PDA

View Full Version : I want a refund.

ren99
12-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I need a refund.

Here is my whole story.

I bought a new SSD few days ago. I reinstalled my whole operating system. I thought this would be a good time to setup the new HM2.

I installed HM2. Every featured I tried was confirmed bugged. See my previous post:
http://forums.holdemmanager.com/hm2-releases/154201-god-hm2-so-painfully-buggy-2.html

I decided to uninstall HM2 and go back and reinstall HM1.

Some how after uninstalling HM2 i lost about 20GB of my SSD space mysteriously. (postgres + database was all deleted, also see previous post)

After HM1 was installed I put back notecaddy. But was prompted that now I need HM2 to launch notecaddy.

No choice. I reinstalled HM2 with the intention of only using it to launch notecaddy.

Now when I launch HM2, it forces me to create a new database. I click okay, and the whole HM2 freezes. I left it for half an hour. Nothing. (HM1 is working)

I can not even start HM2 anymore.

I have lost 5+ hours on this.

Please dont ask me to send in any log files. There are too many problems with this new HM2. If it is 1 issue, I will be happy to work with you and be understanding. But there are problems with every feature.

This is not a retail product. I am not a beta tester. Its almost fair that I should bill you for the time I spent on this software at my poker winning's hourly. Because you falsely advertised this as a finished working product selling for money.

Please give me a refund immediately. My HM2 key is linked to this forum account.

Thank you!

ronaldst
12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
I am pretty sure refund requests should be emailed to the sales -department.

However, regarding the space issue you're having: Have you checked the HM2 database parent folder? It's normally located in \Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\HoldemManager. For some reason HM2 is making a ridiculous amount of files and folders. I got about 62.000 files and 33.000 folders in this directory.

ren99
12-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Thank you very much for the advice.

Found that folder. It has approx 10GB in it. Why would it be there if HM2 and postgres + database was all uninstalled? It even had a folder called Holdemanager2.

My SSD only had 90GB. Thank god we killed this space hording bug.

N0-L1m1T
12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Thank you very much for the advice.

Found that folder. It has approx 10GB in it. Why would it be there if HM2 and postgres + database was all uninstalled? It even had a folder called Holdemanager2.

My SSD only had 90GB. Thank god we killed this space hording bug.

The windows uninstaller is not efficient and lots of files can and do get left behind. Also, I would urge you never (usually) to install an app like HEM on an SSD, especially in your situation where space is at a premium. What you would be better off doing is running HEM and it's DB from relatively slow disk but make sure you have plenty of RAM to run a large chunk, or even all of the HEM DB cached in RAM (with tuning).

I presume you took this line for peformance reasons. It is RAM that gives DBs performance in the main, not faster disk I/O.

Regards,
Dave

udbrky
12-05-2011, 02:37 AM
The DB in 2.0 takes up 1/2 - 2/3 the space of HM1

We can look at what is going on with your installation and figure this out. But we will need some way to see this. We use logs to get into it and see.

Please PM me to set up a team viewer session to look into what is happening.

Pupp3tMast3r
12-05-2011, 05:16 AM
you have plenty of RAM to run a large chunk, or even all of the HEM DB cached in RAM (with tuning).
I got 12 GB of DDR3 in triple channel. How do I tweak the HEM2 to have the DB cached in RAM?

ren99
12-06-2011, 12:04 AM
I would urge you never (usually) to install an app like HEM on an SSD

I did as you suggested.

I moved my database onto my 500GB SATA hard drive. I have 6GB DDR 3 memory. HM1 and HM2 is still installed on my C: which is SSD.

Now my HH import speed on HM1 is about 15 hands / sec. It used to be 140 hand / sec with database on the ssd.
My HH import speed on HM2 is about 140 hands / sec. It used to be 450 hand / sec with database on the ssd.

Is there something I am missing to improve my hand import speed ?

Bodega
12-06-2011, 03:41 AM
N0-L1m1T advice to move the database to a normal disk instead of a SSD will have a big performance decrease! Especially with imports. Don't do that. The hole point with a SSD is that it reads and writes and seek data faster. Exactly what we wants for our HM database.

His advice to run the database in the RAM make sense. I dont know how to do that also I only have 4gb RAM on my laptop.

SSD + Cache in RAM = Fastest.

