PDA

View Full Version : best laptop with 1920x1200 res

dan233
11-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi
I m often on the move and I have to play on a laptop most of the time.
I like "tiling" my table. A 1920x 1200 resolution is best for that.
Only macintosh produces laptops with this resolution.
Does HEM work on macs?
regards,

Veteran68
11-29-2011, 08:57 PM
HEM would only work on a Mac via Windows VM or Boot Camp dual-boot into Windows.

You've hit upon a huge gripe of mine. I'm a resolution nit, and run triple 1920x1200 monitors on my main desktop. There used to be a lot of WUXGA+ (1920x1200) laptops running Windows. Now everything has gone 16:9 aspect and 1920x1080 at most. I still have and love my VAIO Core 2 Duo laptop that runs 1920x1200, but one day it'll be too weak to keep up and I'll be forced to downsize resolution. I get a new Dell laptop at work every 3 years, and every one for the past dozen years or so has been 1920x1200 even with a 15" screen. But the next one that I'll get any day now will be 1920x1080, because they don't make 'em anymore. :( To make matters worse, now a lot of 17"+ laptops come with retarded resolutions like 1440x900 or something! On a screen that big, that should be a crime.

With the advent of 1080p HD I guess it's just cheaper for LCD panel manufacturers to all build to the same universal 16:9 aspect and to hell with the rest of us. I expect if/when we do find them, they'll be hugely expensive (like a Macbook) and you won't have much choice in other features. I have a Mac desktop and don't do much with it, but things like this get me thinking I'll give them more love if they keep supporting my beloved 1920x1200...

dan233
11-29-2011, 09:44 PM
HEM would only work on a Mac via Windows VM or Boot Camp dual-boot into Windows.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Could there be bugs (or other minor problems) while using HEM +poker clients on a mac via Windows VM like you describe?
Have you tried it?

I m thinking of another possibility:
Getting a screenless laptop and purchase the 1920x1200 LCD seperately.
Made a quick search on the net:
ASUS Eee Keyboard woos the crowds at CeBIT '09 - Systems - News - HEXUS.net (http://hexus.net/tech/news/systems/17461-asus-eee-keyboard-woos-crowds-cebit-09/)
(this one doesnt support the 1920x1200 res but maybe there are some that do)
(Or just buy a laptop with a broken LCD and get the broken LCD removed) and use an external LCD instead.
I could make the whole thing portable with an appropriate case.
Maybe something like this?:
ilugger.com (http://www.ilugger.com/)

Veteran68
11-29-2011, 10:20 PM
HEM will not run natively (nor be supported) on a Mac, period. Mac software and PC software are not compatible unless written in a cross-platform language like Java. HEM is written in .NET which is primarily a Microsoft platform -- while there are some cross-platform implementations (like Mono) of core .NET that run on Linux and OS X, they barely work IMO and besides HEM is written specifically for Windows and uses a bunch of 3rd party libraries that are written for Windows.

The Asus keyboard you mention is a non-starter. It runs a 1.6Ghz Atom netbook CPU, which will barely run one table of a poker client, much less a tracker+PostgreSQL and anything else. It's a novelty or niche item, really. I have a netbook that I've used for casual poker when I'm too mobile for a real laptop, and haven't even considered trying to run a tracker. It's painful to play, I'm telling you.

If you want to use an external LCD there's no reason to get a laptop with a broken screen. All laptops have external display connections that will support an external 1920x1200 display. You're still going to have the problem of finding 1920x1200 external displays, though, for the same reason I posted above -- they're drying up fast, though not as fast as laptops. You can still find them if you look around and are willing to spend the money. You can even go much higher than that resolution if you buy like a 30"+ display. Very pricey, however, and you'll need a dual-link DVI display adapter to drive it, which most laptops and stock desktops won't have.

dan233
11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Here s the LCD I have. It s 27.5". Cheap too: about 300 dollars. Plenty of these around still (even smaller sizes if I remember correctly).:)
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=654&Itemid=68
I m already using it at home with my laptop through VGA with 1920x1200 res supported.

I d rather get the laptop screen removed as it would be in the way.

Veteran68
11-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Sure, 27+" monitors are much easier to find at that resolution. 25" and below are not. My point was that several years ago, WUXGA+ panels of all sizes were plentiful, including laptops, but not anymore.

Removing a laptop's screen is crazy. Not only that, but would require hacking to make work -- no laptop BIOS is going to even POST if the screen connection is physically missing.

There seems to be some incongruity with your obsession of finding a laptop (i.e. a mobile device) that will work with a 27+" monitor (i.e. not at all mobile). If you're that concerned about it and are going to be using an external monitor anyway, why not buy/build a micro-desktop? Some of them can be smaller/lighter than a laptop chassis. You plug in your power/mouse/keyboard/monitor and go.

You're looking for a solution in search of a problem, if you ask me. :)

EDIT: Back to your question about running HEM on Mac, they will apparently start development on HM2 for Mac once HM2 on Windows has settled a bit. Don't expect it anytime soon, or HM1 on Mac.

http://forums.holdemmanager.com/manager-general/4858-mac-compatible-hem.html#post776501

dan233
11-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Ok thanks. A micro desktop seems like a fine idea. You have links to give me an idea?
I wasnt going to haul a 27" lcd around though, I was just saying that s what I was using at home.

Veteran68
11-30-2011, 08:26 PM
There's a ton of small form factor desktop options, but here's an example a barebones kit that you can add CPU/RAM/HDD and you're set. Takes an Intel Core 2 Duo. 6.5" x 6.5" x 2", about the size of a Mac Mini.

Newegg.com - AOpen MP45-D (91.MB401.BAW0) Intel Socket P Intel GM45 2 x 200Pin SO-DIMM Intel GMA X4500MHD Black Barebone System (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856140050)

There are a number of others even smaller, running newer dual-core Atom processors and look about like a common wireless router, but I'd still hesitate to expect much from such a processor if you're going to run HEM and a database and attempt to multi-table (presumably why you want a big resolution).

dan233
12-01-2011, 08:32 AM
HI
Thanks
what about the graphic card in that PC? Intel GMA X4500MHD?
I m sure its ok for HEM, what about the 1920x1200 res?

Veteran68
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes, virtually any graphics controller these days will run a 2D desktop of 1920x1200, and beyond even. The 4500HD controller should max out at 2048x1536 like most all modern single-link controllers.

But by the time you buy that, add the necessary components, you'll have spent almost as much as on a self-contained laptop that will run 1920x1080. It's not too hard to find those. Yeah it sucks to give up 120 vertical pixels, but not to the point of going to your extreme. And I don't get the part about the laptop screen being "in the way." I run many laptops with external monitors, the screen doesn't have to be in the way, and the dual-monitor support you get by having both the laptop screen and the external display active at once is far more convenient.

EDIT: Just at Newegg alone, they list 60 laptops with 1920x1080 resolution. The cheapest is $770. Six are under $1000. I really think this is your best bet.

dan233
12-01-2011, 05:35 PM
You re probably right
thanks