PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues after 1-2 hours of play

j22
01-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey all,

I do have an ongoing email thread with support but I thought I'd toss this one out to the community as it is been quite tricky. After 1-2 hours of play my computer goes completely bonkers. CPU usage spikes and it is all I can do to unpost at my tables and finish my remaining hands. Once I get down to 3-4 tables still active (I 18 table) the problem goes away. Processes at the top of the list during the spikes are : Pokerstars.exe, HMImport, DWM.exe, Tableninja and a few others - they jockey around all taking between 8-20% of CPU usage which is maxed. The usual processes all seem to just require 100x as much CPU as they did. The onset of symptoms is not subtle. I will be playing just fine one minute and the next it will be unplayable. I have noticed this issue with HM2 but quit testing that for the time being.

My specs:

I5 3.3 ghz, 8 gb ram, radeon 6950, 240 gb SSD. No problems there I presume. The computer is a custom build so there could be some sort of obscure hardware glich but if there is I don't know it. There's only a few programs installed after win7: Tableninja, HEM1, HM2, (using HM1 now), Pokerstars, Steam and skype.

What I have done so far:

Everything? jk but here's the list:
- Any file that seems remotely important is run as admin.
- I do run Microsoft Security essentials and tableninja, HEM, HMimport, Postgres etc all on the exceptions list. This was causing problems initially (MSMPENG.exe was using 50% of the CPU and crashing me) but that problem is now solved.
- Windows is up to date. If it means anything - I had about 3 .NET framework updates and they took a LONG time to install - like 20 min each (could have been d/ling not sure). Bad SQL install maybe??
- Postgres 8.4 installed
- I have recently added the suggested exceptions to windows firewall (it was always turned off) because I read somewhere you should do it anyway - I have NOT tested it after this.
- disabled indexing on the ssd.
- Probably some other things I've scoured these forums for solutions (The top 10 list, etc)

Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks,

-j

Patvs
01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Can you run a benchmark of the harddisk with CrystalDiskMark to see if there's something wrong with the 4k read/write speeds.

Try install PostgreSQL 9.0 to port 5433 and reimport your hands.

j22
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Ok will try those two things today. Did a 2 hour session last night with all of my monitors up and of course nothing went wrong.

This one is going to be tough. Anything to look for on the 4k test or will it just say pass/fail?

EDIT: How do I run a benchmark? It seems more like a passive app (sorry never used it)

-w

j22
01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
Interesting thing - I was reimporting hands and hit "refresh" on crystaldiskmark and my hand/sec got super nerfed down to 75ish from 180ish.

Hm for some reason I'm uber slow on the importing - started a larger batch and it's barely doing 80 hands/sec. Down to 50/sec as I write this. I thought I did 175 ++ when I did the original import. System processes show postgres taking up most, perform.exe and HMimport.exe a chunk as well. Still all blue and 100% good on that Crystakdiskinfo after a refresh but I admit I have no clue how to use the program. I disabled Microsoft security essentials real time protection as I thought that might be causing it to import slow. The last import was not this bad. Something is definitely up here. More to come as I test.

-will

EDIT:

One other thing. I discovered 23 optional windows updates (I thought I did all of these yesterday) that were not installed. 2 of them were .NET framework updates (I did 3 of those yesterday as well). I am installing those now. They are taking a LONG time if that means anything - like 20 minutes++ install time(not d/l time).

Patvs
01-13-2012, 09:00 PM
After the updates. Reboot.
Then run another Windows Update, looking for more new updates.

CrystalDiskMark benchmark looks like:

http://assets.overclock.net.s3.amazonaws.com/6/65/65e2ea67_vbattach139237.png

I'm mostly interested in the 4k read/write speeds.

150 hands/s--> going down to 50 hands/s is normal for HM1.