PDA

View Full Version : Vista/HEM not working together; I've tried many things

SomethingClever
08-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey, I'm the same SC from 2+2. I bought a new computer with Vista and imported a large database, everything seemed to be fine.

But then when I rebooted, I couldn't connect to postgreSQL.

I have tried everything in these walkthroughs:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=34

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=171

http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8261

By following the steps in the third link I am able to reinstall postgreSQL and import hands, but if I reboot I just get the same old error again.

This issue is keeping me from playing. I need help.

Thanks in advance.

SC

netsrak
08-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Normally this is a firewall issue which prevents postgresql from being started. You need to configure extensions for postgresql and holdemmanager.

If you can't work it out please schedule a remote support session with our support manager. Email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so he can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session.

Josey Wales
08-17-2009, 11:40 AM
check first if postgres is actually running (right click task bar, task manager). if it ain't, click on start then type in the run box services. find postgres in the list of services and check if it's set to start automatic.

this fixed it for me.

SomethingClever
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
check first if postgres is actually running (right click task bar, task manager). if it ain't, click on start then type in the run box services. find postgres in the list of services and check if it's set to start automatic.

this fixed it for me.

I've tried this. Sometimes it says that it's "starting," other times it doesn't appear to be running. Either way, it doesn't start when I attempt to start it. I get a progress bar that eventually just times out.

SomethingClever
08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Normally this is a firewall issue which prevents postgresql from being started. You need to configure extensions for postgresql and holdemmanager.

I've tried it with the firewall on and off, same with windows defender. UAC is turned off. I have also added the HEM, HUD and postgre .exe files to the exception list of the firewall and defender as outlined in one of those walkthroughs I've posted.

I think I probably need further help. I'll email the thread this morning.

fozzy71
08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
I've tried it with the firewall on and off, same with windows defender. UAC is turned off. I have also added the HEM, HUD and postgre .exe files to the exception list of the firewall and defender as outlined in one of those walkthroughs I've posted.

I think I probably need further help. I'll email the thread this morning.

Please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download and install the www.Teamviewer.com Quick Support version.

SomethingClever
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Please email me at fozzy@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so we can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download and install the www.Teamviewer.com Quick Support version.

Email sent. Teamviewer installed.

fozzy71
08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
I will be in contact in a couple of hours. I just got done with a long session on the forums, and haven't even had breakfast yet. :(

I also need to find out what the teamviewer schedule looks like this afternoon and evening, so i know what time range we can plan for.

If you haven't heard from in a few hours, don't hesitate to send me a reminder.

SomethingClever
08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I think I got this figured out. I had adjusted the shared buffer value in the .conf file, and then I believe it was somehow readjusted last night because the number was way out of whack.

I did some googling and wound up in windows event viewer, where I found another error code to google. This led me to try adjusting the shared buffer value downward, which allowed postgreSQL to start!

I have rebooted a couple times and it still seems to be working. However, I'm having a crazy connectivity problem with gmail and yahoo simultaneously, so I'm not able to reply to the gmail thread we had going (me, fozzy and fabio).

So I hope you guys see this here. I think my problem is solved. Thanks for your help.

fozzy71
08-19-2009, 05:13 AM
Good news. You may want to make a copy of your current .conf file, as it is, then try to use the Application Stack Builder and the Enterprise Tuning Wizard. It should adjust the settings in the .conf file optimally for your machines specs.

1)Go to Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 and look for Application Stack Builder.

Steps 2 - 7 are obsolete and unnecessary.

8) At the end of the installation, launch the Application Stack Builder.
9) Select your PostgreSQL Database Server and click Next.
10) Expand AddOns and select EnterpriseDB Tuning Wizard.
11) Download the tuning wizard by selecting your country and continuing.
12) Continue through the end of installation and launch the EnterpriseDB Tuning Wizard.
13) Select your PostgreSQL Database server and click Next.
14) Under Server Utilization, select Mixed and click Next.
15) Continue through the installation of the tuning wizard.

PostgreSQL memory usage has now been configured specifically for your computer's specifications and performance should be improved.