PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Size of Database

choostock
12-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I am having problems as my Holdem Manager Database is too big. I have tried some of the things I have seen here to reduce it, though there are a couple more still to go.
The reason I am creating this thread is because I think my database is way too big (I wasn't expecting it to fill up my drive) and I was hoping someone might be bale to spot something I had missed.
I have not been having any problems with the speed of Holdem Manager.

I am using a 111 GB SSD drive which only has Holdem Manager and PostgreSQL 8.2 on it. I have only 8GB free, and I didn't have even this until I have been purging hands, deleting Log files and vacuuming/reindexing the database.
I do datamine hands but I don't think the amount of hands (only about 3 months worth) should be enough to fill my drive.
I have tried using the Backup feature within Holdem Manager (from the File menu within Holdem Manager as explained in a recent HEM video) but got the message 'Could not find PostgreSQL installation directory'.

What are the obvious steps I am missing?
Does it sound like there is a problem?

olliepower
12-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Hi, I am querying another mod about the issue.

Ollie

olliepower
12-03-2011, 12:47 AM
In the mean while can you let us know exactly how many hands are in your DB? Your hands + mined hands.

Patvs
12-03-2011, 05:49 AM
111 GB SSD - 8 GB free = a 103 GB database = 9 million hands.

If you only have a 2 million (for example) hand database, where did the "missing" 70 GB go:
-log files, delete all the files in the pg_log folder
-do you only have 1 database, or do you have other old databases? Delete them in pgadminIII.
-Suppose you have a 20 GB database and perform a purge, backup/restore, or a vacuum/analyse/reindex, PostgreSQL needs 20 GB of free disk space to perform the task (it needs the size of the database!). If you don't have enough free space, or you cancel the task before it's finished, you won't get the disk space back. (sometimes you get some of it back if you reboot) So 3x (three unfinished tasks) 15 GB = 45 GB is can easily disappear.-->
-Solution: those files have to be somewhere in a temp folder and you can delete all of them:
Check the /Users/%yourusername%/appdata/Local/TEMP (what's the size of this folder???)
-Also check the Program Files/RVG Software/HoldemManager/Importing folder

Other solution would be, to export your notes, export the HUD. Format the harddisk.
Create a new database. Reimport the original handhistories. Never purge any hands, or perform any task when you have less than 50 GB free diskspace.

denetomtom
12-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks Patvs, using your methods I have just reclaimed over 25GB and I think its when Ive been vacumming the DB and for some reason it didnt complete, which I know for sure has happened twice.

Should make this a sticky Im sure others have same problem.

Thanks again

Patvs
12-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Also read: Freeing Up Capacity On An SSD With NTFS Compression : More SSD Capacity Through NTFS Compression (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ntfs-compression,3073.html)

choostock
12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all of this.
I decided just to reformat the disk and reimport my hh's.
There were times when I cancelled a purge or it didn't work, so I think I must have lost space this way, though I didn't find the stuff.
Will bear this all in mind when I start to fill the drive again, thanks.