PDA

View Full Version : Database missing after postgreSQL problem

Scarmaker
02-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Hello. Here is the deal:

For no reason, I could not run HEM today getting the "failed to make connection to postgreSQL" thingie.

I deleted postmaster.pid as advised by mr. Google and I also downloaded and ran the latest Combo Installer, installing only postgreSQL withouth uninstalling it before that.

Now my HEM works, however my old super huge database is missing and I got only hands imported today there.

Where should I go from this point in order to get my old database running?

Thanks a lot, Tom.

Patvs
02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Go Options--> Database Management--> Connect--> can you select your old databases??-> (set it as default)--> Start HoldemManager

If they're not there, go to C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/
how many subfolders are in that folder?
What are they called?

Scarmaker
02-29-2012, 03:48 PM
Go Options--> Database Management--> Connect--> can you select your old databases??-> (set it as default)--> Start HoldemManager

If they're not there, go to C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/
how many subfolders are in that folder?
What are they called?

Heh, of course I cannot, that is the reason I am posting in this, lol.

In the postgre directories there are two sub-folders:
8.4 (268MB, increased today from like 140MBish after playing and importing some hands)
8.4-prev-2012-02-Jan-00-20-01 (15GB, no increase today as far as I know)

Patvs
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
8.4-prev-2012-02-Jan-00-20-01 is the folder that contains your old database.

The HM installer (when you ran the combo installer) doesn't allow you to select the location of the old database folder (if will always create a new one).

So you have to reinstall PostgreSQL with the 8.4.11 installer from PostgreSQL: Welcome (http://www.postgresql.org). (which allows you to choose the /data folder, where you can select your old /data folder)
If you're unlucky during that installation it will automatically detect the new install folder, when that happens you have to delete the entries to your registry (regedit) that link to the new 8.4/data folder.

When they're deleted, and you reinstall, select the 8.4-prev-2012-02-Jan-00-20-01/data folder as your data folder.

Scarmaker
02-29-2012, 05:19 PM
8.4-prev-2012-02-Jan-00-20-01 is the folder that contains your old database.

The HM installer (when you ran the combo installer) doesn't allow you to select the location of the old database folder (if will always create a new one).

So you have to reinstall PostgreSQL with the 8.4.11 installer from PostgreSQL: Welcome (http://www.postgresql.org). (which allows you to choose the /data folder, where you can select your old /data folder)
If you're unlucky during that installation it will automatically detect the new install folder, when that happens you have to delete the entries to your registry (regedit) that link to the new 8.4/data folder.

When they're deleted, and you reinstall, select the 8.4-prev-2012-02-Jan-00-20-01/data folder as your data folder.

Thanks, gonna try that tommorow, will post results.

Scarmaker
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks, gonna try that tommorow, will post results.

OK I did that and I now I am back to my original problem: "Failed to establish connection to 127.0.0.1"
I even tried completely uninstalling HEM and PostgeSQL and installing it back again.

Any guess?

Thanks a lot.

Patvs
03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
On which site were these hands played?
Do you also have notes in the old database?

If you can't connect to the old database's /data folder, there is probably a corruption in the old database.

Ideally, you should create a new empty database, and reimporting the original handhistories into it.

Scarmaker
03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
On which site were these hands played?
Do you also have notes in the old database?

If you can't connect to the old database's /data folder, there is probably a corruption in the old database.

Ideally, you should create a new empty database, and reimporting the original handhistories into it.

iPoker
Yes, there are some notes in there as well.

I will try reimporting I guess.