PDA

View Full Version : effective stack filter bug

zoom7
09-17-2009, 06:40 PM
When I set Effective Stack (BB) filter to "More than 0" it returns 83679 hands, there are 98251 in my database though (shown with no filters), so there must be something wrong with the filter.

Anybody had the same problem? Anyway to fix this or find its root cause?

netsrak
09-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Which HM version?

zoom7
09-19-2009, 08:13 AM
1.09 beta 30b.

netsrak
09-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Please try with the latest beta and if it still occurs please mail some screenshots with a link to this thread to fabio@holdemmanager.net.
I think thats a good start after his vacation :p

zoom7
09-19-2009, 11:57 AM
Yes happened with 1.09 beta 33 also. I think I'm going to try to re-import all of the hands (if I can find them) to see if that would fix it. If not there must be a bug in the importer or the filter. I'll get back to you.

zoom7
09-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Ok I tried re-importing all hands, didn't work out. 102985 hands in db and with "eff stack > 0" filter displays only 87676 hands. I e-mailed Fabio.

zoom7
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
I think I found out what hands it excludes with the filter. If I'm out of position (BB) in headsup and villain folds the button the hands don't show up no matter what the stack sizes are. For example:

***** Hand History for Game 1368314272 ***** (Entraction)
$100.00 USD NL Texas Hold'em - Monday, September 21, 06:01:56 ET 2009
Table Faura (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Seat 1: Hero ( $201.90 USD )
Seat 2: Villain ( $20.85 USD )
Hero posts big blind [$1.00 USD].
Villain posts small blind [$0.50 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Kd Jd ]
Villain folds
Hero wins $0.50 USD
Hero wins $1.00 USD from main pot

I verified this by setting filter to "Position: Big Blind" and "Preflop Action: None" which returned the missing 15 308 hands.

Rvg72
09-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Hi, when you are in the big blind and it is folded to you your effective stack size is not valid so that is why these hands are filtered out. Effective Stack measures how much of your stack could be at risk once it is your turn to play preflop and in this case that is 0.

Thanks,
Roy

zoom7
09-23-2009, 05:31 PM
It's not very intuitive though, now is it? For example if I want to find out how I've done with effective stacks > 100BB this will skew the results a lot (= a lot of won 1.5BB pots that aren't included) and might lead to wrong conclusions.

I think this should be changed, or is there any other reason (other than "that's how it is") that would say otherwise? IMO it's just misleading to have this filter work in any other way.

zoom7
09-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Bump...

It's annoying, it's like the third bug (of course you can argue this isn't a bug but a feature) I've reported and not single one of them have been fixed IIRC (altho at least one did go away itself as Ongame changed their software).

Can somebody give me explanation WHY the filter works like this?

Timtif
10-05-2009, 01:31 PM
did u tried in % of 0.1 for 10% of 100bb?
something has changed in that it seems because my tablescannerfilters didnt worked anymore with 10 or 55. they do again with 0.1 and 0.55

Rvg72
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Bump...

It's annoying, it's like the third bug (of course you can argue this isn't a bug but a feature) I've reported and not single one of them have been fixed IIRC (altho at least one did go away itself as Ongame changed their software).

Can somebody give me explanation WHY the filter works like this?

Effective stack is a stat with a formula and when you are in the big blind and it is folded to you you have no effective stack. You can use the Stack Size filter if you want to see how you do with certain stacks in certain spots. If you use Position = BB and Effective Stack Size < 1 you can see overall results for that spot.

Roy

nofolmholdm
10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Effective stack is a stat with a formula and when you are in the big blind and it is folded to you you have no effective stack. You can use the Stack Size filter if you want to see how you do with certain stacks in certain spots. If you use Position = BB and Effective Stack Size < 1 you can see overall results for that spot.

Roy

What is the formula for the effective stack stat? I ask because I am working on a report and trying to filter by effective stacks during the flop. Problem is I end up with many heads up post flop hands vs short stackers where the actual effective stack < 50 but the filter matches > 100.

Rvg72
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
At the time of your first action it is the maximum amount you could lose in the hand. So if you are in the SB and it is folded to you then the effective stack is either your stack size or the BB, whichever is lower. if in this same hand the EP player limped in then his stack becomes live and it part of the equation.

So, for example, EP stack = $100, you have $90 and BB is $50

In first example where it is folded to you the effective stack is $50. In the second example your effective stack is $90 since the EP is in the hand so your entire stack is at risk.

Roy

nofolmholdm
10-27-2009, 04:48 PM
At the time of your first action it is the maximum amount you could lose in the hand. So if you are in the SB and it is folded to you then the effective stack is either your stack size or the BB, whichever is lower. if in this same hand the EP player limped in then his stack becomes live and it part of the equation.

So, for example, EP stack = $100, you have $90 and BB is $50

In first example where it is folded to you the effective stack is $50. In the second example your effective stack is $90 since the EP is in the hand so your entire stack is at risk.

Roy

As a final clarification:

If I am on the button with 200bb. BB has 20bb and SB 100bb. I raise, SB folds, BB calls. The Effective stack is 100bb, even though I can only now lose 20bb. This is because the calculation is performed at the start of the hand.

Can you share the calculation/query you are using to determine this? I may look into writing custom stats/queries to pull effective stack information once we hit the flop or once preflop actions are complete, and would love something to work from.

Thanks much Roy.