PDA

View Full Version : Back up error

StopLimping
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm trying to do a backup, and when I hit start back up on the hem backup window it says "application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)" and then "error backup holdemmanager"

How can I get this to work?

Patvs
01-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Which PostgreSQL version are you using?
Backup/restore will only work with SQL 8.4

If you're using 8.2/8.3/9.0/9.1 do it manually it pgadminIII: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/72/Backup%26RestoreDatabase

StopLimping
01-17-2012, 09:27 PM
I do have sql 8.4. When I go to click on pgAdmin III it also gives me the same error "0xc000007b" and says "The application was unable to start correctly."

Do I reinstall postgre?

Patvs
01-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Your issue then is caused by either:
a corrupt database (1)
or a corrupt PostregreSQL installation (2)

1) Try creating a new database: import a couple of hands--> try to backup the database--> do you still get the error?
If you do: reinstall PostgreSQL

StopLimping
01-17-2012, 11:22 PM
I checked to see if db was corrupt, so I made a new one to try but the error was still there.

I uninstalled postgre but now when I downloaded it and try installing it it says to enter the password and does not let me continue. Password is neither "postgres" nor my windows username password. Then I tried the command net user postgres /delete but it does not seem to do anything. All previous postgres folders are deleted as well.

morning storm
01-17-2012, 11:29 PM
hi patvs,

what format should the backup be saved in?

after i complete the backup onto an external drive, the file is 1.26gb (is that standard?) but when i click on it, 'Windows cant open this file... do i want to use a web service to find the correct program' etc

wondering if i have done something wrong. thanks!

Patvs
01-18-2012, 12:30 AM
When you reinstall the password is: postgrespass
If it doesn't accept that as a password, delete the postgres user first:
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

/

--

Backup file is compressed and will be about one-tenth the size of the database.
PostgreSQL backup (in pgadminIII) will result in a .backup file. (needs to be restored in pgadminIII)
Backup using the backup tool in HoldemManager will result in a .hembk file. (needs to be restored by running hmbackup.exe from the HoldemManager folder)

StopLimping
01-18-2012, 01:24 AM
postgrespass worked, and I can backup and access pgAdmin III but now that I reinstalled it my db has been deleted too (which was what I was trying to prevent in the first place)? Is there any way to get back the hands?

Patvs
01-18-2012, 02:29 AM
If you reinstalled PostgreSQL, most likely, it renamed your old PostgreSQL folder
Check the folder C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL/ if it has a backup of your old folder.
If it does, reinstall PostgreSQL again (with the manual installer from PostgreSQL: Welcome (http://www.postgresql.org)) and when you have the option to enter the location of the /data folder---> direct it to your old /data folder.

Alternatively, just reimport all your hands into the new database, by running a import from folder on the archive folder, C:/HMArchive.

StopLimping
01-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Yeah, that worked. Thanks.

morning storm
01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Backup file is compressed and will be about one-tenth the size of the database.
PostgreSQL backup (in pgadminIII) will result in a .backup file. (needs to be restored in pgadminIII)
Backup using the backup tool in HoldemManager will result in a .hembk file. (needs to be restored by running hmbackup.exe from the HoldemManager folder)

ah ok

so to clarify should we back up from postgresql, OR using the tool in holdemmanager? or both? is it the same information being backed up in each case?

thanks

Patvs
01-18-2012, 11:47 PM
They're basically the same.
The only difference is the internal tool will ALSO allow you to backup your:
Config (all your settings)
Custom Reports
Custom Filters
FishFinder (all your TableFinder settings!)
SitNGo Wizard Data

But the internal tool will require PostgreSQL 8.4 only, whereas you can backup in pgadminIII using other versions of PostgreSQL.

morning storm
01-19-2012, 12:28 AM
ah ok, right. so the hem backup > postgres backup (if possible), but postgres is adequate. thanks