PDA

View Full Version : missing hands, unreliable software, notes question, etc.

JYQGXQHXXU
10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
My database is missing a lot of games. I reimported the files from a different location so HEM would import them, but nothing changed. I created a new db and imported and now more games are showing up. Can't really trust HEM right now, so I still don't know if I'm missing games, but it at least looks much closer to correct.

I don't really understand how this could happen.

I've been updating notes in my db (the one that is missing games). Should I assume those are messed up too? Difficult to go through thousands of notes to confirm I'm not missing anything, but I need to be sure I didn't lose a ridiculous amount of note-taking work due to a HEM error.

Maybe a way to compare my notes files and see that my updated notes files contain all the notes found in my original exported notes files?

Mostly concerned w/ my notes at this point, but also interested if there's any explanation for the missing games issue?

Is there any way I can perform some sort of test to see if my db is messed up in the future? Pretty tilting knowing that I could be missing tons of hands if I don't carefully check all the numbers, despite HEM saying it successfully imported all my hands.

I can create a new thread too, but I hear fozzy knows his stuff so figured I'd start here.

Thank you.

JYQGXQHXXU
10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Also, possible unrelated issue, when I imported the hands, it says 62759 hands imported. When I go to my alias, it says 69580 hands. (This is in the brand new db w/ nothing else imported.)

?

netsrak
10-12-2009, 03:39 AM
I don't really know what to tell you about the different hand counts.
Only some general things:
You should do regular backups of your database because every computer crash or program crash can damage the structure of the database.
For the notes you could try to export them from the old database and compare them to an export of the new database.

I'll forward this thread to Fozzy and Fabio for further help.

Rvg72
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Regarding the hand count, I've never heard of anything like that but I'm guessing your alias is to blame. Maybe you added an incorrect player by mistake, someone who you played against so that one hand is counted twice. It won't make up hands so there must be an explanation for it.

Regarding the DB, it is hard to say what happened without more information and a careful look at the database but often this is due to powering off during an import or some type of physical hard drive issue. Your notes should all be fine since that is stored in a single table and any problem should affect all of them.

Roy