thought that if I just downloaded 8.3 from the site here and went along that I would just update the software. I'm having some difficulties though.

This is not how you update postgre. That will install 8.3 along side of 8.2.

1. Probably before I go ahead with this I should probably ask if I should do anything other than just downloading 8.3 and going from there since I already have 8.2 ( although I've seem to forgot the database names and passwords, can anyone give me any information on how I can recover them?) Also, can or should I just get 8.4 anyway?

PT3's default name/password is - postgres/dbpass
HM's default name/password is - postgres/postgrespass

svcpass is another possibility

Go to your command function (for Vista users, type cmd in search) and type net user. This will show you which user groups are on your pc.

Net user will tell you what the user is on your machine.

If you still can't get connected thru HM you can either try to remove the password requirement entirely.

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Configuration Files > Edit pg_hba.conf

The file should open with Notepad

Scroll to the bottom where you will see this code

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5
# IPv6 local connections:
#host all all ::1/128 md5

You need to change the first 'md5' to 'trust', like this

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
#host all all ::1/128 md5

Save, and close the file.

Click: Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload configuration

2. I'm getting an error messaging when I am trying to install 8.3. It says "The port number entered is already in use. Please specify a different port." I did a forum search for that specific message and I was told just to reboot the computer. I did and still have the same problem when I try again. I could change the port number like it said but I wanted to avoid later problems. What can I do?

If you want to have 8.2 and 8.3 installed at the same time, pick a new port, like 5433 and install postgresql 8.3 along side 8.2. I dont suggest this for your situation.

3. Can I still use postgres 8.2 with omaha manager and if so should I or should I just update all. How can I update to 8.4 without losing all of what I have in 8.2. Sorry I'm a moron about these things.

Thank you.

You should be able to connect HEM to 8.2 and create a new DB.

Please update to the latest beta - http://www.holdemmanager.com/downloads/HmBetaUpdate.exe

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=146