PDA

View Full Version : Laggy

Lunatic973
08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Holdem manager has been getting a little more laggy as I play more hands. Right now I only have 70,000 hands imported but about every 3 or 4 hands per table, the software slows the computer down so much it won't let me do anything. At first it was no big deal, the timer ran down a little and then it came back. Now it's taking so long that by the time I can click anything again, it's already timed out on the table. I'm only playing 5 tables at a time, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I've done everything in the post of Top 10: HEM performance increase tips, with the exception of postgreSQL tuning (because it says "advanced" which I am not.) The other thing I haven't done is the dump/restore database.

If those two are the most important, can anyone give me some advice on how to accomplish those with me not being an "advanced" computer user? I've searched and read the instructions and it doesn't seem to complicated, but I've seen people on here complaining it didn't work for them.

Right now I'm running on a laptop and it shows i'm using 17.3GB of space and have 68.9GB of free space.

Any advice would be helpful. I can't even play now because every 3-4 hands per table it just freezes and I end up timing out on a couple tables before it comes back.

When I tried to do a vacuum it requested that I do a manual one, could this have anything to do with it? I did a manual one and thought it would help, but it has not.

BTW, I know on PT3 they had an option for how often you wanted it to update the HUD stats, is there an option for that in HEM, and could it make a difference if I set to update less frequently?

fozzy71
08-14-2009, 11:41 PM
http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?p=69196

I would suggest you do the majority of the things in this thread: http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11194

Some of the most important things, imo:

- Turning off logging and deleting existing logs
- Vacuum/Full/Analyze, then Reindex
- SQL Tuning Wizard
- Defrag last and make sure you stop the postgresql service before you defrag. I personally use Defraggler.
- Do a Cold Boot (Shut Down > Start) before you use HM again

Awesome fozzy, ty. HEM is running better than ever!

- Turning off logging and deleting existing logs

To turn off logging, follow these instructions. This is the first thing I do anytime I install SQL for someone.

- Start > My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > UnCheck 'Hide Extensions for known file types' > OK

- C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\data\postgresql.conf > Right-Click > Open With.. > NotePad > Check 'Always use this program'

- Scroll about half way down to ~Lines 245 - 260:

- The last line of this block of code, for the 'logging_collector', must be changed from On to Off.

PHP Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ERROR REPORTING AND LOGGING
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# - Where to Log -

log_destination = 'stderr' # Valid values are combinations of
# stderr, csvlog, syslog and eventlog,
# depending on platform. csvlog
# requires logging_collector to be on.

# This is used when logging to stderr:
logging_collector = off # Enable capturing of stderr and csvlog
File > Save; File > Close

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 > Reload Configuration.

- Vacuum/Full/Analyze, then Reindex

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163

Follow the instructions once to do th Full/Vacuum/Analyze. Then do it again, and choose Reindex.

- SQL Tuning Wizard

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=172

- Defrag last and make sure you stop the postgresql service before you defrag.

Start > Programs > Postgresql > 8.3 > Stop Service

Defrag - http://www.defraggler.com/

Reboot

If you need to connect to SQL before you reboot:

Start > Programs > Postgresql > 8.3 > Start Service

Those basic steps are my monthly ritual, other than the tuning/logging. Once those are done, you shouldnt need to do that again, unless you reinstall SQL.

Lunatic973
08-14-2009, 11:46 PM
I've done everything on there except the tune up wizard. It just said it was "advanced" so I stayed away. Do you see anything "advanced" about doing it, or is it pretty simple?

fozzy71
08-15-2009, 12:03 AM
It is pretty much point and click. I have done it multiple times for myslef, and many more times for customers when helping with SQL connection/installation issues.

Lunatic973
08-15-2009, 12:11 AM
1) Go to Start > Programs > PostgreSQL 8.3 and look for Application Stack Builder. If listed, please jump to step 8.

I don't have the application stack builder, so now I have uninstall the program? If so is there any key things that I need to back up so I don't lose my hand histories? I already have all of my HH's backed up to cd, so if the HH's are the only thing I need, I'll get started on it.

Thanks for your help!

Lunatic973
08-15-2009, 01:09 AM
Great, now I'm stuck in the hell of all these other users on here. Is there anyway to get this back and functioning properly? Now that I've installed 8.4 beta2, it won't let me connect. I wish I wouldn't of listened to all those people that said this software was better than PT3. I never had any problems like this with that software.

netsrak
08-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Why did you install Postgresql 8.4 Beta 2 when you had a running Postgresql 8.3 installation. The only thing to install would have been the application stack builder not a new postgresql version

I think the best is if we schedule a remote session to get your system running again: Please schedule a remote support session with our support manager. Email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread and your forum name, so he can setup a Teamviewer (http://www.teamviewer.com) session.

Lunatic973
08-15-2009, 04:44 PM
According to #2 on your FAQ #172

2) Uninstall PostgreSQL via the Windows control panel (your data will be preserved, Windows Vista users only). Make sure that User Account Control is disabled.

Therefore, I uninstalled it.

If you don't need to uninstall it, maybe we should update the FAQ to include the correct information.

I was able to get HEM up and running very late last night/this morning. I think the reason it wouldn't let me connect was because in that same FAQ it tells you to "stop the service", and after installing I assumed it would connect on its own. Once I clicked on "start service" it was up and running. I haven't had a chance to play yet because I was still importing my hands last night, so I don't know if it improved the lagging.

It seems like a lot of people are struggling with the same things, maybe an edit/update to the FAQ posts would be more helpful, and cause less frustrating posts like my last one above. (Feel free to remove) I mean even in your post above you can't figure out why I would remove the software, but on your website, the FAQ tells users to remove it. Could be something to look into.

netsrak
08-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the info about the FAQ. I haven't seen it before and i personally think this is wrong.

But it still doesn't tell you to install Postgresql 8.4 Beta 2, its all about Postgresql 8.3.

Anyway, glad you get it running again. Please come back if you need further help.