PDA

View Full Version : Hold'em Analytics (beta)

nevertiltever
08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
For the past several months, I have been working on a reporting tool for Hold'em Manager that I am calling Hold'em Analytics. About a month ago, I announced it on the Deuces Cracked forums (http://www.deucescracked.com/forums/23-Software-and-Tools/25504-New-beta-software-Hold-em), and received very positive feedback.

The tool is geared towards Hold'em cash games. It doesn't work with Omaha or Tournaments yet.

As a struggling micro NLHE player, my motivation for building the tool is to get better insight into my opponent's hand ranges. Using the data in your Hold'em Manager database, Hold'em Analytics generates several types of graphs showing the hand ranges you will face in different situations.

These graphs will help you answer questions like:

- Does an individual player have exploitable betting tendencies?
- Is the Baluga Theorem true?
- What range of hands does a LAG player call with on the flop, turn or river?
- What hands will players shove preflop, or postflop with?
- What proportion of Nits, TAGs, LAGs, etc. play at my site and my stakes?
- What is a good board to C-bet? How much does fold equity change from dry flop to an action flop?

Hand ranges are obviously biased to those that went to showdown, but the insights should be useful nonetheless.

There are some screen shots available at: http://www.holdemanalytics.com.

Each page in the application offers a flexible set of filters, including player stats, so you can answer more specific questions.

Left-clicking on most histogram data points lets you view or export hands for further analysis.

I put together a quick web site, where you can download and install from: http://www.holdemanalytics.com.

Details and disclaimers:

Hold'em Analytics is beta software. It works great on my Hold'em Manager database of a few hundred thousand 6-max NLHE hands. There are still bugs, but I am releasing it because I feel it is useful as-is, and I would like to get feedback on how it can be improved.

This tool only reads from your Hold'em Manager database. It will never, ever, write to it.

I have tested with Hold'em Manager 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9 beta.

The setup program uses Microsoft ClickOnce technology. This means you need to click the Install link (http://www.holdemanalytics.com/clickonce/publish.htm) using Internet Explorer (or FireFox 3 if you have .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed). Each time you run Hold'em Analytics, it will check for an updated version.

If you prefer, there is a standalone setup program available too.

The database queries can be time consuming. If you have 100's of thousands or millions of hands in your Hold'em Manager database, start by setting stakes and date ranges. You can widen the date ranges as you get a feel for query times.

I hope you find this tool useful. If you have problems getting it running, please PM me. I look forward to your questions and feedback...

Mon
09-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Hello, thank you for this. I just installed it and looks really interesting.

Botmac
09-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Sweet program, it will be very useful. I have a request, in the name boxes(include, exclude players) would it be possible to put a dropdown box with player name eg, I type in botmac, when I type the letter "b" all aliaises starting with "b" show up ,then I can just pick the player I want. Again great job, thank you.:D

nevertiltever
09-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Great idea. I will work on adding that.

nevertiltever
09-02-2009, 03:56 PM
I just posted an updated build with support for autocomplete on the include/exclude player entry. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Botmac
09-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes, very cool, thank you. One thing I did notice players with goofy names like A_ BSD_N55 as an example do not show up, I guess the lines screw thing up. I really like what you've done with this progam, I need to get more hands in to take full advantage of it, only a micro stakes player, and being a bankroll nit I just have to be patient. Again great job.:)

nevertiltever
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
It looks like the player alias lookup is case sensitive. I just posted an update that makes it case insensitive, but I need to continue to work on supporting all the weird characters in player names.

The latest update also improves/fixes the fold to bet and fold to raise graphs on the Street Actions tab. They have not been replaced by Action facing Bet/Raise, showing you more detail on how people respond to bets and raises. You can also view/export hands from these new graphs.

vincenzo67
09-19-2009, 08:24 AM
I've tried it and I find it great. But I've exprerienced problems with Limit:
the stakes drop down menu show more than 30 times "$0.25/0.5 LIM".
If I try to do some statistics with limit it show just few hands, in spite of more than 1500K limit hands in my database.

Tom888
09-20-2009, 08:15 AM
I'm in Vista and am getting an error message:

Cannot connect to Holdem Manager database. See log file for details. Settings not saved.

