PDA

View Full Version : postgres.exe

eightsix
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
HEM gets so slow that it become unbearable.

I have 8 instances of postgres.exe running in my Process tab.

Is that normal?

fozzy71
08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
That is normal.

Try removing any transparency from the HUD panels so the numbers are shown on a solid color panel. If you are using multiple HDU panels, please try disabling that feature in HUD Options > Tables Preferences > Appearance > Choose Configuration {Select appropriate layout} > UnCheck the Enable Multiple Panels

I would suggest you also try the majority of the things in this thread: http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11194

Some of the most important things, imo:

- Turning off logging and deleting existing logs
- Vacuum/Full/Analyze, then Reindex
- SQL Tuning Wizard
- Defrag last and make sure you stop the postgresql service before you defrag. I personally use Defraggler.
- Do a Cold Boot (Shut Down > Start) before you use HM again

eightsix
08-13-2009, 08:57 PM
That is normal.

Try removing any transparency from the HUD panels so the numbers are shown on a solid color panel. If you are using multiple HDU panels, please try disabling that feature in HUD Options > Tables Preferences > Appearance > Choose Configuration {Select appropriate layout} > UnCheck the Enable Multiple Panels

I would suggest you also try the majority of the things in this thread: http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11194

Some of the most important things, imo:

- Turning off logging and deleting existing logs
- Vacuum/Full/Analyze, then Reindex
- SQL Tuning Wizard
- Defrag last and make sure you stop the postgresql service before you defrag. I personally use Defraggler.
- Do a Cold Boot (Shut Down > Start) before you use HM again

So for vaccumming, all you have to do go to the command prompt of postsql 8.3 and type VACUUM FULL or vacuumdb -afvz after having turning off the postgres.exe?

I realize its the postgres.exe that slows down my computer, why is it still running when I'm not running HEM?

and how do you turn it off properly when you are using your computer for other purposes.

The stop service command doesn't do it?

fozzy71
08-13-2009, 09:29 PM
So for vaccumming, all you have to do go to the command prompt of postsql 8.3 and type VACUUM FULL or vacuumdb -afvz after having turning off the postgres.exe?

SQL needs to be running so you can connect and vacuum. I just use pgadmin > right-click > maintenance on my DB and use the GUI.

http://www.holdemmanager.net/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=163

I realize its the postgres.exe that slows down my computer, why is it still running when I'm not running HEM?

Because it is installed by default as a service which will auto start at boot. For most users it isn't an issue.

and how do you turn it off properly when you are using your computer for other purposes.

The stop service command doesn't do it?

Yes, it does.

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

or

Start > Programs > PostgreSQL > 8.3 > Stop Service