Mechanical Harddrive + Cache in RAM. = Slower.

udbrky
12-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Using the SSD will make things go faster.

One thing you need to remember is that you don't want to do a lot of writing and deleting on an SSD, so information that you'll do that with should be on a second drive.

I cannot answer the question about the caching in RAM. I will pass this along to get more information.

Patvs
12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I would urge you never (usually) to install an app like HEM on an SSD, especially in your situation where space is at a premium. What you would be better off doing is running HEM and it's DB from relatively slow disk but make sure you have plenty of RAM to run a large chunk

Do install Windows + PostgreSQL (and its database) on the SSD.
For one main reason: the SSD has much faster 4k read speeds (reading small files).
When you're importing handhistories, running a report, or want to see a graph, a regular harddisk will be much slower to retrieve the info.

To retrieve your "missing 20 GB" (you already got back 10 GB?), read: http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/157761-reducing-size-database.html

N0-L1m1T;785441 is right about the fact, HM2 (unlike HM1) is able to utilize your RAM. If you have 12 GB of RAM, HM2 will automatically cache a large chunk of the database in your available RAM. At the moment we don't allow you to specify (in a .config file) how much (max number of GB, or max #percentage of amount of RAM) HM2 will use. We're still tweaking the performance on this issue, and likely will enable you to specify this amount in a future update.

Again, since this caching will have NO EFFECT on your import speeds, if you have an SSD, do install the database on it. If you don't have a SSD and have a "large" database, seriously consider buying one!

One thing you need to remember is that you don't want to do a lot of writing and deleting on an SSD, so information that you'll do that with should be on a second drive.

Actually you don't have to worry about this, unless you have a 20 GB SSD (or a first-generation SSD). With a new (latest third+ generation) 60+ GB SSD, even if you generate 20 GB of read/writes a DAY, its life-span will still be 20+ years.

melles
12-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Good information Patvs.

At the moment we don't allow you to specify (in a .config file) how much (max number of GB, or max #percentage of amount of RAM) HM2 will use. We're still tweaking the performance on this issue, and likely will enable you to specify this amount in a future update.

I have 12GB of RAM.
There is a PostgreSQL Tuning option under DB Maintenance.
Is that working?
If something happens when you do it is there someway do go back to your previous settings?

Patvs
12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
If you manually install PostgreSQL (with the installer from PostgreSQL: Welcome (http://www.postgresql.org)), don't use the Stack Builder at the end of the installation (which is a Tuning Wizard).

Either use the PostgreSQL Tuning option or -even better- just manually edit postgresql.config

Edit your PostgreSQL.conf file in the SQL 8.x/data folder.
Do not use the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make changes to the postgresql.conf it shouldn't, resulting in being unable to connect to the database!
If you experience this problem--> simply go to the 8.4/data folder, undo the changes that were made and reboot.
Recommended changes:
shared_buffers = MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1024 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 1024 MB)
effective_cache_size = MB (set this to 2x the size of the shared_buffers)
And reboot.

melles
12-08-2011, 03:42 PM
If you manually install PostgreSQL (with the installer from PostgreSQL: Welcome), don't use the Stack Builder at the end of the installation (which is a Tuning Wizard).

Either use the PostgreSQL Tuning option or -even better- just manually edit postgresql.config

Edit your PostgreSQL.conf file in the SQL 8.x/data folder.
Do not use the Tuning Wizard. On some systems it will make changes to the postgresql.conf it shouldn't, resulting in being unable to connect to the database!
If you experience this problem--> simply go to the 8.4/data folder, undo the changes that were made and reboot.
Recommended changes:
shared_buffers = MB (set this to 20% of your system memory, but not more than 1024 MB.... round it off to 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB or 1024 MB)
effective_cache_size = MB (set this to 2x the size of the shared_buffers)
And reboot.

Thanks for the information.
I will buy one more SSD and install Postgre on that when tablemanager get released so I can skip HM1.
I have installed Postgre seperate on a 10k rpm disk now.

Do HM2 support Postgre 9.1.2-1? Think I saw a post of someone having trouble making a restore on the 9 version.
Or what version do you recommend installing?

ren99
12-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Here are some updates.

1) I had a team viewer session with HM Support. We were able to fix street by street HUD. It turns out that the field "any" really means "none" or "preflop". So setting street to "any" will do nothing for your flop, turn, river HUD.

