PDA

View Full Version : Space issue

nabz
01-31-2012, 04:47 AM
Hi, due to the laggyness issues I had with hm2 I decided to buy a SSD which solved my problems. Hm2 is now running pretty fast. I installed PostgreSQL on my SSD. The problem now is that PostgreSQL is taking 100gig out of my 160gig SSD space.

Is there any way I can

A: install PostgreSQL on another hard drive(not beeing a SSD) and still run as fast as it is now ?

or

B: delete a huge part of my database keeping only the last 4-5 months

Thanks for the answers.

udbrky
01-31-2012, 10:17 PM
You can reinstall the data drive on another drive, and the database parent folder for HM2 in another spot. The times I did this, I did not notice that much of a dropoff.

Another option is to enable NTFS compression on the data/base folder for postgres and the parent folder in roaming\holdemmanager:

Best practices for NTFS compression in Windows (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251186)

I use it and have 15mill hands taking up 26gb total space.

You should also check these steps for optimizing your SSD:

Can You Get More Space Or Speed From Your SSD? : Optimizing Precious Solid-State Storage (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911.html)

Also, please make sure that you have turned off logging in postgres.conf file - open in notepad, ctrl-f logging, set to off, save and restart postgres service or reboot. You can delete all files in log folders in postgres.

nabz
02-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for these inputs. I compressed the whole roaming/Holdemmanager folding and gained 3gig. It's a good start but it's not enough. I will try to reinstall de data on another drive but im not really sure how to do so.

Patvs
02-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Also compress C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL

In HM1 there are a lot of tables that deal with a specific hand played by a specific player. In HM2 we don't have these tables, instead, for player related hand data, we use a flat file approach. Each player has his own folder and each file represents a single day. Each line within the file is a tokenized version of a single hand with incredible amounts of detail. Your overall HM2 spaced used (DB + Files) is about 2/3 of HM1 and we store probably 2-3 times as much info plus it can be accessed many, many times faster and allows us to do some things that wouldn't be possible otherwise, many of which are yet to come. If you don't want the space in your Roaming folder due to C: file space or something like that, we do give you the option of storing this data anywhere

General rule is 1 million hands = 10 GB.

In reality 1 million hands =
HM1: 6.8 GB
HM2: 4.3 GB
PT4: 13.6 GB

So with a 10 million hand database you need as SSD of at least 60 GB (Windows) + 100 GB = 160 GB.
We use 1 million = 10 GB (instead of 6.8) because when you want to perform a vacuum/analyse or backup/restore a database it will require a LOT of disk space to perform such a task.

--

To change the location of the database:
-1 read: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/368/MoveDatabaseToAnotherHardDriveOrPartition
(to change the location of the /data folder)
-2 create a new database, allows you to change the location of the /roaming/holdemmanager/database folder

nabz
02-05-2012, 05:35 PM
So I moved my database to an external hard drive and hm2 is still running fast! Thanks for the help.