PDA

View Full Version : Cant even open HEM

luckyman
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
hi,

whenever i try to open HEM it says:

the following error occurred when trying to open the database: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. It then takes me to the bit where u connect, when i try to connect, it gives me a huge list connections or something

The only thing ive changed is i downloaded a windows update.

any ideas?

fozzy71
09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Under Vista and Windows 7 make sure UAC is disabled http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afm....aspx?faqid=73 and/or holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the holdemmanager.exe and the hmhud.exe executable and select "Run as admin" from the popup menu.

First try a simple reboot.

If no help, try this:

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Stop Service

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.x > Start Service

Add exceptions to the windows firewall, even if it is off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, uninstall it completely before installing HM/SQL - http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

Please try following all of these FAQs, step by step:

1) http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34
2) http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8261

If that doesn't help at all we may want to schedule a remote support session to assist you.

pdiggz
09-25-2009, 02:10 AM
Hi -

I am getting this, also. Did you figure this out, luckyman?

I am running the Trial version, if that matters. I thought that I would probably buy, if I could get it to work properly.

I have only imported hands from Cake and so HUD is not an issue.

It has been frustrating. I was able to set it up and it was working. Then, the next time I tried to open HEM, I got this. Not sure what happened in between it working and now.

Fozzy - I went through your list of suggestions and nothing seemed to work.

Could really use some help.

Thanks.

netsrak
09-25-2009, 05:26 AM
Are you sure that your firewall is configured correctly?

Can you connect to the postgresql service via pgadmin?

You can try to change the user for the postgresql service to "Local system account" in the Windows services (Start->run-> services.msc).

Please come back if you need further help.

luckyman
09-25-2009, 07:34 AM
thanks fozzy, simple reboot and it was fine

gl with it pdiggz

pdiggz
09-25-2009, 11:14 AM
netsrak -

I will try the things with postgresql that you mentioned. I am using 8.3 - could that be an issue? I am on Windows Vista, by the way.

Could there have been a problem with how I originally set up postgresql (ie, not as administrator)?

It is weird since I was able to set it up and set up HEM and import hands and everything and the next time I tried to use HEM I get this.

A little more info - I have BitDefender anti-virus - could this be an issue?

Should I try uninstalling and then reinstalling both postgresql and HEM?

I am not real computer savvy so any help is really good for me.

Thanks.

fozzy71
09-25-2009, 11:50 AM

It is weird since I was able to set it up and set up HEM and import hands and everything and the next time I tried to use HEM I get this.

postgreSQL connections can be delicate, and all it takes sometimes is a windows auto update to mess everything up.

A little more info - I have BitDefender anti-virus - could this be an issue?

Try uninstalling any/all anti-virus and firewalls temporarily, til you get HM working again. Turn off the windows firewall, and set exceptions as instructed in the links.

If you are still having issues, and need some assistance, Please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download the www.Teamviewer.com Quick Support Module. It does not need to be installed, as it can run directly from your Desktop/Directory. Please let me know what time zone you are in and what time/days are convenient for you.

pdiggz
09-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Quick update - I seem to have gotten it to work. I had to take off the BitDefender Antivirus and that seemed to do it.

So, am i unable to have an antivirus program running? That doesn't seem like a great solution. It seems strange that postgresql and antivirus software would not be compatible. Do most people with Vista have this problem?

Really appreciate all of the help, guys.

fozzy71
09-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I use Avira without issues. I know of others that use AVG, Kapersky, McAffee, Norton, etc, w/o issue. BitDefender may have some type of exclusion or safe-programs setting, but I am not familiar with that software personally. Just find something else you like, that doesnt cause conflict. The hard part is over now that you know what the conflict was.

pdiggz
09-28-2009, 12:39 PM
thanks fozzy. i appreciate all of your help.