Any ideas?

nevertiltever
09-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm in Vista and am getting an error message:

Cannot connect to Holdem Manager database. See log file for details. Settings not saved.

Any ideas?

If you re-launch HA and select Tools -> Log File... from the menu, you can get details of the error. PM it to me and I will take a look.

nevertiltever
09-20-2009, 09:15 AM
I've tried it and I find it great. But I've exprerienced problems with Limit:
the stakes drop down menu show more than 30 times "$0.25/0.5 LIM".
If I try to do some statistics with limit it show just few hands, in spite of more than 1500K limit hands in my database.

That's a strange one. What sites are you playing on? PM me and can try and take a look using Skype.

Tom888
09-20-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I saw the word password in the password box and thought it would be ok.

Changed it to postgrespass and it's now working well.

Shloogy
10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey man

The software look very nice and clean, good job.

1. Can I use it to learn things about my game\leak ? what is it's purpose ?

2. Are you going to charge $ for it in the future?.

nevertiltever
10-04-2009, 08:59 PM
The purpose of Hold'em Analytics is to help you understand how your opponents play. Each tab mines information about opponent statistics, hand ranges and actions from your HEM database.

For example, say you're in a hand where EP limps, you raise from the button, and EP re-raises. What hands is EP most likely to limp-re-raise with? Using the Pre-Flop Ranges tab, you can quickly find out (AA or KK by a good margin in my database).

Another example... say you have some history on a player. On the Post-flop Ranges tab, enter their alias in the "Include Only" box and click the Query button. Now, all the action graphs are for that one player. If their betting patterns are exploitable, it should stand out on the histograms.

Shortly, I will be adding a new feature allowing you to estimate the equity of your hand against an opponent's range. I think this will be very useful for post-session analysis.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out the screen cast in the blog section of www.holdemanalytics.com: http://www.holdemanalytics.com/?p=74.

Eventually, I do plan to charge $ for it. But there are still several features I want to implement before that.

Chrismir
10-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm in Vista and am getting an error message after install when i launch HA.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6181/holdemanalyticserror.jpg

[...]:
The value can not be attributed to property 'source' object [...]. Could not load type from [...] to [...]. Failure to object [...] in the markup file [...]. Failure to object [...]

nevertiltever
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
It looks like you need to install the .NET Framework 3.5. Can you try that and let me know if it still crashes?

Chrismir
10-06-2009, 07:46 PM
same problem after install framework 3.5 and remove/reinstall HA

nevertiltever
10-13-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm looking into this issue... will PM you when I have something.

JPFisher55
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I like this program. However, IMO it needs to display overall averages for VP$P, PFR, 3 bet and aggression factors. Thus, you can compare players of different time periods.

nevertiltever
10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
Not sure I understand exactly what information you want to get at. Do you want to see when "fishier" players are playing by time of day and day of week?

JPFisher55
10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Not sure I understand exactly what information you want to get at. Do you want to see when "fishier" players are playing by time of day and day of week?

No, I want to see if these averages change from month to month and year to year. So far based on my hand histories these averages seem to be about the same for 2009 as for 2008. Thus, I do not believe the theory of the disappearing recreational player. However, having the actual average VP$P, PFR, 3 Bet and aggression factors would help compare players of different time periods.

nevertiltever
10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok, I get it. That would be really interesting. I'll look into adding a stats over time view.

JPFisher55
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok, I get it. That would be really interesting. I'll look into adding a stats over time view.

Your program already has a filter for date periods. All you need is a display of the averages for all players for all the statistics in player statistics.

justafish
11-14-2009, 11:22 PM
sorry for posting. it is working now. :-)

prettypitty
11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Hi,

very usefull programm. You have make a nice Tool. :)

Shloogy
11-26-2009, 03:39 PM
+1

Now just have to figure out how to make the most of it

Rvg72
12-08-2009, 11:10 PM
To everyone who was following the thread on this great software, Holdem Analytics is now incorpotated into the 1.10 version of Holdem Manager as "Hold'em Vision". It has come a long way since the initial releases here and we're very happy to provide to to our customers. Also, a PRO version with some amazing functionality is currently being worked on and will be launched later

Roy