PDA

View Full Version : HEM and Apple MAC?

tontobird
08-27-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking of returning my Dell, if they don't get back to me by tomorrow, it's gone.

May get a Sony, I had really good luck with my last one and know a number of people who have had good luck with more than one Sony.

But I'm also considering a MAC, I think the IBook Pro.

Need to research it but need to know if HEM will even work on a MAC before I spend my time researching.

Might also consider the Lenovo.

morny
08-27-2008, 04:39 PM
No Holdem Manager doesent work with the MAC

tontobird
08-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks!

starf
08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
what's your problem with dell? i love their laptops

tontobird
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Failure of game card requiring new motherboard, this within the first 3 weeks.

Took 5 hours and 3 different technicians (the first two of whom abandoned me) to troubleshoot.

Sloppy work by repairman sent to do job, granted, not Dell's fault.

Poor response on part of Dell sending me a replacement for damaged computer.

Was told I'd receive a return phone call 24-48 (72 maybe?) hours, took 9 days.

Incorrect build specs of replacement computer, the status of which I alerted the customer care rep prior to receiving it. He poo-pooed my concerns, saying that sometimes inventory numbers changed. He ignored other concerns of mine. When he finally emailed me back again, he got snippy and told me that everything was the same.

Well guess what, it wasn't. I told him in advance that the screen res was wrong according to the build specs (I have high res) he insisted it was built correctly. It wasn't, it was the normal res screen. I was so angry I didn't even check the other details.

It has again been 9 days since I informed them that the replacement computer is incorrectly built, by phone and by email, I have yet to hear from someone.

Back they both go. I am through with them.

BTW, this was the XPS M1530. It's not a cheap computer.

tontobird
09-07-2008, 12:09 PM
The new ones seem to be built with a Windows OS, and you can choose which operating system you want to use.

It would seem to me that that would work.

Yes? No?

Anyway, going to the Apple retail store today.

tontobird
09-07-2008, 09:19 PM
OK, so you have to install Windows.

I happen to have a copy of XP that I never used, had bought it thinking a computer I had needed it to work properly, but that turned out not to be the issue and I had already opened it.

You can choose to boot the computer in Windows or can run it on the Apple OS utilizing one of two programs, Parallels or I forget the name of the other one.

Running it on the Apple OS supposedly protects it, otherwise it's open to the same type of problems to which it's usually exposed.

I don't know.

Anybody have any experience with this?

tontobird
09-07-2008, 09:36 PM
I found someone successfully using the other program, VMware Fusion and Stars and HEM.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=291150

scroll down

Ugh, I am so torn.