PDA

View Full Version : Well this is bad > HD is out of space, and not clear hot to delete HEM DB

domino66
09-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Here's the problem > I tried to RESTORE the big HEM DB I created on my desktop on my laptop (which has a 120GB HD).

In a .backedup state, it was 3.55 GB, and there was 22GB of free space on my laptop, which i figured would be enough to restore it. I was wrong, and the PGADMIN III window gave me an error about 2 hrs into the RESTORE procedure; sure enough, I checked my HD, and there was only 3 MB of free space, so i had definitely run out of space to do the full restore.

Here's the problem > I have no clue how to tell either HEM or PGAmin to remove from my HD whatever portion of the DB it was able to restore. Basically, I just want to remove it whatever portion of the DB was restored and reclaim those 22GB of HD space, then decide what other things to delete from my HD and try again.

But the name of the HEM DB that I guess was partially restored doesn't show up when I open up PGAdmin, and also isn't in the Database Management window of HEM itself. In other words, I'm now sitting here with a laptop that has zero free space on its HD and no clue how to tell it to simply delete the massive postgres database that i told it to restore (but turns out i did not have enough space to finish the task).

What should I do?

fabio
09-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Uninstall PostgreSQL and delete the complete folder would be the easiest way, assuming you dont havy an other important databases on your laptop. If so, backup those hands first

domino66
09-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Uninstall PostgreSQL and delete the complete folder would be the easiest way, assuming you dont havy an other important databases on your laptop. If so, backup those hands first

Is this really the only solution? I unfortunately DO have a ton of other DBs on my laptop; nothing that can't be backed up/restored I guess, but I'm thinking that would take me the better part of several days (the reason i only had 22GB of free space left was precisely because I had a ton of other large DBs -- prob 10M+ hands worth) on there.

fabio
09-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Can you export/backup them to a external harddrive or something?

domino66
09-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Can you export/backup them to a external harddrive or something?

Yes, as I wrote, there's nothing stopping me from backing up all of the DBs, moving them to an external HDD (i guess that's not even necessary b/c i could just back them up to .backup format files on my laptop, and they won't get deleted when i delete postgres 8.2), then delete 8.2, reinstall it, and then restore all of my backed-up DBs.

Downside is that b/c they're so big, that would def take several days to do...is there no other solution u can think of here? e.g. there's no way to identify whatever portion of the big HEM database WAS restored, and essentially 'undo' that?

fabio
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm no PostgreSQL expert so I can't answer that question, maybe Morny can.