PDA

View Full Version : Computer will bluescreen while importing hands. Help!

Eclipse86
09-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Hey guys, so I recently got a new computer and I've been importing datamined hands into a new database (roughly about 5million hands at once). Each time it gets to about 1.2 - 1.3 million hands imported my computer will just blue screen (bsod) and then restart itself. This happens relatively quickly and I haven't been able to see what it says on the blue screen since I'm usually doing other things on another computer during those imports. So far its happened two times in a row after about 1.2-1.3million hands are done importing.

Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with HEM, or could this be a hardware issue on my part?

Prior to starting this import, I had imported about 900k hands yesterday, and that went smoothly without a problem. However, the last 2 imports have BSOD'ed on me after reaching about the 1.2-1.3m hands imported range.

I am trying this import for the 3rd time and I'll see if it still happens. In the meantime I have saved the minidump files from the bluescreen errors, and I can post them here if u guys wanted to take a look at them.

Please help!

Oh ya, I'm almost running Vista Premium 64bit with UAC Turned off and Run as Administrator turned on for HEM. HEM version is 1.09 beta 34.

Kind regards,
- Carl

netsrak
09-29-2009, 03:21 AM
You should import hands in smaller portions.

Eclipse86
09-29-2009, 04:05 AM
You should import hands in smaller portions.

so is this is a known HEM bug?

because on my other computer that I installed HEM on about half a year ago, I imported about 4-5 million hands at once without a problem (took me about 15 hrs to finish) but the thing was it ran in its entirety without crashing.

netsrak
09-29-2009, 05:53 AM
I don't think its a bug, i think its more a problem of the resources on your computer.

Eclipse86
09-29-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't think its a bug, i think its more a problem of the resources on your computer.

Hey guys, so I ran another import and this time it went up to over 2m hands, then about 30 minutes later my computer randomly restarts. This is starting to get really annoying, 3 bsod/crashes in the last 12 hrs.

I have a near top of the line computer Netsrak - core i7 processor 2.66ghz, with 12gigs of ram, and a 2TB HD. Only HEM is running during the import, and even after the last 2 million hands where imported I checked my CPU usage %, and it never once went over 20%. So I don't think it is a problem with lack of resources.

Is it possible I could have bad hardware on my computer? Perhaps faulty ram, or a defective video card?

I'm going to try stress testing my computer with a couple different tests and see if I get any bad results.

This is strange to me because on my other computer, which is a Core2Duo Quad Core 3ghz with 8gig ram I am able to import 2-3 million hands easily with no computer bsod's or system restarts.

Kind regards,
- Carl

netsrak
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I didn't meant a lack of resources but a problem with RAM or sth. like that. Lets wait for the results of the stress test.

Eclipse86
09-30-2009, 02:27 AM
I didn't meant a lack of resources but a problem with RAM or sth. like that. Lets wait for the results of the stress test.

Okay, there is definately something with my computer that is causing it to not run stable =(. I was also getting bsods when running windows update and stuff like that last week when I first got the computer prior to installing any software, but after a couple reformats and trying to install all the drivers first before running windows update I was able to get windows update to run successfully so I just shrugged it off thinking it was a driver issue (running windows update before installing chipset drivers = bad perhaps?).

However once I started running imports on HEM the bsod's came back. I sorta suspected it might be a hardware issue on my part since I didn't see anyone else having these types of problems.

Anyways, so far i've tested my system with Prime95 64bit edition (tests cpu + ram?), within 2 minutes of testing errors come up, and in 5 minutes the computer will just randomly restart. Not good. I didn't overclock the system at all, however im using 12gb ddr3 ram at 1600mhz, at 7-7-7-24 timings on a core i7 920 at stock settings (everything set to auto in the bios with only the ram settings and timings manually tweaked in). Anyways I ran 5 tests with Prime95 and each one came up like that. I'm not sure if the computer restarts are due to the stress test overheating my CPU or not (from what I observed the temps would go as high as 63-67 degrees C before restarting). However, the overheating won't make much sense since I didnt overclock anything, could be a faulty processor perhaps? In any case, the tests failed brutally with multiple errors occuring each time.

FWIW I've read that your supposed to run Prime95 for like 24 straight hours to test system stability.

I then ran Super Pi, and test also gets errors and fails within 5 minutes of running.

Intel Burn Test seems to run to completion sucessfully on a "standard" test. I have yet to try a higher-grade test for that program.

I'm in the process of testing out the ram now with Memtest86+ v4.00.

Hopefully someone who has experience with troubleshooting computer stability problems/hardware problems, specially that on the core i7 processors can chime in?

netsrak
09-30-2009, 03:27 AM
I don't think this is the best forum for problems like this but hopefully one of the users can help.

Eclipse86
10-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Update:

Finally found out the problem and fixed the stability issue with my system. Now HEM Import is running fine. Just did a 12-15 hr import of 5million hands and it ran till completion perfectly.

netsrak
10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Thats nice to hear :)