PDA

View Full Version : Importing hands Very slow!

Scott
08-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Running Vista ultimate 64-bit w/8GB RAM Quad core CPU @ 2.66GHz
PostGreSQL is on the same drive as my OS - it is 2 physical drives mirrored or C:\
My file dump is on a second set of physical mirrored drives or E:\
Hand history storage is on a single high speed drive or G:\ which gets backed up daily.

I get datamined hands in bulk and dump to the E_Drive for importing.
my Data directory in portgreSQL is 39GB (C_DRIVE) and my Hand history text files on G_Drive is only 9GB. E_Drive is emptied on import.

When I get HH dumps, there are up to 300 files per day and up to 20-30K hands. Takes 2-3 hours sometimes and really bogs down my machine.

I'm thinking I need to take the Data file off the OS drive. your FAQ says on a much slower machine it should get 100 hands per second, so at 30K hands, this should take 5 minutes tops. My machine is much faster than the one listed in the FAQ as well.

Suggestions?

netsrak
08-12-2009, 03:20 AM
100 Hands per second is only possible with an empty database or on a very fast computer.

For a database which is already filled with lots of hands (lets say a million) on a standard computer 20-30 hands / seconds should be normal.

Moving your database to a different harddisk (E or G) will speed it up a little bit
and you should do regular maintenance (purge, vacuum/full)
and tuning: http://208.109.95.123/forum/showthread.php?p=62613&posted=1#post62613

Scott
08-13-2009, 12:09 PM
This is a very fast computer, latest and greatest, high speed drives hi end memory, the works. So I'm thinking only option is to move DB to another drive.

Do you have a link to walk through that peice?

Thank you,

Scott