PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting

Arizona Willie
09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Yesterday I was on Stox watching a beginners video ( audio really ) and it asked if I knew what my range was. I had to say that I didn't.

Ranges are confusing anyway because there are so many different ranges they refer to at different times. But then poker itself is confusing :)

But at the time, I believe they were referring to the hands you will play preflop.

So I went into Holdem Manager and went into Cash Games / Reports and selected Hole Cards from the Report list. Then clicked Refresh. then clicked on the Won Hand% column header and got it sorted by the hands I won most often with.

I haven't played many cash games. I only had 2643 hands. But there were 15 hands I had won with 50% of the time or better! There were 170 different sets of hole cards dealt to me. When I checked on my tournament hands the same way there were also 170 different hands but only 13 I had won 50% or better with.

For the most part they are Group 1 hands as you might expect with a couple of surprises. For instance in cash games 87s won 50% of the time! I only had that 4 times but was surprised that it was a 50% winner. Tournament hands surprises were different.

I exported the grids to an Excel spreadsheet where I could do some other calculations.

Sad to say, I only caught one of those hands that was a 50% or better winner 6.09% of the time. And only won with them 4% of the time.

Difficult to be a winner with that kind of numbers.

There were quite a few hands that I would have expected to have won better such as AQo which came in at 40.7%.

All of which means I have A LOT TO LEARN ABOUT HOW TO PLAY.

There is just sooo much to be learned from HM.

Another interesting search is to go to Cash Games, load the Pocket Pairs filter, Holecards Report, sort by WonHand% and see which pocket pairs you win with and which you might as well fold.

These are undoubtedly different for each of us. I would have thought that any pocket pair would give some advantage and it surely does although some don't win as much as I might expect. I had 159 pocket pairs and their win%average was 45.3.

When I look at all hands with no filter and check the WinHand% column it has only a 11.1% average. Which is because I'm not a good player ... yet.

But obviously having any pocket pair or any 50% winners group gives a big advantage.