2) Downloaded the newest HM2 update. Played for about 1 hour with 24 tables yesterday with HM2 and street by street HUD up. No performance / lag issue what so ever.

3) I received very prompt and professional support from HM2 team. I was offered a refund as well. Which I will not take now as if this program works, it is definitely worth the money.

4) I moved my database back to my C drive with SSD. import speed is awsome. Got rid of all space that was mysteriously taken up.

However this is not to say that this software is yet in retail status. I still feel that there are too many problems still. I say with the new patch, it has came out of alpha state and now in beta state. Where all of us paying customers are debugging for HM.

New problems.

1) I fed in a 10 million HH to Hm2 to let it import. Left it over night. When I woke up this morning. It says "import is complete". However only about 5million hand is imported. Biggest problem is HM2 was frozen. Along with my Skype, and firefox! I tried to close off HM2 from task manager. Wont let me. Tried to turn off the computer. It got stuck on the "logging off" screen. I waited 2 min. nothing. I manually shut off the computer. Came back, upon launching HM2, it took about 3 minutes where everything is frozen. (including stars table, lobby, firefox, skype). Some time later, it had another crash.

2) HM2's notecaddy is now trying to create notes for the 5 million hands. It says it is creating 200k out of 9 million notes. I have never touched note caddy settings. It is going at a speed that is so slow. I think this will take days.

3) Notecaddy auto color is deleting my manually entered notes. This alone makes notecaddy unuseable. I emailed support. They confirmed this is a bug and working on it. IMO, they should shut off notecaddy immediately with this bug.

4) Notecaddy deletes "modified date" field in your stars notes. Emailed support, again confirmed bug.

5) Street by street hud relies on the chat button on table to be displayed. But every time I manually color code someone, this is switched to the "notes" tab. Very inconvenient.

6) In the home tab. When I switch from my hero name to another person I want to look up. It freezes everything. (HM2, Stars table) It says "not responding" in task manager. This lasts about 30 seconds.

Patvs
12-08-2011, 04:15 PM
@melles
8.4 (32 bit) installed to C:/Program Files(x86)/PostgreSQL is the default version we use.
When it's installed to a non-default folder/drive, or when you're using 9.0/9.1 (which can also be used) you'll manually need to backup/restore the database in pgadminIII, and use pgadminIII to perform maintenance on the database.
(so the internal backup/optimize features in HM1/HM2 may not work)

I use 9.1.2-1 since, since it's 64 bit. And it has some improvements over 8.4. For example running a vacuum/analyse/reindex on the database in pgadminIII is a lot faster. Having said that, we're currently investigating if SQL 9.0/9.1 can be the cause of some of the HM2 problems users have been experiencing.
(so far, in testing this, we haven't been able to duplicate their issues with 9.0/9.1)

Also 9.1 has 100 improvements over 9.0 which has 100 improvements over 8.4, but it's unclear if HoldemManager and the database structure HoldemManager uses can actually use any of those 'improvements'. It certainly doesn't improve import speeds. 9.1 may improve overall stability but even that hasn't been proven. 8.4/9.0/9.1 also just don't run for 2-5% of HoldemManager users. Where 8.2/8.3 do.

sreticentv
12-08-2011, 06:30 PM
2) HM2's notecaddy is now trying to create notes for the 5 million hands. It says it is creating 200k out of 9 million notes. I have never touched note caddy settings. It is going at a speed that is so slow. I think this will take days.

You can adjust the speed at which NC processes but it is set to super slow by default to minimize risk of performance impacts.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/notecaddy/147941-just-getting-started-notecaddy-read-first.html

3) Notecaddy auto color is deleting my manually entered notes. This alone makes notecaddy unuseable. I emailed support. They confirmed this is a bug and working on it. IMO, they should shut off notecaddy immediately with this bug.

This was not confirmed. Reported does not equal confirmed. I just found your email and will look at it right away.

4) Notecaddy deletes "modified date" field in your stars notes. Emailed support, again confirmed bug.

again, as far as I know this was not confirmed. NC intentionally changes some dates so it knows it modified the color. This has been like that for some months and nobody has ever complained about it.

ren99
12-13-2011, 02:22 AM
I have been in touch with notecaddy support by email. But right now, notecaddy freezes up HM when I run it. I have decided to just give up NC for a while. I will check back after a few months.