PDA

View Full Version : another cant connect to postgreSQL

noobtank1
12-01-2011, 06:24 PM
hi ive just downloaded hem at last ive done the free trial for now but it keeps comming up cant connect to postgreSQL ive looked throo a lot off the other threads started about this problem but to no avail a fewe off the things ive tried are uninstalling all my spyware etc and reinstaling postgre numerous times ... any help would be gratefull thanks

Patvs
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Turn on the secondary Logon. The secondary logon service is a standard windows service which is available on every windows computer. In the latest versions it is not started automatically. You need to start it via control panel > administrative tools > services. Starting it once should insure it works in the future also.

Install 8.2: http://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/binary/v8.2.22/win32/postgresql-8.2.22-1.zip to port 5433
and connect to that instead

Patvs
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Install guide: http://faq.holdemmanager.com/questions/70/ReinstallPostgreSQL

noobtank1
12-02-2011, 10:24 AM
ty for the speedy reply i tried the adminastrivew tools thn services ..but i couldnt find postgre so i downloaded the link u posted installed it but it still doesnt work thn i went back to adm tools and i could find postgre this time it said it was on automatic and started ive tried pausing it stopping it starting again etc too no avail is there anything else i can try thanks ....also it is windows xp iam using if tht makes a diff

Patvs
12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Is the secondary logon service running?

Which Operating System, Firewall, and Anti-Virus are you using?

For W7 and Vista you must set \holdem manager\dbcontrolpanel.exe, holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe** are started as administrator. Run the windows explorer and navigate to your Holdemmanager installation directory. Right click the executables and select properties... then select "Run as admin" from the compatibility tab.

Add exceptions to the windows firewall for holdemmanager.exe and hmhud.exe**, even if the firewall is turned off. If you have a 3rd party firewall, do the equivalent or uninstall it temporarily.

(!) **do the same for PostgeSQL/8.x/bin/pg_ctl.exe and postgres.exe

Run a manual Windows Update and install ALL updates.
Make sure XP is updated to Service Pack 3, and all .net framework and visual c++ updates are installed.

noobtank1
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
iam using xp with standerd windows firewall which has been turned off the whole time ive tried this and i did have norton anti virus but ive uninstalled it ...yeah iam pretty sure it is running went to admin /services and it says started ....not sure what iam doing wrong here i have basic comp skills .. my comp also updates automatically all upgrades ill check and see if i have all these now thanks for your help

noobtank1
12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
just done a manual upgarde and iam pretty sure i have everything listed

olliepower
12-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Did the manual upgrade fix your problem? Is anything different when you try to connect are are you getting exactly the same error?

noobtank1
12-03-2011, 11:08 AM
hi no it never sadly i did try deleting the postgre download and reinstalling it but i forgot too save the password postgre gave me are thy any way to retrive this or byepass having to giv it to install this again ...thanks

noobtank1
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
hi i think i have cracked it now .no it is saying error wrong password or user ...will this be my email and password i registered with hem ? sorry for this but iam a total noob when it comes to computer ..thanks guys :)

RDB
12-03-2011, 03:35 PM
The login details for PostgreSQL have nothing to do with anything you have registered with HM. Default settings for PostgreSQL are;

Login Name - postgres
Password - postgrespass

If PostgreSQL is not accepting this password try this;

1) Go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\data, move the pg_hba file to your Desktop and open it with notepad.
2) Scroll to the bottom and change all md5 to trust. Save and close the file.
3) Move the file back to the data folder.
4) Restart the PostgreSQL service: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services

HM will accept any password now.

noobtank1
12-03-2011, 04:02 PM
okey thanks how do i get to this 1) Go to C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.x\data

thanks

RDB
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
There is more than one way to do this. For example you can use Windows Explorer in XP to navigate through the folders on your PC.

Win XP Tutorial Part 4 - Windows Explorer, using windows explorer/my computer (http://www.helpwithpcs.com/courses/windows-xp-tutorial-explorer.htm)

noobtank1
12-03-2011, 06:16 PM
thank you m8 i followed the instructions i looked in every file and every folder and all i could see was a folder with postgreSQL wich i could open up but had nothing i could click or unclick to set md5 to trust tho there is a file pg_log and it shows all my failed log attempts if tht is anything to do with it ...thanks again and i really appraciate this even if i do sound like a noob :p thanks :)

RDB
12-03-2011, 06:40 PM
PM sent.

Patvs
12-03-2011, 07:16 PM
click on Start and go to Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

* If you are on Vista, rightclick and choose "Run as Administrator".

A black box should appear. Type 'net user postgres /delete' (without the quotes) and press enter.

The user is now deleted and you can (re)install PostgreSQL.

And it will accept any password you pick.

noobtank1
12-03-2011, 09:45 PM
guys thanks a lot for your help very helpul and speedy replys think ill take up the offer off teamveiwer before i muck it upore lol ...thanks :)