PDA

View Full Version : FTP Hand Import problem

M3ikl
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Hello,

after trying HEM out a few months ago I finally bought the pro version today.
Meanwhile I collected about 300 HandHistory files with a size of about 25 MB.
The manual and auto import worked well while the trial period, but sometimes HEM didn't want to import files. The import process just stopped and I had to restart HEM.
Now with the 300 new files the import doesn't want to work. First I tried to import the whole ftp\handhistory\user folder, but after 3 files HEM stopped importing (speed was about 50 hands/s till it stopped).
I restarted HEM and tried again, but no difference. In the task manager the task of hmimport.exe is still running after closing HEM, so I stop the process in the task manager before starting HEM again.
Details of the HandHistory files:
The files consist of Cash Games, SNGs and Tourneys. The Cash Game files seem to work best.

What I tried:
1. Copying HandHistory files to another location and importing from the new folder - didn't work
2. Selecting only a few files (5-10) from the folder on the new location - sometimes works, but importing stops before all files are imported
3. Selecting only one file fromt the folder on the new location - file gets imported (cash game), but after the import seems to be done the import progress bar is still visible and the stop import button is available.
Following information can be seen in the import window:
Files Imported: 1 of 1
Estimated Time Remaining: less then 1 Minute
Hands Imoprted: 21
Hands/s: 19.2/s
Duplicate Hands: 0
Import Errors: 0

So is the file imported or not?
hmimport.exe is still running, with 0 CPU load and about 20 MB of memory.

And why can't I import the other files?
When I select single files from a SNG HEM tells me there are 0 files to import.

4. I created a new database - no difference
5. I installed the latest beta update (1.09 beta 28) and tried all of the import functions from 1-3 with this version - no difference

I don't know what I can do to get those hands working.

Information of my system:
Individual system with CPU Intel C2D E6750 and 4 GB RAM, OS Win XP Pro SP3

I hope you can help me with the issue to get my hands imported.
Thanks in advance.

Regards, M3ikl

fozzy71
08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Following information can be seen in the import window:
Files Imported: 1 of 1
Estimated Time Remaining: less then 1 Minute
Hands Imoprted: 21
Hands/s: 19.2/s
Duplicate Hands: 0
Import Errors: 0

So is the file imported or not?

That means it imported 1 file and 21 hands.

And why can't I import the other files?
When I select single files from a SNG HEM tells me there are 0 files to import.

Probably because you tried importing them with an old version of HM and now HM thinks they are duplicates.

4. I created a new database - no difference

Did you do this before or after updating to beta 28?

If you did this before you updated, please try it again.

5. I installed the latest beta update (1.09 beta 28) and tried all of the import functions from 1-3 with this version - no difference

I guess that answers my previous question, but I find this to be odd. There is a chance something is wrong with your PostgreSQL DB.

Please www.7zip.org the hands and email them to me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread.

If they import for me we can take a look at your machine again, and consider reinstalling postgresql. If they don't import for me, I will forward them on to the developer for a solution.

M3ikl
08-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi fozzy,

thanks for your answer

That means it imported 1 file and 21 hands.

The intention of my question was if the file is imported although there is still a progress bar and the button with stop import available.

Probably because you tried importing them with an old version of HM and now HM thinks they are duplicates.
All files i tried to import were created after the last run of HEM, so they are definitively new to HEM.

Did you do this before or after updating to beta 28?

Both, and both times I got a message that the database is being updated.

There is a chance something is wrong with your PostgreSQL DB.

Please www.7zip.org the hands and email them to me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread.

If they import for me we can take a look at your machine again, and consider reinstalling postgresql. If they don't import for me, I will forward them on to the developer for a solution.

Is it possible that the PostgreSQL DB is damaged although I created a new one? Of course I didn't reinstall PostgreSQL (there were no errors with the application), but I created a whole new DB which showed the same problems.

Here I got some information about my last import tries. Maybe it can also help to find the source of my problem:

In the last four hours I tried to import all files again (Import from Folder option, folder was directly on the root level (i.e. c:\ftphands)). The import progress bar is totally empty and the message box below says "found 286 files to process...", but that's it. There isn't even a Stop import button and the import options aren't greyed out, so HEM didn't do anything but telling me how many files are available for import.
The process of hmimport.exe has 13,5 MB and it seems this value didn't change over the last few hours.

The number of files decreased because before I started the import I tried to imoprt some single files or a bunch of maximum 5 files.
Everytime I pick only a few files, some of them were imported, but most of the import operations stop before the last file is processed.
HEM showed one of the following behaviors when trying to import 1-5 files:

1. HEM didn't recognize anything. The Stop import button can be seen less then a second and HEM seems to ignore my intention to import a file. Nothing happens. If this happens, every try to import files will be ignored. I have to restart HEM to get a new chance of importing files.

2. HEM tells me there are x files to import, but it doesn't start to import them. I have to close HEM, kill the hmimport.exe process and restart HEM.

3. HEM finds some files to import and even starts to import them to the DB, but it doesn't finish. This could happen with one file, with mulitple files before the last file is processed or with multiple files and the last file is processed. So the progess bar is full and it looks like all hands in all files are imported, but the import process itself isn't finished. There is still a stop import button and when I try to close HEM it tells me that the import process will be stopped if I do so.

4. HEM imports the file and everything is fine. That happened about once in 10-15 times I tried to import the files.

I hope this discription is helpful.

Regards, M3ikl

fozzy71
08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Would you like me to assist you in reinstalling postgresql? Then I can take a look at everything first hand and try to get it back to normal. If so, please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download and install the www.Teamviewer.com Quick Support version.

