PDA

View Full Version : I need to upgrade my computer for HEM

jjyykk
10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Hello all,

I am currently running a P4 2.8 on a s478 motherboard with a 6800 GS and 3 gigs of ram. My only use for the PC is to run up to 16 tables on Cake, FTP, PS simultaneously while using HEM while watching a full screen Flash movie on the other monitor. This movie is never HD and is on Pokerpwnage/Cardrunners or whatnot.

My computer lags and freezes constantly when I try to do this. When I go down to about 4-6 tables, performance is fine. But adding more really tends to stuff the whole thing up.

Based on my research, people have told me that the video card/processor are not the bottleneck. And that I should be looking into getting an SSD. Do you think an SSD will be able to put performance where I want it? Or should I just buy a new PC. Thanks.

netsrak
10-10-2009, 02:07 PM
At first you should try to optimize your HM database. See the link in my signature.
Of course a new computer and a SSD will speed up everything.

jjyykk
10-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I have tried most/all of those performance tips.

fozzy71
10-10-2009, 05:36 PM
I just did a remote support for a p4 cpu (only 256mb of ram tho lol) and it was a nightmare.

I just replaced my 3 year old AMD 4200+ (dual core cpu) with 2gb RAM because it couldnt handle the work I do at HEM. I doubt it could have handled what you describe either. I would recommend a new PC. I spent $1k on a new HP Elite, Ci7 920 CPU w/ 9gb DDR3 RAM, and I love it.