PDA

View Full Version : Failed to establish a connection to '127.0.0.1'

Alizona
08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Ok, I've read all the threads on this error. I know what I need to do, which is uninstall everything AGAIN and reload everything from scratch AGAIN and import all my archived hand histories AGAIN... yada yada yeah I've been down this road more than once already and it is VERY frustrating.

Anyhow... I'm not looking for specifics of solution... I am looking for someone to explain to me in layman's terms what HEM is doing, what this POSTGRESQL thing is doing, and then please explain to me why this program crashes on me constantly and gives me this "127.0.0.1" error occasionally.

So let's start with what I DO know... very little really. I know this POSTGRESQL program is a "database". I know a "database" is just a collection of data in a file, in organized fashion so other programs can access it and use this data.

I also understand HEM is a program that can perform calculations on the data that is contained in the POSTGRESQL database. I understand this is where my statistics come from, from HEM performing calculations on my hand history data.

Ok, here's where I get lost.

Morny always tells me that it is either (a) my virus check program, or (b) my firewall, that is the reason for these HEM crashes and errors.

Well first of all, I do not run an anti-virus program. I do have AVG freeware installed "just in case", but I do not keep it resident in memory. When these problems first started after I bought HEM, I did not even have AVG. I became worried that my HEM problems were virus-related and I downloaded and installed AVG at that point to check... came up perfectly clean. I use MSCONFIG to uncheck the "AVG" application and prevent it from loading during boot up.

Second, my firewall is the stock, basic, standard-issue Windows Vista firewall. I am told that this could also be the source of the problem.

HUH?

You mean to tell me that HEM cannot communicate with POSTGRESQL because of the Vista firewall? Rubbish.

As a matter of fact, I DID go and shut down my firewall for a short time, cold rebooted my machine, and fired up HEM. Still get the same 127.0.0.1 error. Yep, it's gotta be that firewall all right!!

Ok, time for questions:

Where does the 127.0.0.1 IP address come from? Is that POSTGRESQL's "address" if you wish to connect to the database?

Can't I just allow all traffic a free pass to 127.0.0.1 in my Vista firewall (i.e. issue this IP address an "exception" from being checked)? Is this a security risk if I do so?

What is a Windows service, and why does POSTGRESQL have to be configured as one? To run as a "server", right? How come when I open the Windows Services popup and right click on POSTGRESQL and select "START", nothing happens? What is preventing it from starting?

Why does the POSTGRESQL service on my Vista laptop work perfectly fine but on my Vista desktop it doesn't - it just stays listed as "STARTING". On my laptop it is listed as "STARTED" and HEM works fine.

Why won't my service start properly on my desktop and why can't that be fixed easily without uninstalling and reinstalling everything? What causes a service to go bad?

Background: HEM has been working fine save for the occasional crash (much less frequent these days in the beta 1.09 23a). Unfortunately my video card blew up the other night while playing Team Fortress 2. Had to replace it with a new one. When I closed everything up and rebooted my rig, HEM now gave me the 127.0.0.1 error. What would cause this? All I did was uninstall my video drivers and reinstall new ones. What does this have to do AT ALL with POSTGRESQL/HEM???????

-Al

P.S. Thx for any layman's explanation of how this HEM/POSTGRESQL interaction actually works so I can try to understand what's going on and not get so angry about it. I've never had ANY program give me this many problems. And I know you guys are always trying to be helpful, I'm not mad at the customer support here, I just get angry because the solutions just don't make any sense to me. I need to understand.

fozzy71
08-13-2009, 01:15 AM
I can't really answer your questions, as I simply am not educated enough.

What I can offer/suggest, to get you up and running as fast as possible, is a remote support session with my support manager, so he can get your SQL DB working properly/consistently. He should be able to answer some of your questions as well.

Please email fabio@holdemmanager.net, with a link to this thread, and your forum name, so you can schedule a Teamviewer session. Download and install the Teamviewer software using all the default settings.

ImSoCute
08-13-2009, 03:51 AM
try this:

http://www.holdemmanager.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8261

had same problem on Win7 and it helped at 1st time

netsrak
08-13-2009, 04:43 AM
Just some short answers:

Postgresql is a database server not a database. Its running as a windows service and it offers the functionality for other programs to safe and organize data in databases.
There can be a postgresql database for Holdemmanager, another one for Pokertracker 3 and for lots of other programs which support Postgresql.

Postgresql organizes the data of every database in different files on the harddisk which you find in the postgresql data folder. But the relations between data and files are handled by Postgresql only. So don't touch any of these files or you will loose your data.

The access to the data is done by network connection (doesn't matter whether its the local computer or another computer in the network). 127.0.0.1 is just the internal IP adress of the local computer. And this is where the firewall makes problems. Because firewalls control and restrict network connections they so often make problems.

I hope Fabio can fix your problems via the remote session.

Please come back if you have further questions.

I wrote a longer article about postgresql basics in a german forum (unfortunately in german language). I don't think this would help you?

Alizona
08-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I appreciate the replies. I have decided to wipe my hard drive clean with a reformat and start over from scratch - install windows vista then install all my poker programs and other stuff.

Yeah it takes a while, a whole weekend basically... but I think it's the only way I'll ever feel like I've solved the HEM problems I've been having.

Alizona
08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
The access to the data is done by network connection (doesn't matter whether its the local computer or another computer in the network). 127.0.0.1 is just the internal IP adress of the local computer. And this is where the firewall makes problems. Because firewalls control and restrict network connections they so often make problems.

I just do not understand how this can happen.

How can the firewall not allow access between two programs that are both located on the same hard drive?

How come we - the admin on the computer, meaning we should be able to play GOD - cannot tell the firewall to "ignore any communication between POSTGRESQL and HEM, because it is safe"???

This is exactly what we do when we want to allow an outside program to access our computer thru the internet - we tell the firewall "it's ok, it's a safe program, you can allow it thru". I've done it before. Why can't I do this with HEM and POSTGRESQL?

netsrak
08-15-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't know your firewall but it should be possible.