M3ikl
08-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi fozzy,

I tried to reinstall anything by myself, but the result wasn't very good. HEM stopped importing after 5 of about 300 files.

What I did:
- Deinstalled PostgreSQL and Holdem Manager (deactivated it before) over the Software menu in the Control Panel.
- Deleted the PostgreSQL and the Holdem Manager application folders to ensure the new installation is clean.
- Downloaded and installed PostgreSQL like it is explained in http://www.holdemmanager.net/setup/postgresSql.html (I even switched to english installation although my system runs in german language).
- Installed Holdem Manager and started it
- Created a new HEM Database
- Activated Holdem Manager and closed it
- Installed the latest beta update
- Started HEM and tried to import the HandHistory
- When importing file 5 the import process freezed. Clicking on stop import changes button to "stopping", but this stopping could last for minutes or even hours.

I hope you finally got my HandHistory files to check if there's a problem with them.

Regards, M3ikl

fozzy71
08-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I think the problem is somewhere on your machine or in your installation of HM/SQL.

Hands Imported 9922
Duplicates 1
Errors 4

That's an almost acceptable number of errors, compared to what you were getting.

I don't know what to suggest, other than a proper, clean reinstall of hm and sql.

If you don't want to go thru that process again, I suggest you email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so you can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download and install the www.Teamviewer.com Quick Support version.

If you want to try reinstalling everything again. http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showpost.php?p=70850&postcount=12

M3ikl
08-26-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi fozzy,

I did the clean reinstall as intended in your howto, but HEM still stops importing after a few hands.
It seems most likely that the problem comes from my machine, because you had no problem with importing my hands.
At the moment I'm setting up a virtual machine with VirtualBox to find out if the error still appears in a clean installation.
If it works I want to copy the database from the virtual machine to the normal environment, because my problem only exists when importing History files.
The "on the fly" import while playing works fine, there are no problems.

Thanks for your help.
I will post feedback as soon as I tested importing in the VM.

Regards, M3ikl

M3ikl
08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi,

here's the feedback as i promised.
IT WORKED!
In the VM environment with only Win XP Pro SP2, .NET Framework 2.0, Holdem Manager and PostgreSQL 8.3 the import was successful!
I imported all hands I had. As you can see on the screenshot I got some hands more now, and some duplicates, but the most important thing is: it just worked!
I think finding out which program causes the problem is nearly impossible. I got a lot of software installed on my machine which takes weeks to find the reason for the import problem.
I hope I can import the hands easily with the HEM integrated import/export function.

And thank you very much for your help fozzy!

Edit:
Import on the normal machine still doesn't work.
I'm trying to backup the PostgreSQL DB from the VM where all hands are stored and import it on the machine where the hand import doesn't work.
I hope this works.

Regards, M3ikl

fozzy71
08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi fozzy,

I did the clean reinstall as intended in your howto, but HEM still stops importing after a few hands.

And you are certain you had beta 28 installed?

Hi,

here's the feedback as i promised.
IT WORKED!
In the VM environment with only Win XP Pro SP2, .NET Framework 2.0, Holdem Manager and PostgreSQL 8.3 the import was successful!
I imported all hands I had. As you can see on the screenshot I got some hands more now, and some duplicates, but the most important thing is: it just worked!

I think finding out which program causes the problem is nearly impossible. I got a lot of software installed on my machine which takes weeks to find the reason for the import problem...........

Edit:
Import on the normal machine still doesn't work.
I'm trying to backup the PostgreSQL DB from the VM where all hands are stored and import it on the machine where the hand import doesn't work.
I hope this works.

Regards, M3ikl

If it is that type of conflict, the easiest solution (but still not really any fun), to find the conflict, might be to print off a list of all installed software using CCleaner, reformat, and get windows and .net all updated. Then install HM and the Beta right away, before you start installing all the other miscellaneous software. Each time you install a new application, test HM before you install a new app.

Speaking of which, my PC is way overdue for a reformat, but I cant afford to be down and off line for half a day or more. Guess I will just go buy a new one. :p

M3ikl
08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi fozzy,

I have enough machines to reinstall or fix on the job, and at the moment I'm on vacation and so I will not reinstall now ;)
And it's not just only the list of software. Some applications took some time to run together with other applications. So there are some special configurations which I have to backup. Before reinstall I would also backup the whole system, because the first thing after pressing yes to format the partition is to remember which files you forgot to backup. And at the moment there is no space to put my system partition somewhere else.
I think about using HEM and the FTP Client inside the VM. Probably it's not that bad to have the software isolated from the rest.
But maybe I will reinstall the machine in a few days... or weeks... or... ;)

Latest information:
The PostgreSQL backup and restore worked. I have the same number of players, Hands etc. in the database of the normal machine, so I don't need to hurry with reinstalling everything.

Regards, M3ikl

fozzy71
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Great news.

FWIW, I know of professional players that only play poker in a VM, or else have a dedicated poker desktop that they don't do any thing else on, except poker.

M3ikl
08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi vozzy,

the last few minutes I played around a little with HEM and clicked through the different windows and noticed that it runs by far slower then in the VM. When switching through the different tabs of the tourney menu it freezed when I wanted to change from hands back to results.
It looks like the import problem is only the most apparent symptom of the problems HEM has on my machine.
Of course HEM must be very fast on the VM because it's a fresh and clean installation, but on the other side the performance inside the VM is limited, i.e. it is allowed to use only 512 MB of RAM and still is much faster then on the normal machine.
I think I let the VM like it is, only the most important stuff will be installed (i.e. antivirus) and then it will definetively as stable as it can be :)

Regards, M3ikl